The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go outside, get some fresh air and clear your head. Come back in, prepare everything you need to do the essay..turn off all distractions..sit down, and write!
Go and have a shower, change into something comfortable, then have something like a piece of toast and a cup of tea. Then go and sit in a room where there is no internet connection and as few distractions as possible. I know how you feel, because I often have the same problem myself.
Reply 3
go foir a relaxing walk or a bath chill out and then try again to do it!!
Reply 4
Being somewhere that you don't have internet access would be a start :wink:

The fewer distractions, the better...then again, I'm a habitual procrastinator, so what would I know? :biggrin:
Reply 5
susiemakemeblue
Go and have a shower, change into something comfortable, then have something like a piece of toast and a cup of tea. Then go and sit in a room where there is no internet connection and as few distractions as possible. I know how you feel, because I often have the same problem myself.

Heh, I had a shower, and I just had dinner :o: The internet thing is not usually a problem for me, I can sit at my computer working away without going on the internet, unless I'm in one of these annoying restless and unable to concentrate moods :frown: Which is hardly ever. Maybe it's caffine withdrawal? I usually drink loads of coffee but haven't had any since friday morning...
coffee!!!!!!!!!
whats the essay on?
You could go to a camp that teaches you about concentration, I forget the name.
Reply 8
Cate
I've been sitting here for most of the day trying to do my psychology essay which is due in tomorrow (we were only given the weekend to do it and I was away yesterday), and I have only done a couple of paragraphs. I just can't concentrate and now I have a headache, so.... any advice? It's kinda urgent :redface: :frown:

Not sure what a psychology essay is like but my best philosophy essays were those I wrote in the shortest time. Just let your ideas flow. I recommend thinking for about an hour on the subject, writing a plan, not really writing any proper sentences and then after that, just let the ideas flow.

I didn't smoke pot back then but friends who did, said they got the best ideas when they were high.

Ideas don't flow when you're not in a good emotional state: for example, people suffering from depression can't focus. So just relax, go for a walk, have a bath. Do something relaxing that will allow you to let your ideas build up without you needing to focus. Don't, however, go and watch TV or stay on here. That's not going to help your ideas form.
--------------
cheesecakebobby

Have some rep... lol
Reply 9
cheesecakebobby

In time for a tomorrow morning essay deadline?! Hmm I think not :tongue:

Blueangel
coffee!!!!!!!!!

See above post:tongue:

Blueangel
whats the essay on?

Depression. Ironically a subject I know tons about through experience, and would normally have no problem dashing off a 4-page essay. Except today :frown:
--------------
SamTheMan
Not sure what a psychology essay is like but my best philosophy essays were those I wrote in the shortest time. Just let your ideas flow. I recommend thinking for about an hour on the subject, writing a plan, not really writing any proper sentences and then after that, just let the ideas flow.

I didn't smoke pot back then but friends who did, said they got the best ideas when they were high.

Ideas don't flow when you're not in a good emotional state: for example, people suffering from depression can't focus. So just relax, go for a walk, have a bath. Do something relaxing that will allow you to let your ideas build up without you needing to focus. Don't, however, go and watch TV or stay on here. That's not going to help your ideas form.
--------------

Have some rep... lol

Good plan, but... I have the plan, the outline and all the ideas formed and written down already, I did it at the end of the lesson! It's just actually typing it out in coherent sentences that I can't concentrate on now :confused:
Reply 10
why don't you go to sleep for a few hours then set the alarm for a few hours time and refresh yourself with a nap then try and do it!!
need any help on the essay?
Reply 12
BlueAngel
need any help on the essay?

No thank you :smile: I'm a psychology nerd who's really good at it (sorry to blow my own trumpet :redface: )
If I cant concentrate, I usually splash cold water on mt face, take a small break ans have a few snacks, then work. Just keep saying to yourself, that it has to be in tomorrow and you dont wanna be up ALL night doing it and want your beauty sleep.

JUST GO AND DO THE DAMN ESSAY!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: get off TSR.
Reply 14
You're only feeling like this because you've given yourself a very short amount of time to complete the essay, and you feel it's like an impossible task to finish in time so your minds thinking, 'why even bother to start?'.
Cate
I've been sitting here for most of the day trying to do my psychology essay which is due in tomorrow (we were only given the weekend to do it and I was away yesterday), and I have only done a couple of paragraphs. I just can't concentrate and now I have a headache, so.... any advice? It's kinda urgent :redface: :frown:

OMG! that just describes the day i've had as well. :frown:
i have no advice though. im just drinking coffee by the bucket load, finishing off my tequila-to take away the stress, and chainsmoking....it does not work!! :mad: i anticipate that i shall be up until the small hours trying desperately to finish this essay. even though its got to be in tomorrow, i have the rest of the day off so i can try and work straight through til morning and go hand it in then go to bed :redface:
hmmm try a glass of wine...if im feeling anxious with work/load, i usually go for some of this and do some work - relaxes me etc...not too much mind you! Calms me down a little...de-stresses my mind, i tend to have a glass when doing the washing up too - gets very dull doing it otherwise...heeh.
wizard
hmmm try a glass of wine...if im feeling anxious with work/load, i usually go for some of this and do some work - relaxes me etc...not too much mind you! Calms me down a little...de-stresses my mind, i tend to have a glass when doing the washing up too - gets very dull doing it otherwise...heeh.

Surprisingly, that sounds like good advice. Unless you're really tired, that's a really good idea. Drinking coffee messes up your idea but consuming something relaxing like wine (and which isn't that bad for you, if you just drink a glass) can only help your ideas. Probably the better option if you can't smoke weed in your room.
Reply 18
qwerty_st/n
OMG! that just describes the day i've had as well. :frown:
i have no advice though. im just drinking coffee by the bucket load, finishing off my tequila-to take away the stress, and chainsmoking....it does not work!! :mad: i anticipate that i shall be up until the small hours trying desperately to finish this essay. even though its got to be in tomorrow, i have the rest of the day off so i can try and work straight through til morning and go hand it in then go to bed :redface:

Omg I have the rest of the day off after my essay is due in tomorrow too :eek:

I will try washing my face with cold water and getting a snack as BlueAngel suggested. :smile:
Thanks for all the advice. :smile:
i'm having a unusual concoction of tequila mixed with sugar, diluted with water to help me on my way. energy and alcohol in one fix-seems to be working too-not that ive written anything, just had loads if ideas!!! :biggrin: , and it tastes ok as well i suppose.

Latest

Trending

Trending