The Student Room Group

Which university course for a career in the foreign commonwealth office?

Hi, ive got to choose between the following as a 6th option for my UCAS:

Bristol Computer Science
Bath Computer Science
York Computer Science
UCL Electronical Engineering and Computer Science
Southampton Electronical Engineering

Ive already applied to

Queens College Cambridge- Computer Science
Imperial College- Computing
UCL- Computer Science
Warwick- Computer Science
Imperial- Information Systems Engineering

im thinking that because im applying for the FCO, it may be better for me for the most prestigious university as a whole- rather than by department. Yes i do find the subjects ive applied for interesting, its just i wouldnt want to do them as a career. My grade(s)/predictions are AAAAAA,A/B in Double AVCE ICT, Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Business Studies and Further Mathematics.

thanks for any advice guys
Oops, I voted for Bath but I meant Bristol! Duh! :redface:
York is prob the best for Comp Sci out of that little lot...but they are all good so choose the one you like the most.
Reply 3
Don't go to Bath. The town is lovely but the university is horrible. I didn't like it at all even though it's a good one it's very claustrophobic. UCL is good though and so are York and Bristol.
Reply 4
York is generally as, if not more, prestigious than the ones you mentioned, and the Comp Sci course at York is excellent (and apparently very well thought of, though that's just something I heard)
Reply 5
Foreign and Commonwealth. Probably a distinction you should get before you start working there...

Um, aside from that, I have no real opinion on English Unis outside of the first five that spring to mind.
UCL of that lot although youd do better to just go to SOAS.
From my time at York, I've heard several people tell me that the CompSci departament here is one of the best in the country and is often regarded as one of the top departments at the Univeristy too.

So yep, I'd by far say that York offers you the ebst out of the others on that list.
an Siarach
UCL of that lot although youd do better to just go to SOAS.

ah yes but one must remember that it is extremely competitive getting into the FCO and if i didnt, i would be stuck with a degree that i may be limited to do things with.

By choosing an engineering degree at a top university i can still do plenty of other things.

--------------

LibertineNorth
Foreign and Commonwealth. Probably a distinction you should get before you start working there...

Um, aside from that, I have no real opinion on English Unis outside of the first five that spring to mind.

a distinction that i made in the poll title initially, just when i went to press "&" i obviously didnt hold the key down hard enough.
futureaussiecto
ah yes but one must remember that it is extremely competitive getting into the FCO and if i didnt, i would be stuck with a degree that i may be limited to do things with.

By choosing an engineering degree at a top university i can still do plenty of other things.

--------------

Fair enough though id have thought an engineering degree would be far more limiting than history say or a language degree.
Reply 10
an Siarach
Fair enough though id have thought an engineering degree would be far more limiting than history say or a language degree.

if im at imperial next year im going to do a diploma on the side at soas in a foreign culture to show my interests.
an Siarach

I dont enjoy languages as much as engineering. Yes i reckon i could speak foreign languages as part of my job, but if i didnt get into the FCO (whilst having my degree in languages) languages would have to be all of my job!

I just feel having a technical degree will not hinder me, but will also give me other options.

Anyone else like to advise out of the above courses? lol
There is no magic key to get you into the FCO, you have to be bright. They run an assessment centre to test you out so that's where you have to prove yourself.
ChemistBoy
There is no magic key to get you into the FCO, you have to be bright. They run an assessment centre to test you out so that's where you have to prove yourself.

yes but it does help having gone to a better university in general

Latest

Trending

Trending