The Student Room Group

Learning German language: The German Learners' Society (MKII)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thegodofgod
Ja :wink:

Ja, die Niederlande, soweit ich weiss. :smile:

Ich habe gerade beim Wikipedia untersucht, und habe herausgefunden, dass Heineken eine der größsten Bier-Firmen ist - ich wusste es schon nicht, dass sie Bier in mehr als 70 Ländern verkauft!

Echt? Das hab ich auch nicht gewusst. Meiner Meinung nach schmeckt es nicht so gut :tongue:

Original post by GingerGoat
Sie ist, natürlich ich ihr das nicht erzählen kann :tongue:
Meine Eltern sind vor Kurzem geschieden, so es war eine tolle Reise "weg der Heim"(?).
Sie war eine "Punk" in 70s. Es ist seltsam das alte Fotos sehen! Unsere Eltern werden nie uns jung aussehen. Wir werden nur die alte Form von ihnen kennen.

Das tut mir Leid :frown:
Ich mag alte Fotos, weil man darueber lachen kann :laugh:

Original post by Jackcs
Ja, Zeit passiert immer schneller, bald werden wir keine Haare haben :frown:

Hoffentlich nicht!

Original post by jo1692
I have an insight to share with you all and wondered if anyone could offer any kind of explanation. I live in Munich, and down here, people tend to use the perfect tense for pretty much everything in the past in informal speech (I am told in bloody-Hochdeutsch-speaking-Prussians tones that up north they use the praeteritum a little bit more in speech). But I have noticed some verbs are always or sometimes spoken in the praeteritum (apart from the usual ones, namely sein/haben/modal verbs/es gab/werden). These include:

heißen - es hieß, dass... / er hieß Johannes
liegen - es lag auf dem Bett
nennen - er nannte ihn...
kommen (only sometimes, and only ich/er/sie/es kam) - als ich zurück kam...
denken - ich dachte
gehen - not in the sense of ich ging zur Schule, but in the sense of es ging gut

And probably some others that don't come to me right now.

My original thought was it's perhaps for brevity, or because the perfect form sounds a bit too cumbersome i.e. hieß vs er hat gehießen. But then on second thought, that doesn't seem to bother Germans too much elsewhere in their language. Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Thank you!

The only thing I can think of is that they don't bother with grammar so much there. That was something I noticed when I lived just outside of Munich.
Original post by .snowflake.
Ist das ja so schlimm? Das war nur ein Fehler, und ich bin sicher, dass deine Grammatikkentnisse ist besser als meine!

es war peinlich weil ich das AUF ENGLISCH sagte. Ich sagte laut mitten im Unterricht, "And so we become the two texts?" und die anderen haben mich so komisch angestarrt :tongue:
Original post by such_a_lady
es war peinlich weil ich das AUF ENGLISCH sagte. Ich sagte laut mitten im Unterricht, "And so we become the two texts?" und die anderen haben mich so komisch angestarrt :tongue:

Aaah. Ich verstehe.
Original post by hannah_dru
Echt? Das hab ich auch nicht gewusst. Meiner Meinung nach schmeckt es nicht so gut :tongue:

Das tut mir Leid :frown:
Ich mag alte Fotos, weil man darueber lachen kann :laugh:

Hoffentlich nicht!

The only thing I can think of is that they don't bother with grammar so much there. That was something I noticed when I lived just outside of Munich.

The grammar is perfectly right (besides the "while" scandal), we just choose Präteritum and Perfekt as we please. Nothing wrong with that :wink:
Original post by Sir Fox
The grammar is perfectly right (besides the "while" scandal), we just choose Präteritum and Perfekt as we please. Nothing wrong with that :wink:

My friends there don't use the correct grammar but then they are Bavarian. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it...
My friends there don't use the correct grammar but then they are Bavarian. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it...

Ah, so that's the reason. Well, Bavaria is a nice country, they have some great food and Munich is beautiful, but their language is a joke. I just like Germany better :wink: :biggrin:

Total lustig :rofl: Ich verwechsle manchmal Englisch mit Französisch, also begreife ich das Problem! Wir müssen nun einmal auf falsche Freunde aufpassen, sogar wenn wir auf Englisch reden.
Original post by Sir Fox
Ah, so that's the reason. Well, Bavaria is a nice country, they have some great food and Munich is beautiful, but their language is a joke. I just like Germany better :wink: :biggrin:

The rest of Germany you mean?
I like the dialect, it's cool! Tbh I just like the whole of Germany.
Reply 3928

"The rest of Germany" - not a Bavarian perspective :wink:
Original post by Sir Fox

It's not a country, it's part of Germany!? :p: You're right about Munich being beautiful though.
Original post by jo1692
"The rest of Germany" - not a Bavarian perspective :wink:

It seems totally separate at times tbh but I was trying not to be rude by implying that it's a state and not a country :colondollar:

Original post by xmarilynx
It's not a country, it's part of Germany!? :p: You're right about Munich being beautiful though.

It seems totally separate at times tbh but I was trying not to be rude by implying that it's a state and not a country :colondollar:

You would not have been rude, that was actually my point. Most Germans have some kind of a funny attitude towards Bavaria and Bavarians. Their dialect is just very strong and proper Bavarian rather sounds like a different language than proper German, also some of their attitudes and culture is rather weird. Other parts of Germany have different dialects as well, but none is as strong and distinctive as Bavarian. It's also a running gag for Bavarians to introduce themselves with "I'm from Bavaria, that's close to Germany." when on vacation abroad :biggrin:

Edit: Ah, so you really thought I'd think that Bavaria is a proper country instead of a Bundesland? I'm actually german :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sir Fox
You would not have been rude, that was actually my point. Most Germans have some kind of a funny attitude towards Bavaria and Bavarians. Their dialect is just very strong and proper Bavarian rather sounds like a different language than proper German, also some of their attitudes and culture is rather weird. Other parts of Germany have different dialects as well, but none is as strong and distinctive as Bavarian. It's also a running gag for Bavarians to introduce themselves with "I'm from Bavaria, that's close to Germany." when on vacation abroad :biggrin:

Edit: Ah, so you really thought I'd think that Bavaria is a proper country instead of a Bundesland? I'm actually german :wink:

I know! :smile:

Well, some people do and hey, I don't post here a whole lot anymore. I had this whole argument with some guy who insisted that because it's "Bundesland" that it means country.
Original post by Sir Fox

Being Bavarian is a bit like being Scottish I get the feeling, since we have all our very distinct customs also. And we invariably introduce ourselves abroad as Scottish. I know it may be a bit different, since Scotland is actually a country. Lots of countries seem to have a "Bavaria" though, Spain has Catalonia for example. Doesn't Catalonia have its own parliament too, now?
Reply 3934
Original post by GingerGoat
Ja, ich liebe ein Student sein :biggrin:
OK. Ich studiere Verfahrenstechnik (Chemical & Process Engineering, es gibt ein neues langes Wort für dich :tongue:) in Glasgow. Im nächsten akademischen Jahr fahre ich nach Singapore leben :smile: Ich will im Moment mit der Forschung arbeiten, wenn ich graduiere. Das wird wahrscheinlich ändern. Wenn ich in der Schule war, bis S5, ich wollte einen Arzt werden! Jetzt kann ich nichts mir schlecter vorstellen! :tongue: Ich kenne, dass ich im Ausland leben will. Schottland ist lieblich aber ich kann später zurückkommen :smile:

Und dein Leben? :smile:

Ah, sehr interessant :smile: ja, ich mache Biologie, Chemie, Mathe und Deutsch. Und ich weiß nicht, ob ich Artz sein will oder nur Natural Naturwissenschaften machen will. Um Arzt zu werden, muss man so viel machen, für so lang tranieren.. Aber man verdient sehr viel Geld :P und ich liebe mit Leuten zu arbeiten und sprechen. Wie findest du Verfahrenstechnik? Kannst du mir über es erzählen?
Glasgow ist auch ein sehr Universität, ich meine :smile:
Auch habe ich über in Ausland wohnen gedacht, wahrscheinlich in Deutschland. Ich liebe Deutschland, ich habe dreimal besucht. Ich habe Familiefreunde da, die im Schwarzwald wohnen - echte schöne Aussichten!
anyone doing AS EDEXCEL :biggrin:
Original post by Jackcs
(...) Aber man verdient sehr viel Geld :P (...)

Im Verhältnis zur Verantwortung und zu ihrer Leistung ist dies meiner Meinung nach, zumindest hier in Deutschland, zu wenig.
Guckt jmd das Spiel? :ninja:
Ich habe gerade die Notegrenzen für die mündliche Prüfung und sie würden einen Stein erweichen!

Aus 50 unbearbeiteten Punkten muss man 47 kriegen um einen A* zu bekommen, 44 für einen A, 39 für einen B. :frown:

In der letzten Probeprüfung kriegte ich 42 - einen B :frown:

Morgen habe ich eine zweieinhalb studenlange Prüfung, in der ich zwei Aufsätze und eine Übersetzung ins Deutsche schreiben muss :eek:

Ich schieße mich morgen ab :sadnod:
Guckt jmd das Spiel? :ninja:

Was ist passiert? Hab Waterloo Road angeschaut.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending