The Student Room Group

Learning German language: The German Learners' Society (MKII)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kamara7
Congratz! :smile:

Never expected a congratulant. It is getting lesser the closer the 10.000 comes.

Original post by Kamara7
Thanks! Now I know how to shout at someone AND make sense! :biggrin:

Nice. Can you demonstrate some imperatives now? don't forget to shout!
Original post by Kallisto
Never expected a congratulant. It is getting lesser the closer the 10.000 comes.

Nice. Can you demonstrate some imperatives now? don't forget to shout!

I'll do my best :colondollar:

Beantworte die Frage! - Answer the question! (du)
Nehmt, was ihr wollt! - Take what you want! (ihr)
Gehen Sie geradeaus! - Go straight ahead! (Sie)

I hope the first two are right, I'm more confident on the last one!
Original post by Kamara7
I'll do my best :colondollar:

Beantworte die Frage! - Answer the question! (du)
Nehmt, was ihr wollt! - Take what you want! (ihr)
Gehen Sie geradeaus! - Go straight ahead! (Sie)

I hope the first two are right, I'm more confident on the last one!

All are correct. With respect to the first sentence, you need a bit changed sentence:

Du sollst die Frage beantworten!
All are correct. With respect to the first sentence, you need a bit changed sentence:

Du sollst die Frage beantworten!

OK, thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by Kamara7
OK, thanks! :biggrin:

I help where I can as a native speaker, and I can a lot. That is nothing special.
Ich suche ein Deutsches 'Pen Pal' - irgendwen interressiert ? Es wird schoen 5 jahre seit ich letztes mal Deutsche gesprochen hatte...und langer mit dem schreiben. Kann jemand mir helfen?
Original post by Mieka
Ich suche ein Deutsches 'Pen Pal' - irgendwen interressiert ? Es wird schoen 5 jahre seit ich letztes mal Deutsche gesprochen hatte...und langer mit dem schreiben. Kann jemand mir helfen?

Mit dem Schreiben immer, mit dem Sprechen nicht. :smile:

Oh and by the way Happy Easter to all German Learners in advance!
I have a question about a specific sentence, not entirely sure where I should post, so I'll put it here :P

meine mutter.PNG

Surely it should be "meine Muitter liest zeitschriften sehr gerne", as the verb is at the end of the sentence?

Cheers :smile:
Original post by TDChattell
I have a question about a specific sentence, not entirely sure where I should post, so I'll put it here :P

meine mutter.PNG

Surely it should be "meine Muitter liest zeitschriften sehr gerne", as the verb is at the end of the sentence?

Cheers :smile:

gern is moreso used as an adjective which is what it's doing in that sentence (hence the e ending on gern and its placement).

If it was a verb it would go to the end of the sentence :smile:
Can someone help me on German grammar as in the der das die thingy and nominative accusative and dative and how it all works because I just don't understand any of it !
Original post by EllieHanna
Can someone help me on German grammar as in the der das die thingy and nominative accusative and dative and how it all works because I just don't understand any of it !

I am sure, I can. Should I explain it by some examples? if yes, so give me a bit more time. I can't give good answers in my break, not to mention during working time.
Original post by EllieHanna

So, I am at home now. Let's go!

Yeah, the genus in Germany is completely dfferent to Britain. The Germans distinguish from der, die and das, while the Britains have just one for everything. There is really a grammar rule for those genera:

Der is always used, if the word has a masculine sound. Examples:

Der Hafen (the harbour)
Der Hersteller (the manufacturer)
Der Autohändler (the car dealer)
Der Sänger (the singer)...

Die is always used, if the word has a feminine sound. Examples:

Die Straße (the street)
Die Wohnung (the flat)
Die Musik (the music)
DIe Mauer (the wall)...

Das is always used, if the word has a neutral sound. Examples:

Das Fenster (the window)
Das Gelände (the area)
Das Gebäude (the building)
Das Gebot (the bid)

For Germans it is an easy rule to learn, but for English-native seakers it might be complicated. But that's it!

