The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

English/Philosophy at Dundee anyone?

Hi, I applied to the University of Dundee in October and received two offers yesterday for -

i) English, and
ii) English with Philosophy

I was just wondering if anybody else has received any offers for English or Philosophy yet, or any course in Dundee for that manner (I don't want to discriminate :tongue:)

Anyone who is already studying there have any opinions to share? Are the courses enjoyable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump?
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
Second Bump.

Fail thread is fail :sigh:
Reply 3
Just out of interest, why did you apply for two arts courses when you have to study 3 subjects in your first two years anyway?

I now wish I applied for Computer Science at Dundee :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Delaney
Just out of interest, why did you apply for two arts courses when you have to study 3 subjects in your first two years anyway?

Because I liked Dundee, and in my inexperience with UCAS/Universities assumed that two applications = twice as likely to get in :blushing:
Reply 5
Original post by Liam_G
Because I liked Dundee, and in my inexperience with UCAS/Universities assumed that two applications = twice as likely to get in :blushing:

Haha fair enough, I wish I done the same tbh! :smile:
Reply 6
My friend just got a conditional for English :smile: She only has to get one B this year and she's in! Quite encouraging as last year she got AABC and that's an easy peasy offer.
Reply 7
Original post by Vitamin D
My friend just got a conditional for English :smile: She only has to get one B this year and she's in! Quite encouraging as last year she got AABC and that's an easy peasy offer.

Is she going for second year entry, or do you mean that she got AABC at AS? I see you have applied for Dundee and Stirling, I'm assuming that one of those is the Uni you want to Firm? (judging by the Smilies next to them :biggrin:)... I've applied to Stirling also :yep:

Any news yet? I've seen you lurking around most of the Scottish Uni threads :awesome:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Liam_G
Is she going for second year entry, or do you mean that she got AABC at AS? I see you have applied for Dundee and Stirling, I'm assuming that one of those is the Uni you want to Firm? (judging by the Smilies next to them :biggrin:)... I've applied to Stirling also :yep:

Any news yet? I've seen you lurking around most of the Scottish Uni threads :awesome:

Oh no, AABC in Scottish Highers, just regular first year entry! I think Dundee is going to end up being my firm and Stirling my insurance, I like both of them but Dundee seems to have a better course :smile:

No news recently :frown: just playing the waiting game. Have you got any other offers? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Vitamin D
Oh no, AABC in Scottish Highers, just regular first year entry! I think Dundee is going to end up being my firm and Stirling my insurance, I like both of them but Dundee seems to have a better course :smile:

No news recently :frown: just playing the waiting game. Have you got any other offers? :smile:

Ah, I see... Can't believe I didn't think of Highers :colondollar:

I have my offers from Dundee and an offer from Chester which will probably, maybe, possibly be my insurance...

I'm still waiting for Stirling and York St. John, which was my alternative insurance.

So pleased I got an offer from Dundee though! As you can probably tell by the fact that I applied for two courses - I quite like the sound of the place :yep:

Really hope you hear something positive soon! I know how awful it is to be waiting for news :sadnod:
Reply 10
I just got an offer for English and Philosophy at BCC. Dundee is my bottom choice but it's still nice to know I have the offer to fall back on should this year not go quite as planned.
Reply 11
Original post by aineodm
I just got an offer for English and Philosophy at BCC. Dundee is my bottom choice but it's still nice to know I have the offer to fall back on should this year not go quite as planned.

Thanks for letting me know :biggrin: I may see you there, if all goes well for me... and erm, badly for you :lol:

Good luck :smile:
Reply 12
Haha sorry that sounded really arsey.
If it's any consolation I failed my AS levels the first time around and had to start from scratch again.
Original post by Liam_G
Hi, I applied to the University of Dundee in October and received two offers yesterday for -

i) English, and
ii) English with Philosophy

I was just wondering if anybody else has received any offers for English or Philosophy yet, or any course in Dundee for that manner (I don't want to discriminate :tongue:)

Anyone who is already studying there have any opinions to share? Are the courses enjoyable?

I have an offer for Philosophy, and it is most likely going to be my firm :smile:. But, I don't know of anyone who is doing Philosophy as a single honours like I am. Have you been to the open day? I went and they said when we go we can pick up two extra modules, and I'm thinking of picking up english and politics. But do you know if this is the same as doing a combined honours? or just a random two extra subjects. Sorry this must sound really stupid but i am very confused :P
Reply 14
Original post by senator88
I have an offer for Philosophy, and it is most likely going to be my firm :smile:. But, I don't know of anyone who is doing Philosophy as a single honours like I am. Have you been to the open day? I went and they said when we go we can pick up two extra modules, and I'm thinking of picking up english and politics. But do you know if this is the same as doing a combined honours? or just a random two extra subjects. Sorry this must sound really stupid but i am very confused :P

It's like that in all Scottish universities, instead of studying one course in your first year you get to study three, and then you gradually narrow it down to the things you're most interested in :biggrin:

It's one of the reasons I really want to go to a Scottish Uni, I love the idea of not being restricted to a single subject.

I might see you there in Philosophy if all goes well :smile:
Original post by Liam_G
It's like that in all Scottish universities, instead of studying one course in your first year you get to study three, and then you gradually narrow it down to the things you're most interested in :biggrin:

It's one of the reasons I really want to go to a Scottish Uni, I love the idea of not being restricted to a single subject.

I might see you there in Philosophy if all goes well :smile:

Ahh now I understand, that's awesome, is the degree you end up with at the end of 4 years the same as a BA? :smile: and yes, hopefully! I need BCC to get in which I'm happy with, hope I get it :biggrin:
Reply 16
Ahh now I understand, that's awesome, is the degree you end up with at the end of 4 years the same as a BA? :smile: and yes, hopefully! I need BCC to get in which I'm happy with, hope I get it :biggrin:

Still end up with a BA :yep:

I need BCC as well... Only trouble is Maths :s-smilie: I don't think I'll have any trouble at all getting BC... but I'm really struggling at maths atm. I'd be absolutely gutted if I missed out on Dundee because of it though, so I'm gonna try hard :smile:
Original post by Liam_G
Still end up with a BA :yep:

I need BCC as well... Only trouble is Maths :s-smilie: I don't think I'll have any trouble at all getting BC... but I'm really struggling at maths atm. I'd be absolutely gutted if I missed out on Dundee because of it though, so I'm gonna try hard :smile:

I'm sure you'll get it if you stick in! :smile: Even if it is just scraping a C. Are you applying for accommodation or staying somewhere else?
Reply 18
I'm sure you'll get it if you stick in! :smile: Even if it is just scraping a C. Are you applying for accommodation or staying somewhere else?

Applying for accommodation, I want to take every opportunity I can to make friends... If I do end up at Dundee, I hope I don't get put in halls with mean people :s-smilie:

:lol:
Original post by Liam_G
Applying for accommodation, I want to take every opportunity I can to make friends... If I do end up at Dundee, I hope I don't get put in halls with mean people :s-smilie:

:lol:

Oh good, yeah me too xd and yeah I know what you mean about the mean people, but when I went for the invitation day everyone seemed pretty nice so :smile: Did you go? and which halls are you hoping to stay in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending