The Student Room Group

Do I need to do Physics?

I am considering a Maths degree... (possibly)
I am definitely taking Maths and Further Maths, along with Geography, Government and Politics and Chemistry / History
Realistically, to get into a top uni, will I have to have done Physics at at least AS Level??

??

xxx
Reply 1
Very few if any, universities require physics if you're applying to do maths, further maths is the main subject that will help you getting into university :smile: and maths obviously....
Original post by Alphalpha
Very few if any, universities require physics if you're applying to do maths, further maths is the main subject that will help you getting into university :smile: and maths obviously....

.... however, a lot of Universities see Physics as a very desirable subject to have studied against an application for a maths degree. So not required, but it's another potential differentiator for your application. Mind, you seem to be pretty loaded with subjects already :wink:
Reply 3
Physics is a highly respected subject, so if you want to really stand out among 'top' universities, then I'd recommend it. But no, it's not needed.
Reply 4
Original post by cheese-lemming
I am definitely taking Maths and Further Maths, along with Geography, Government and Politics and Chemistry / History
Realistically, to get into a top uni, will I have to have done Physics at at least AS Level??

??

xxx

The simple answer is physics is not an absolute requirement but its a very useful subject if you're taking mechanics-be it A level or university as it enhances the understanding and appreciation of mechanics (a bit like government and politics).

You have to be realistic about your work load as you are already taking a lot of subjects. My advice for you is this-look closely at the 1st and 2nd year curricula of the universities of your choice and find out how much mechanics you are required to do and whether its optional-most first year courses are not optional. If you have to take mechanics (not uncommon at most top unis-warwick, imperial, cambridge, etc), I would recommend that you at least take some mechanics modules as part of your A level F maths. Physics complements mechanics so well and a combination of the two just makes life a lot easier. However, you can still learn mechanics without A level physics.

Some maths courses do not actually require you to take mechanics at all-eg statistics, actuarial, etc-depends really on your long term career plans. You have to choose very carefully especially if you end up not liking mechanics. Most mathematicians who are business/finance inclined dont tend to like mechanics because its more of a scientific subject.

If I may ask-are you taking any mechanics for your A level f maths? This might be a good starting point for you. What are your career aspirations? Which unis are you considering?

Good luck
Reply 5
Obviously, the dream unis would be ones like Cambridge and Warwick, but beyond that, any of the Russell Group or similar standard unis would be FAB!!!
I'm not entirely sure on the modules we take, but we definitely do at least one mechanics module. I wasn't looking to take Physics AS WELL, just maybe instead of Government and Politics or something else...
I don't really have a particular career aspiration, which is bad, but I don't really mind what I do as long as it's fun...
Reply 6

??

xxx

Realistically to get into a top uni for maths, you need to drop your "soft subjects", in this case, government and politics.
Physics would stand you a better chance at the top unis, check their entry requirements anyway. I'd say it's not essential, especially if you blow them away in your PS and interview, if you get there.
I'd say do physics or at least strongly consider it. I'm applying for maths at uni and physics at A2 is quite easy having a level maths behind it. You'll fly through trig/algebra stuff in the mechanics modules. tbh the perfect A levels for a maths degree are maths, further maths, physics and chemistry.

Another thing you might not have thought about is what homework you'll be getting. Physics and chemistry tends to be a page of textbook questions, notes and maybe the occasional experiment write up (chemistry). Geography/history and gov. and politics tends to be an essay a lesson which is a major pain if you're trying to focus on your maths work.
Reply 9
Original post by jharrington93

Another thing you might not have thought about is what homework you'll be getting. Physics and chemistry tends to be a page of textbook questions, notes and maybe the occasional experiment write up (chemistry). Geography/history and gov. and politics tends to be an essay a lesson which is a major pain if you're trying to focus on your maths work.

didn't think of that... thanks
didn't think of that... thanks

In further maths last year there was 15 of us to start with, and the kids doing the courses with lots of writing dropped like flies in the first month or so. Out of the 4 left, 3 of us do physics.
Reply 11
Definitely not necessary, I didn't take it.
Do consider it though, it's bound to be more interesting than say Geography :wink:

In all seriousness it'd help you later on, but it's not worth taking if you would enjoy it less than something else.
If you're doing further maths, then you won't need the physics as well. However, I would say that most of the physics course is maths so if you are good at maths then it would perhaps make sense for you to take physics as well.
Original post by mir3a
Realistically to get into a top uni for maths, you need to drop your "soft subjects", in this case, government and politics.

Not sure that's true, mate. I can't be certain because I havent spoken to the guy for 3 years but I know this guy who did G&P to at least AS level, perhaps further, and is doing maths at Cambrdige.

??

xxx

Lets get to the core of this. If you're hoping to go to COWI then physics is worth doing because Cambridge especially desire physics however it is by no means necessary. If you're not and you just mean in the top 20 or so then you don't have to do physics.
Reply 15
Original post by alexs2602
Not sure that's true, mate. I can't be certain because I havent spoken to the guy for 3 years but I know this guy who did G&P to at least AS level, perhaps further, and is doing maths at Cambrdige.

Thats the past mate, we're talking of the future here. Competition and what not has changed drastically.

Quick Reply

Latest