The Nominative can be distinguished from the Accusative even for English-speakers so easily, when you look for the subject and the object. The subject of a sentence is always the nominative, the subject is quasi the center of the sentence. The object instead is the addition to the subject. Examples:

Der Bauer (subject -> nominative) melkt die Kuh (object -> accuasative).

Das Auto (subject -> nominative) steht in einer Gasse (object -> accusative).

Weil am Abend die Sonne (subject -> nominative) unterging, konnte man das Abendrot (object -> accusative) sehen.

Was that helpful for you? If you want, I give you some sentences to exercise.
Hey guys I thought I would start this up again for a totally non selfish reason :wink:

So I've already done GCSE German and I'm predicted to get an A* but I'm not continuum it for A-level incase I lose interest. At the moment though I'm trying to be as good as I can and improve my skills slightly.
Ladies and Gentleman: I did it! Finally, I really did it. It is the *

:party:10,000 post!!! :party:

*It is exactly four and a half year when I signed TSR up. This is a good occasion for a review: When I signed up, I was planning to improve my English language skills and my understanding for this one. Thus the goal, writing 10,000 posts, was both a motivation to participate in TSR durably and also a joke of my own, as I would never have thought I would achieve this holy border of a legend, don't to mention in this short time in which I am online. And the (long) thousand posts before, I have always told what it made with me: began to read texts, poems and even novels in English, listening to English music and watching English films. I even began to talk with people who are (quite) good in this foreign language. They were astonished why I am so good in this language without having experiences by travelling. I needed TSR, as I am not used to going to English speaking countries to perform the knowledge. Without it, I would had never made so many progresses. And I have hardly opportunities to improve it as a foreign-speaker living far away from the UK. Thanks to TSR, I have even got a passion for this language, although it didn't count to my favorite from the beginning.

In this time, I have shared my thoughts and experiences with another members in everyday issues, I have helped students, where I can (even if I was wrong now and then), I have given advices to people and I have listened to musics, I have taken part in polls and discussions, I have even written haikus (greetings to you, the bear!). That is what stands for four and a half years and 10,000 posts in those.

*During this time I have thought about a new challenge, that is to say learning another foreign language, say Spanish. I really would love to learn it, but I can't at the moment. After got quite fluent in English, it is time to try something new. After 10,000 posts that is the new, a better and a tougher goal in my life. *
Kallisto :smile:

P.S.: don't look at the Stars (*) in my writings. They are a glitch of TSR.
Ladies and Gentleman: I did it! Finally, I really did it. It is the *

:party:10,000 post!!! :party:

*It is exactly four and a half year when I signed TSR up. This is a good occasion for a review: When I signed up, I was planning to improve my English language skills and my understanding for this one. Thus the goal, writing 10,000 posts, was both a motivation to participate in TSR durably and also a joke of my own, as I would never have thought I would achieve this holy border of a legend, don't to mention in this short time in which I am online. And the (long) thousand posts before, I have always told what it made with me: began to read texts, poems and even novels in English, listening to English music and watching English films. I even began to talk with people who are (quite) good in this foreign language. They were astonished why I am so good in this language without having experiences by travelling. I needed TSR, as I am not used to going to English speaking countries to perform the knowledge. Without it, I would had never made so many progresses. And I have hardly opportunities to improve it as a foreign-speaker living far away from the UK. Thanks to TSR, I have even got a passion for this language, although it didn't count to my favorite from the beginning.

In this time, I have shared my thoughts and experiences with another members in everyday issues, I have helped students, where I can (even if I was wrong now and then), I have given advices to people and I have listened to musics, I have taken part in polls and discussions, I have even written haikus (greetings to you, the bear!). That is what stands for four and a half years and 10,000 posts in those.

*During this time I have thought about a new challenge, that is to say learning another foreign language, say Spanish. I really would love to learn it, but I can't at the moment. After got quite fluent in English, it is time to try something new. After 10,000 posts that is the new, a better and a tougher goal in my life. *
Kallisto :smile:

P.S.: don't look at the Stars (*) in my writings. They are a glitch of TSR.

Congrats again! :parrot: :jive: :party: (A bit late but I was, like, busy worrying about A Level grades and stuff :lol:) Your post almost brings a tear to my eye!

Also, can anyone help with translating this sentence please: Wenn die Eltern glauben, dass ihr Kind noch nicht bereit ist, sollte es erst mit 7 Jahren in die Schule gehen.

So far I got: If the parents believe that their child isn't ready yet... then I'm stuck! I think it's along the lines of their child should go to school at the age of 7 (as opposed to 6 years old, which is what the topic's about), but that "erst" is confusing me. Why's it there?!

And another thing, when would you use the word "andersrum"?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by Kamara7
(...) *Also, can anyone help with translating this sentence please: Wenn die Eltern glauben, dass ihr Kind noch nicht bereit ist, sollte es erst mit 7 Jahren in die Schule gehen.

So far I got: If the parents believe that their child isn't ready yet... then I'm stuck! I think it's along the lines of their child should go to school at the age of 7 (as opposed to 6 years old, which is what the topic's about), but that "erst" is confusing me. Why's it there?!

And another thing, when would you use the word "andersrum"?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

I would translate the sentence a bit different than you: "If the parents have the impression their child is not willing to go to school (with six years), so it has to be at the age of 7 then."

That sounds clear, understandable and a bit polished in rhetoric. Just a clue: if one-to-one translation stucks you, make some differences. The meaning is the main point!*

"Andersrum" in English: vice versa, the other way round.
Wenn die Eltern glauben, dass ihr Kind noch nicht bereit ist, sollte es erst mit 7 Jahren in die Schule gehen.

If the parents believe that their child is not yet ready for school, the child should enter/start (school) at the age of 7.

If the parents believe that their child is not yet ready, the child should enter/start school at the age of 7

I think that's how it would be said by a native English speaker? It's a difficult one to translate because the sentence structure is very different in German to English. The 'erst' here is more of an emphasis rather than a literal translation (they should first be 7 to enter school) however that doesn't work as well with the first part of the sentence in English so I changed it to something a bit more natural sounding. Kallisto gives the more literal translation.
I would translate the sentence a bit different than you: "If the parents have the impression their child is not willing to go to school (with six years), so it has to be at the age of 7 then."

That sounds clear, understandable and a bit polished in rhetoric. Just a clue: if one-to-one translation stucks you, make some differences. The meaning is the main point!*

"Andersrum" in English: vice versa, the other way round.

Original post by Mieka
Wenn die Eltern glauben, dass ihr Kind noch nicht bereit ist, sollte es erst mit 7 Jahren in die Schule gehen.

If the parents believe that their child is not yet ready for school, the child should enter/start (school) at the age of 7.

If the parents believe that their child is not yet ready, the child should enter/start school at the age of 7

I think that's how it would be said by a native English speaker? It's a difficult one to translate because the sentence structure is very different in German to English. The 'erst' here is more of an emphasis rather than a literal translation (they should first be 7 to enter school) however that doesn't work as well with the first part of the sentence in English so I changed it to something a bit more natural sounding. Kallisto gives the more literal translation.

Thanks guys!
Original post by Kamara7
Thanks guys!

You are welcome. I have been waiting so long to help someone in my native language, I can't remember when it was the last time.

You you still tearing about me? :redface:
You are welcome. I have been waiting so long to help someone in my native language, I can't remember when it was the last time.

You you still tearing about me? :redface:

Yeah :lol:

Actually I have more questions:
When do you use "je" and "jeweils"?
What's the difference between "ebenso" and "soeben"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending