The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

From London to Warwick to Manchester to London

I've been invited to open days at the Universities of Warwick and Manchester (both for Maths & Philosophy), one day after each other - Warwick is on March the 2nd, and Manchester on the 3rd! I'm planning to ideally travel to Warwick on the first of March (I live in Hayes, Middlesex), spend a day in a hotel there, do the open day, then travel to Manchester and do the same before getting back home to London.

I'll probably be on my own the entire time - neither of my parents are available during this time, and although I could ask a relative to accompany my, I'm quite excited by the prospect of such an adventure. :biggrin:

So what I want to know is:

1) How can I do this as cheaply (priority 1), conveniently and enjoyably (priority 2) as possible? i.e. train (which?), bus (which?), or if neither of these is viable, should I get someone to drive me (Id rather not, but it may be necessary if it'll save a good chunk of money)?

2) What B&Bs should I stay at and how much do they cost?

3) Is there anything else pertinent to this that it would be helpful for me to know?

Thanks a bunch in advance. :smile:
Original post by Killer Bean
I've been invited to open days at the Universities of Warwick and Manchester (both for Maths & Philosophy), one day after each other - Warwick is on March the 2nd, and Manchester on the 3rd! I'm planning to ideally travel to Warwick on the first of March (I live in Hayes, Middlesex), spend a day in a hotel there, do the open day, then travel to Manchester and do the same before getting back home to London.

I'll probably be on my own the entire time - neither of my parents are available during this time, and although I could ask a relative to accompany my, I'm quite excited by the prospect of such an adventure. :biggrin:

So what I want to know is:

1) How can I do this as cheaply (priority 1), conveniently and enjoyably (priority 2) as possible? i.e. train (which?), bus (which?), or if neither of these is viable, should I get someone to drive me (Id rather not, but it may be necessary if it'll save a good chunk of money)?

2) What B&Bs should I stay at and how much do they cost?

3) Is there anything else pertinent to this that it would be helpful for me to know?

Thanks a bunch in advance. :smile:

Check out things like Travelodge in advance for cheap deals. Failing that do a hotel/ B&B search on the web.

Try moneysavingexpert as well to be honest, they have loads of info on cheap travel and hotel deals :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Your easiest way to travel would be by train - you can get direct trains from London to Coventry and from Coventry to Manchester. So you could travel from Euston to Coventry (I suggest you try London Midland trains, which are slower but cheaper, and you may be able to get a good deal if you go off-peak). To travel from Coventry station to Warwick uni you take the number 12 bus (from the road bridge - Warwick Road - over the train tracks - there's a clear path from the station that takes you up here) but make sure you don't get off as soon as you see the blue Warwick signs - these start right at the edge of campus (at Westwood) so if you get off there you'll have a ten-minute walk to central campus. You'll know when you get to central campus. If you take this bus make sure you have the right money - it's £1.60 each way and they don't give change.

You could stay over in Coventry so that you're closer to the station for your onward journey to Manchester. Here's a hotel that's relatively close to Cov station and nice and big and modern -

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-2793-ibis-coventry-centre/index.shtml

then on your second day you get the train from Cov to Manchester, which is run by Cross Country trains.

If you prefer to stay closer to the uni why not contact the accommodation people there, in case they can rent you a room close to campus?

There are probably cheaper ways to do it (the megabus from London to Cov, for example) but trains are probably easiest and if you go on their websites now you might get some good deals, especially if you don't mind getting a specific train rather than an open ticket.

Have fun :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest