The Student Room Group

Learning German language: The German Learners' Society (MKII)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingofSpades
back from Berlin- very cold, minus 10 one night. The transport police look brutal and are inflexible, and most clubs have brick up the ass bouncers who like 21+, with girls, no more than 2 lads. Had some decent pub crawls and the Zoo was good. Any Berliners know the name of the accumulation of clubs/bars near Zoologischer Garten? I feel like writing a warning for tourists.

Is Berlin THAT bad? I'm off there in July with the rest of my AS German group and a few nutters in Y11 that want to do AS German. 8 weeks and a bit until my speaking exam of the actually counts variety. Dreading it.
Original post by .snowflake.
Is Berlin THAT bad? I'm off there in July with the rest of my AS German group and a few nutters in Y11 that want to do AS German. 8 weeks and a bit until my speaking exam of the actually counts variety. Dreading it.

No, it's not bad, just not particularly good.

The scene with the chavs that I described above shocked me, as, up till that point, I hadn't seen any- and that was within the space of 3 or 4 days.
It won't be (that) cold in July, either.
No, it's not bad, just not particularly good.

The scene with the chavs that I described above shocked me, as, up till that point, I hadn't seen any- and that was within the space of 3 or 4 days.
It won't be (that) cold in July, either.

That's good about it not being that cold in July. Went to Koeln, Konigswinter, Cochem in March last year. So cold.
I am not a fan of Berlin myself. Though -10 is nothing :h: winter nights in Dresden could get at cold as -25...
Original post by SpiritedAway
I am not a fan of Berlin myself. Though -10 is nothing :h: winter nights in Dresden could get at cold as -25...

I met a few people from Dresden- none of them seemed to know Slaughterhouse 5- quite perplexing.
Reply 65
Original post by jakemittle
:O
Wirklich?...das steht nirgendwo :biggrin: (das ist meine Ausrede :wink:)

What about my avatar, then?:p:
I met a few people from Dresden- none of them seemed to know Slaughterhouse 5- quite perplexing.

Nor have i...
Reply 67

So you were expecting (presumably quite young) Germans to be well-versed in the previous generation's American cult-novels? Really?:s-smilie:
Original post by hobnob
What about my avatar, then?:p:

es konnte irgendetwas bedeuten :biggrin: hehe
Also, du heisst Elizabeth? :smile:
Reply 69
es konnte irgendetwas bedeuten :biggrin: hehe
Also, du heisst Elizabeth? :smile:

War wahrscheinlich etwas zu subtil.:biggrin:
Original post by hobnob
So you were expecting (presumably quite young) Germans to be well-versed in the previous generation's American cult-novels? Really?:s-smilie:

Yeh weird init. Their greatest claim to fame in anglocentric life.
Reply 71
can someone please translate something as i am too lazy to do it myself :tongue: rep willl be given
Reply 72
Original post by SpiritedAway

- 20 when I was there last week. + 11 in Essen at the same time.....

Dresden...... weird dialect. makes me laugh whenever I hear it. but I know you like it. yoou freak...... :tongue:
Reply 73
Original post by Economixx
can someone please translate something as i am too lazy to do it myself :tongue: rep willl be given

I don´t care about reps but I will help you if you want me to. you could add me to your msn list.

btw, lazy you... :P
Reply 74
In febuary 2009 der Spiegel reported taht smoking bans were very weakly enforced by authorities and in many places the ban wanst observed at all. The poor enforcement shows that the government aren’t as willing to ban smoking themselves. So the ban may not have the desired affect at all.
Some german bar owners often take the attitude of ‘this is my store/bar / restaurant and its my property so therefore i will allow people to smoke on my property’ which can be seen as reasonable.
Prevalence of smoking is high in Germany1 and young people, especially, show one of the highest smoking prevalences in Europe.2 This is mainly due to the lack of efficient tobacco control measures in Germany,3 e.g. the widespread availability of cigarettes through vending machines. Germany has probably the highest distribution of cigarette vending machines in the world per capita with 726? 000 vending placed all over the country in 2004. This is crucial because the use of these machines does not have any social control and, thus, cigarettes are easily available to children and adolescents also. Therefore a smoking ban may not affective at all.
Most of all is a smoking ban democratic. People have the right to smoke in bars and restaurants given that the owner allows it. Its easy to say that a smoking ban harms non-smokers but really the human rights of a smoker should be protected. Maybe a compromise should be made or an initiative that allows both parties to be rightfully protected.

is anyone still up and bothered to translate ???

rep+
Reply 75
Original post by Economixx
In febuary 2009 der Spiegel reported taht smoking bans were very weakly enforced by authorities and in many places the ban wanst observed at all. The poor enforcement shows that the government aren’t as willing to ban smoking themselves. So the ban may not have the desired affect at all.
Some german bar owners often take the attitude of ‘this is my store/bar / restaurant and its my property so therefore i will allow people to smoke on my property’ which can be seen as reasonable.
Prevalence of smoking is high in Germany1 and young people, especially, show one of the highest smoking prevalences in Europe.2 This is mainly due to the lack of efficient tobacco control measures in Germany,3 e.g. the widespread availability of cigarettes through vending machines. Germany has probably the highest distribution of cigarette vending machines in the world per capita with 726? 000 vending placed all over the country in 2004. This is crucial because the use of these machines does not have any social control and, thus, cigarettes are easily available to children and adolescents also. Therefore a smoking ban may not affective at all.
Most of all is a smoking ban democratic. People have the right to smoke in bars and restaurants given that the owner allows it. Its easy to say that a smoking ban harms non-smokers but really the human rights of a smoker should be protected. Maybe a compromise should be made or an initiative that allows both parties to be rightfully protected.

is anyone still up and bothered to translate ???

rep+

How about you gradually get used to the idea of doing your own homework instead of trying to get other people to do it for you?:rolleyes:
If you're desperately stuck at some point, if you want a detailed explanation of when (not) to use a word or if a certain grammatical form doesn't make sense to you, fine. I'm more than happy to help in any of those cases, but this is just getting ridiculous. Not only are you asking people to do your homework for you, you're asking them to translate a paragraph which you've clearly nicked from a journal article - you didn't even bother to remove the footnotes after copying and pasting. Now I know you've already admitted to being 'lazy', but that really takes the cake.:mad: Simply adding 'rep+' at the end of your post doesn't make this OK.
Original post by Cynthi007
I don´t care about reps but I will help you if you want me to. you could add me to your msn list.

btw, lazy you... :P

immer auf MSN? Vielleicht spaeter werde ich deine Erlaubnis einholen, um dir hinzuzufuegen? :smile:

NS. hinzuzufuegen ist ein sehr cooles Wort :biggrin:
Reply 77
immer auf MSN? Vielleicht spaeter werde ich deine Erlaubnis einholen, um dir hinzuzufuegen? :smile:

NS. hinzuzufuegen ist ein sehr cooles Wort :biggrin:

fel free to add me. :-) I would be happy. we can write in english or german. as you like to.
Guys, was ist der Unterschid zwischen einen Betrieb und einen Unternehmen? :smile:
Original post by Cynthi007
fel free to add me. :-) I would be happy. we can write in english or german. as you like to.

Sure!..Will do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending