The Student Room Group

Rothschild Gap Programme 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
trw
OP
has anyone had offers from more than one of this type of placement and having to choose?

or even still considering straight to uni?

tough decisions to make...
Reply 21
trw
OP
Original post by twistedinsanity
Yeah me haha.

I need to choose between uni, KPMG and Roths. It is very tough... I've narrowed it down to KPMG or Roths I think

How about you?

Do you know which one pays the most? ... not the most important thing but if one is significantly more than the other it could be
Reply 22
trw
OP
not a bad position to be in for you twisted...

Im sure you've had advice from different people but I had a friend who did KPMG last year and he said the people there were really welcoming and it wass good fun...
Reply 23
What was the Rothschild and KPMG application process like? Is it as rigorous as the Deloitte one?
Reply 24
Other than than the 6 firms mentioned, does anyone know of any other companies that offer a gap year programme - doesn't have to be finance, but starting in summer 2012?
Reply 25
Original post by RG1994
Other than than the 6 firms mentioned, does anyone know of any other companies that offer a gap year programme - doesn't have to be finance, but starting in summer 2012?

What's the 6th? (Deloitte, BoE, KPMG, Rothschild, IBM)

Original post by Competencies
KPMG is very similar to Deloitte's application process.

For Rothschild:
-A single application form (including a covering letter and CV).
-A single interview.
-You are then either given an offer or rejected.

Though that makes it sound a lot easier you have to bear in my mind that your chance of passing the 'application form' stage is significantly lower with Rothschild than it is with Deloitte/KPMG. I would estimate that Rothschild only interviewed 20 people (for 8 positions).

Thanks for your help :smile: That's pretty good for me actually because I don't like the idea of possible rejections at loads of smaller stages, rather just get it over and done with.
Reply 26
Hey twisted,
Congrats on getting the two offers at Rothschild and KPMG :smile:
I was late on Rothschild so didn't end up applying, but feel a little less guilty as I wanted to work in the IB sector mainly.
I applied to KPMG R&C and got the informal offer email today, so should be working there. What about you? what sector did you apply to and are you still deciding where to join?
Reply 27
KPMG is very similar to Deloitte's application process.

For Rothschild:
-A single application form (including a covering letter and CV).
-A single interview.
-You are then either given an offer or rejected.

Though that makes it sound a lot easier you have to bear in my mind that your chance of passing the 'application form' stage is significantly lower with Rothschild than it is with Deloitte/KPMG. I would estimate that Rothschild only interviewed 20 people (for 8 positions).

The KPMG application process is actually
-application form
-online tests (numerical/verbal)
-first interview
-offer/rejection

Deloitte is more thorough
Reply 28
Original post by shahj
The KPMG application process is actually
-application form
-online tests (numerical/verbal)
-first interview
-offer/rejection

Deloitte is more thorough

Well done on getting an offer! :smile:

Do you mind me asking what your academics are like and what else you had to boost your application? (I'm hoping to apply next year and want an idea of how well qualified successful applicants are) Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 29
Hmm, I applied to R&C and my interviewer was from Audit too. I did tend to specify R&C whilst answering the questions but also pointed out that any work experience would be valuable at this stage.

Hope this isn't too nosey but why did you end up choosing Rothschild? Better job/money/dates?
Do Rothschild still do the IB gap year?
Reply 30
Original post by tateco
Well done on getting an offer! :smile:

Do you mind me asking what your academics are like and what else you had to boost your application? (I'm hoping to apply next year and want an idea of how well qualified successful applicants are) Thank you :biggrin:

Thank you :smile:

As you may already know their minimum requirements are B's in GCSE English and Math. ABB at A levels. If you have these predicted you pretty much stand an equal chance as long as you meet their eight competencies which will be asked about at the interview.
Personally, I got 7A*s 1A and 2Bs IGCSEs (incuding a B in English and A* in Math)
I had 5As and AS and predicted 2A* and 2As in Physics, Maths, Further maths and Chemistry (lol don't think I'm getting that at this very moment -.- )
Know about KPMG and know the market/competitors/recent news.

That should get you through :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by shahj
Thank you :smile:

As you may already know their minimum requirements are B's in GCSE English and Math. ABB at A levels. If you have these predicted you pretty much stand an equal chance as long as you meet their eight competencies which will be asked about at the interview.
Personally, I got 7A*s 1A and 2Bs IGCSEs (incuding a B in English and A* in Math)
I had 5As and AS and predicted 2A* and 2As in Physics, Maths, Further maths and Chemistry (lol don't think I'm getting that at this very moment -.- )
Know about KPMG and know the market/competitors/recent news.

That should get you through :smile:

Ah okay thanks! I got the same as you for GCSE English and Maths and fairly similar GCSEs, predicted straight A's at AS too. I'll just make sure I fully understand what they're looking for through the competencies and hopefully I'll have a shot! :smile:

Good luck with your A2 exams! :tongue:
Reply 32
Can I be infernally ignorant and ask the following question - If I'm going into uni September 2012, is it too late to apply for a gap year with an IB? Because I understand uni apps ask you to state whether you're taking a gap year or not on UCAS.
Reply 33
It's too early haha. You can either take a chance and tell them you want to apply for deferred entry (ie take a gap year) or just apply for normal entry in 2012 and then phone your uni afterwards to defer it after you get your offer (which is what I did).

Which one did you accept in the end?
Reply 34
Rothschild, I start next month. Not sure when exactly though haha

Nice! Good luck :smile:

Just out of interest why did you decide to take Rothschild? I am in the final stage for Deloitte and probably won't apply for any others if I get accepted, the Rothschild scheme didn't seem like it had much substance when I was reading about it? :s-smilie:
Reply 35
Rothschild doesn't negatively impact chances at an alternate career like the scholarship schemes do so I like the flexibility. The others offer guaranteed work experience throughout university which seems good on the surface.

However, they seem to lock you in to do the work experience in the time where you would normally be doing internships elsewhere, and in finance it's very difficult to secure a graduate position at a top firm or bank without an internship in that specific field, and in many places at that very firm. As I have no intention of going into accountancy or consultancy, the other schemes would only have limited my choices in the future.

Of course if you want to work for these firms when you graduate, their scholarship schemes are without a doubt the best thing you can do to boost your chances.

I'm not saying Rothschild offers the best internship, just the one that was best for me. If you want to go into accountancy or consultancy, then I would thoroughly recommend the Deloitte Scholars Scheme as the 'best'. If you want to go into IB, experience at an IB would be far better than at an Auditor.

Plus Rothschild's office is closer to my home so I can knock about 30 mins off the commute each way :biggrin:

I'm not sure what I want to get into but would probably be swaying towards banking rather than accountancy. But what you've said about internships being blocked isn't true. they are very flexible with the placements. I have spoke to several people to confirm this, one of which said he is doing a summer internship at Credit Suisse next year and Deloitte are fine with it. Also because you only have to do 4 weeks a year and even this can be split into 2, 2 week sessions done for example at Christmas or Easter.

Do you think that it would make a difference when applying to investment banks whether or not you have experience at one of the biggest professional services provider or a smaller IB? I just thought that either one of the experiences would give you a massive advantage over other applicants with no experience whatsoever...

Btw I don't mean to sound like I'm arguing with you at all, I'm just interested to hear other view points and reasoning to decide whether I should apply to Rothschild (if I'm successful with Deloitte) :biggrin:
Reply 36
What happens if you want to do a spring week and a summer internship in your first year?

Since when were they both in the same year? And I'm sure you could fit it round it quite easy, like I said they are flexible apparently...
Reply 37
Ah like you say then it's nice to hear different view points. I was told most of this by a teacher at my school with experience in the field. I do stand by my point though that the prime factor in your decision should be based on choosing something as similar as possible to what you want to do when you graduate. Personally, the places I want to get internships at during uni would have clashed and (fingers crossed) would last most, if not all, of the summer. So again, take your personal situation into account. I would not be able to pursue other interests if I had confirmed placements, but others might.

It'll be far easier to break into the prestigious IBD sector from an IB background, even if it is a boutique. Remember, IB is far more elitist than Auditing and I was told that it's easier to transition from IB to other areas of finance rather than the other way around, due to the outdated albeit traditional respect that this area holds in the job market. This is assuming you want to go into IB, otherwise you can ignore the subtle advantages, I'm sure it's otherwise just nitpicking.

I found a great website a while back that showed how to get a place at the top positions and compared all the different hierarchies and levels of elitism but I just can't remember it :/ I've been searching for it again for over a year now haha.

That's interesting, thanks. Maybe I will consider applying, it would be great if you could keep in touch and let me know how the scheme is when you start it :smile:

I still think any experience will definitely be very advantageous when applying to any graduate scheme (everyone I have asked who went on the Deloitte programme has secured internships in their desired fields, including IB), but I suppose it being directly relevant can't hurt...

Thanks for all your help :smile:
Reply 38
There are plenty of opportunities to do summer internships in the first year if outside of BB firms. So I can't see how you would fit in 4 weeks at Deloitte if you wanted to do a spring week and a summer internship in your first year.

It's like twisted said, if you want to go down the accountancy route go with Deloitte, Rothschild would probably be better for the IB route.

Well I haven't got into either yet, I'm just thinking about future options! And I think if it came to it if I had to miss one of the internships then it would have to happen, it wouldn't be the end of the world! (I think being at the point where you are finding it hard to fit all your different work experience around each other isn't exactly a bad situation to be in :tongue:)
Reply 39
Yeah I agree to a certain extent.

But for me personally, I'd hate to miss out on an 8 week summer internship at an investment firm just because I have to do a couple of weeks at Deloitte filling out tax forms.

:rofl: I wouldn't let that happen, I would fit it in around the summer (summer internships are 10 weeks long and uni summers are 12 weeks) so I would do 2 weeks at Deloitte in the summer and then 2 weeks at christmas - no big deal

I don't want to be Accounting for the rest of my life but it definitely isn't just filling out tax forms :wink:

Are you applying for any schemes?

Quick Reply

Latest