The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TotoMimo
Wh... I don't know what to say. I can't even eat FRIES with my Big Mac if I have one through fear of gastric explosion.

I washed it down with 0.5L of Iron Bru. I'm a beast. Although, I'm probably due for diabetes and cancer in the not too distant future.

:biggrin:

(provided I don't change my diet!)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by JupiterSunshine
Don't they say too that meat servings are meant to be the size of a block of cards :wtf: The cereal and noodle thing is crazy though, my two favourite foods.

I always end up having two packets of the mini cereal boxes....and it still doesn't fill up the bowl. In fact once I filled my bowl and weight it and the cereal came to 110g!! :zomg:

Oh, and as for recommended portions of meat, yeah - apparently you the average amount of meat you should consume is equal to a deck of playing cards... you shouldn't eat more than that in one sitting (a better way to judge, however, is apparently to equal the amount of meat to the size of the palm of your hand as this takes into account if you're a bigger person).

But it puts it into perspective actually SEEING it:

Grilled Chicken:

Steak:

Reply 62
Oh, and I thought this was too priceless to pass up. A weighed portion of bowtie pasta, dry, looks like this:

When it's uncooked, it looks even more absurdly paltry!!
:lolwut: This thread is depressing and I now feel rather round ..
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
I actually normally follow the serving guides; I half everything and measure everything. Even the other day I had to get the scales out to measure something like '100g' of frozen chips, because that's the amount it listed on the packet.

You won't starve, you just think you will. But then, I'm the person who uses a calculator in the supermarket to work out calorie contents per day (680 for today if you're so interested.) :rolleyes:

Oh, and if people want crisps, they sell some in Marks and Spencers at only 89 calories a packet.

This is not healthy behaviour!
Reply 65
Problem is... I'm a dude :frown: I should be BEEFCAAKE!

LMAO Maybe that's because you follow all the recommended serving sizes?

Jokes, your posts are really good, you take pictures and everything, and I'm disappointed I can only rep you once.

You must study journalism or something like that right?
Reply 66
Original post by Antiaris
HOW MUCH ICE CREAM CAN PEOPLE EAT?!

As a sort of opposite to most of this thread...

Porridge oats. Apparently a serving with water should be 50g, I manage around 35g every morning because 50 seems like a scary number when you see how much it expands in water. It really needs a little milk though, the serving might be lower cal with water, but also lower taste.

35gs of porridge?! You must be kidding me. You must be tiny! I hope for your sake you are female:biggrin:

I usually start the day with around 80-100g or so. I think Scott's Porage Oats calls 80g a serving, but I've got Sainsburys atm, and thats 50 like you said.

I got in the habit of huge bowls of porridge in the morning back when I was a vegetarian. I used to eat massive amounts, but when I started cooking with meat again I was amazed at how little I could eat (ie, normal amounts) compared to before.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
Oh, and I thought this was too priceless to pass up. A weighed portion of bowtie pasta, dry, looks like this:

When it's uncooked, it looks even more absurdly paltry!!

The pot bellied sparrows will be very disappointed!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 68
Original post by Harrifer
LMAO Maybe that's because you follow all the recommended serving sizes?

Jokes, your posts are really good, you take pictures and everything, and I'm disappointed I can only rep you once.

You must study journalism or something like that right?

Haha, I'm getting loads of lovely compliments today, starting to get a big head here though. Any more and I'm going to start becoming a pompous sod with a superiority complex... here's hoping! :P

No but seriously, thanks a bunch - and I don't always take pictures, sometimes just scour google, but I love a laugh and I love food talk. I've never studied Journalism, my masters is in Game Art and Animation, my BA (Hons) in Computer Arts and my HND was Video and Animation. So I suppose I just like the thought of entertaining and being entertained!

As for your comment on the bowtie pasta - AGREED! I can't wait to take my single spoonful of dinner... *gulp*... OH BOY, am I STUFFED!
Reply 69
Oh, and as for recommended portions of meat, yeah - apparently you the average amount of meat you should consume is equal to a deck of playing cards... you shouldn't eat more than that in one sitting

What exactly do they suppose is going to happen to us if we do?

The vast majority of weight problems are caused by an excess of sugar, not meat.

I have no idea what the regular posters in the fitness room would think if they saw this thread.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
So true...I managed to eat 500g of pasta in one sitting last week... :sogood:

Are you sure it was 500g? Isn't that the size of a whole pack?? How did it fit in the bowl/plate? I almost exploded after 100g once when I was starving!
Original post by Disenchanted
Are you sure it was 500g? Isn't that the size of a whole pack?? How did it fit in the bowl/plate? I almost exploded after 100g once when I was starving!

