The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The City!? Whats it like?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucyyy
The Sportspark is on campus, it's about 5 minutes walk from the centre of campus (library/eateries/shops etc). Very convenient :smile: I've never used the gym etc but the swimming pool is lovely at least!

Brilliant! I'm super excited about the climbing, as there weren't any indoor facilities in Cambridge until recently and I didn't have time to go on trips for outdoor climbing with the University society. I also gym most days, so that's quite important.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by GaryPowers
15 Minute Bus journey from City to UEA is a slight understatement. It takes around 20 minutes or so. It really depends on traffic and the amount of stops. Some people say that the 25 is more frequent than the 35. It depends on the time of hour. As 25 runs till after late up to a certain time whereas the 35 stops running around 11 at night -ish.

When you first start you won't know where to go or the places to be at but as soon as you start making friends, getting used to where things are and the places to be on certain nights, you'll love it.
Anyways there are various bars/clubs and pubs that are all mainly around the City Centre.

Mondays - No one really goes out. It used to be Optics and Los a while back but it's mainly free entry at most places but it's the locals. Most people go to Project.
Tuesdays - Themed LCR nights.
Wednesdays - LoLa Los' - Can't beat £1 Jagerbombs on a Wednesday night.
Thursdays - Mercy, big nightclub in Norwich. But Project is bigger in some ways.
Fridays - Massive event called Propaganda at Project.
Saturday - Club night at LCR.

There are other places too you can explore like Vodka Revs for predrinks. Knowhere is a nice alternative but some people avoid it.
Havanas is a good place is like the after party, once you're pretty drunk , it doesn't really matter about the size of the venue.

All comes down to personal experience from what people like and where they want to go.

I have another question: do the clubs have cloakrooms? I went out clubbing recently in Cardiff and had to carry my coat with me all night because I was too cold to go without it outside but it was a bit annoying.
Reply 62
Another little-known gem exclusive to East Anglia... the East Anglia Lying Down Game :wink:

Facebook Group
Original post by Joseppea
Another little-known gem exclusive to East Anglia... the East Anglia Lying Down Game :wink:

Facebook Group

I laughed when I saw this! How interesting. In Australia, we call this 'Planking'... a bit catchier don't you think?! Anyway, a guy actually died doing it.

http://www.news.com.au/national/fatal-balcony-fall-linked-to-planking/story-e6frfkwr-1226056214322

Now there's a public safety uproar about it. So a word of warning to my East Anglian friends whom I will be joining this September!
Reply 64
Original post by emilykate57
I laughed when I saw this! How interesting. In Australia, we call this 'Planking'... a bit catchier don't you think?! Anyway, a guy actually died doing it.

we call it 'Norwich Planking' too, people do it all over the place :smile:
I don't think anyone should be worried about there not being much to do in Norwich/ getting bored, I've lived here forever and although I want to move to a bigger city at some point i'm still not bored!
The night life isn't the best in the world but my friends from other cities/ countries have stayed over and loved it - there are plenty of clubs with lots of different music genres, live music nights, LCR nights at uni, pubs..... it's small enough in the city centre that once you're out for a night everything is within walking distance. Everyone is really friendly and you can always have a good night out.

With regards to shopping I think Norwich is something like the 4th best in England :-) there are two malls and lots of shops, plus it's really pretty and medieval so that's a plus too. If you get bored there are half hourly trains direct to London Liverpool St. so it's easy to get away for a bit. The coast is really close by and it costs something like £3 for a bus to the beach so that's great for a change of scene.

I'm going to UEA but i'm moving into the uni village and can't waaaiiiitttt to get going with my course!!!!!
Reply 65
Original post by jelly1000
I have another question: do the clubs have cloakrooms? I went out clubbing recently in Cardiff and had to carry my coat with me all night because I was too cold to go without it outside but it was a bit annoying.

Most clubs have cloakrooms but they tend to charge
Original post by cdevlin
Most clubs have cloakrooms but they tend to charge

Yeah I was aware they might charge, but in winter I think I'll just have put up with the costs.
Just remember not to say anything nice about Ipswich.
Original post by jelly1000
Yeah I was aware they might charge, but in winter I think I'll just have put up with the costs.

If you were cold when you went out, you'd clearly not done enough pre drinking! :tongue:
Original post by I'mronburgundy?
If you were cold when you went out, you'd clearly not done enough pre drinking! :tongue:

unfortunatley it doesn't take much to make me cold.
If Norwich is anything like Cambridge, which I assume it is being so close, then winter's freezing!
Original post by Craghyrax
If Norwich is anything like Cambridge, which I assume it is being so close, then winter's freezing!

:sad: I'll have to stock up on jumpers and get a new jacket. :colone: :tongue:
Original post by diamonddust
:sad: I'll have to stock up on jumpers and get a new jacket. :colone: :tongue:

It has shops :p: You can just see how it goes and buy things as you need them.
I'm one of those people that's almost perpetually cold (apart from in summer when I'm always too hot :rolleyes:) and I didn't find the winter that bad tbh :dontknow:
I don't attend UEA but I live 14 miles from Norwich so know it pretty well :smile: if you have any questions about Norwich then feel free to message me, I don't mind.
Reply 75
Original post by Lucyyy
The Sportspark is on campus, it's about 5 minutes walk from the centre of campus (library/eateries/shops etc). Very convenient :smile: I've never used the gym etc but the swimming pool is lovely at least!

Soz to quote you from quite a long time ago, but I was wondering what the pool is like?
Is it open pretty early/ pretty late so that I can avoid most of the crowds? :colondollar:

Original post by Nut.
Soz to quote you from quite a long time ago, but I was wondering what the pool is like?
Is it open pretty early/ pretty late so that I can avoid most of the crowds? :colondollar:

If you go on the sportpark website you can download a pdf that has the pool times, and whether it's split into two pools or not etc :smile:

Clicky :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
If you go on the sportpark website you can download a pdf that has the pool times, and whether it's split into two pools or not etc :smile:

Clicky :smile:

Awesome, thanks! :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by Nut.

You can find the times here: http://sportspark.co.uk/activities-sports/swimming/
It's much cheaper if you go during an off-peak time, only £1.60 for students :smile: It's a lovely pool though, 50m olympic size.. shame I could only be arsed to go once!

edit: I'm so slow :emo:
(edited 12 years ago)
I know this has already been asked (and answered) a million times but I can't remember which thread it was on. Which bank branches are there on campus or close to campus?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending