The Student Room Group

Want to be a midwife.......but is this holding me back

hi all,

so here is my situation , i left school , didnt really know what i wanted to do so chose a course in computing and have gained a BTEC in it which i think has given me ucas points, i then left home and moved in with my bf we have been living together i started an open uni course as we needed my income from my job in a local store , i have since gained a certificate in health and social care with them , but am thinking that i cant hack having not much support and would prefer to go to a uni , but i can see some hurdles i dont know what to do

1- what do i do about the open uni
2- does my certficate count for anything
3 will uni take my btec
4 as my bf relies on my full time income i dont think i could go to uni without help
do i stand a chance im 23 years old and just thinking what i want to do
Reply 1
Why can't your BF get an income?
1. Phone them up and ask them! That's likely to be the best way and I have no doubt that they'll help you out, if they find out that you want to attend a university full time they're going to be as supportive as possible.
2. It'll probably be a slight advantage if you're applying to midwifery courses, I guess.
3. Some will, some won't. It's not really related to the course but it does show that you can stick out academic study!
4. You'll get financial support, if that's what you mean.

To your last question- yes, absolutely, if you're willing to work hard to get in. You might have to do an adult access to higher education course (Usually one year) before going off to Uni, though.
I hope this helps you a bit. I'm not a midwifery student but I do have friends who are mature students who came from very similar backgrounds- they all made it into university!
Reply 3
Hey OP.

Your BTEC qualification won't be enough to get you onto a midwifery course because it has to be health related. What is your certificate in h&sc from the open uni? Is it a module towards something or is it a whole qualification?
I would check out each unis requirements. As you have the certificate in health and social care it might help you to get on with the btec. How many years was the btec?
If it doesn't then you can do an access course at a college which will give you the qualifications to get into uni and can be done in evening classes over 2 years.
As for the open uni I don't think they really care. I've just completed one module and am doing another just for the sake of doing them.
Reply 5
Evening classes would be a good option for me as i then can still work , and my open uni certificate is actually a certificate in Health and Social care.
I just am really worried that they wont let me in with anything that i have qualification wise
Reply 6
Original post by vicky100
Evening classes would be a good option for me as i then can still work , and my open uni certificate is actually a certificate in Health and Social care.
I just am really worried that they wont let me in with anything that i have qualification wise

if you do a ucas course search for midwiferyhttp://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/QPsU_3mAaUzEL8ueuvSemElKCkzh1-4-_I/HAHTpage/search.HsKeywordSearch.whereNext?query=439&word=MIDWIFERY you can find out what each course requires. if it's not clear, then call them.

Another option (expecially plausible if you live in a city/near a major hospital) is to find a job as a healthcare assistant, nurse assistant, or something similar. Then, unis may accept this, plus your BTEC as entry.

Quick Reply

Latest