Well it wasn't a whole pack (I buy 1kg packs) so it was half a pack!

It filled a plate and pilled itself rather high! I hadn't eaten all day so it was breakfast lunch and dinner all rolled into one massively good meal!

(130kcal without milk)

OP We have the same remote/cable. :biggrin:

Finally, Super Noodles

Thats why I buy the 'Low Fat' version.:colone:

Not because I want to lose weight, but because its much healthier.
Haha, I'm getting loads of lovely compliments today, starting to get a big head here though. Any more and I'm going to start becoming a pompous sod with a superiority complex... here's hoping! :P

No but seriously, thanks a bunch - and I don't always take pictures, sometimes just scour google, but I love a laugh and I love food talk. I've never studied Journalism, my masters is in Game Art and Animation, my BA (Hons) in Computer Arts and my HND was Video and Animation. So I suppose I just like the thought of entertaining and being entertained!

As for your comment on the bowtie pasta - AGREED! I can't wait to take my single spoonful of dinner... *gulp*... OH BOY, am I STUFFED!

Computer Arts? AS in, Abertay? 8D Sorry if it's not, just that's the only course I know of with that title n__n''
Reply 75
Original post by ithoughtofthis
Thats why I buy the 'Low Fat' version.:colone:

Not because I want to lose weight, but because its much healthier.

Ah, but do you still only eat the "portion size"? Half the block? :wink:

It's ridiculous because you're only supposed to eat half the block, but they only give you one seasoning packet. CONSPIRACY.

Also, something that I find humorous is that with regards to Subway, Food Regulations recognises that a 6" filled sub and side (salad, cookie, crisps) and drink is a full meal. So if you have two sandwiches and make it a footlong, that's actually two meals, but because most people see it as "one sandwich" (despite being a full loaf), they don't make that connection!
Reply 76
Original post by caiitlinz
Computer Arts? AS in, Abertay? 8D Sorry if it's not, just that's the only course I know of with that title n__n''

That's the lad, Caitlinz! :biggrin:

http://www.ribena.co.uk/products-bottles.aspx

Ribena Blackcurrant 500ml Bottle
Nutritional Information

Typical values per 100ml
Energy (kJ) 181
Carbohydrate (g) 10.5
of which sugars (g) 10.5

Who drinks 100 ml out of a 500 ml bottle? In other words, there are over 50 grams of sugar in one bottle.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 78
Isnt serving size just a way for food manufacturer's to get around how "healthy" food is.

Super Noodles serving is HALF a block of noodles. Can you honestly tell me you eat half of a packet of Super Noodles?

Indeed i usaully put 2 - 3 and add other things like chilli's,onions,hotdogs, tomatoes and end up making noodles into a soup based noodles. Usaully 3 fills me up if theirs enough optional things like onions hotdogs and so on.

Screw serving sizes, as long as you stay healthy or burn off the excess calories you should be fine, but things like salt and sugar should be considered for the day, like if you've had daily allowance of salt just avoid eating anything else with salt.

Eat as much as you want just be smart on how you go about it, serving sizes is for food regulators and anorexics, but to them thats fat man's food.
Reply 79
Original post by Spexzzz
Isnt serving size just a way for food manufacturer's to get around how "healthy" food is.

Indeed i usaully put 2 - 3 and add other things like chilli's,onions,hotdogs, tomatoes and end up making noodles into a soup based noodles. Usaully 3 fills me up if theirs enough optional things like onions hotdogs and so on.

Screw serving sizes, as long as you stay healthy or burn off the excess calories you should be fine, but things like salt and sugar should be considered for the day, like if you've had daily allowance of salt just avoid eating anything else with salt.

Eat as much as you want just be smart on how you go about it, serving sizes is for food regulators and anorexics, but to them thats fat man's food.

I suppose, hence my starting the topic... obsessive, much? :colondollar:

Anyway back onto more examples! Papa John's and Pizza Hut both determine a "portion size" of their medium pizza to be 2 slices. They, however, give the nutritional value per single slice (usually between 300-400 per medium slice). This is reflected in the fact they say one pizza "serves 4 people" as well, I guess.

But I have a bunch of friends who eat a large one to THEMSELVES. I can't fathom it!

See - sometimes I think "Serving Sizes" are reasonable! Besides, getting like your entire day's worth of saturated fat, 800 calories etc from two slices of pizza anyway is pretty beastin' on its own.

Latest