The Student Room Group

How much money do you get on the dole ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustLau
You have to attend weekly interviews at the job centre to confirm you're 'actively seeking work' and attend any interviews you're offered, but you can purposefully screw up an interview if you don't want the job (this doesn't mean I condone this!). How do you think employable people spend years on the dole because they can't be bothered to work? In my town, the job centre is pretty much a hangout for 'youths' with nothing better to do than look intimidating.

They are not weekly, they are fortnightly.
Reply 21
Original post by gateshipone
It's very rare that you'll get an interview through the jobcentre itself. You're more likely to be given details of a job that match what you're looking for. If you don't apply for that you have to have a good reason.

DON'T sabotage an interview! You can be sanctioned by the jobcentre if they find out and that won't go down well.

If you get an interview, go to it and try your best. At least then if you pass it and get a job you can do that temporarily until you find something better. At least you'd be getting more than £51.85 a week! There's no rule saying you can't apply for jobs while in a job, in fact it's actually easier to get a job in that situation.

The majority of long term unemployed don't sabotage interviews, they usually don't get them at all. Employers looking at people with massive gaps in their work history is what lets them down in most cases.

I didn't mean job interviews. I meant the 'interview' with the jobcentre to check you're doing what you're meant to be.
I wasn't telling anyone to sabotage an interview, nor would I ever do this myself, even if I were on the dole.
Original post by JustLau
I didn't mean job interviews. I meant the 'interview' with the jobcentre to check you're doing what you're meant to be.
I wasn't telling anyone to sabotage an interview, nor would I ever do this myself, even if I were on the dole.

OK, it's just the way you said about sabotaging them "if you don't want the job" - kinda sounded like you meant job interviews. My mistake.
Original post by alibee
There's a 3 day qualifying period. You should sign on as soon as you leave university though as your claim can still be processed during this time. If you left your last job voluntarily then there is a much longer wait but that doesn't seem to apply here.

So, if the OP had a part-time job whilst studying, but left this voluntarily, they would have to wait six months to claim JSA?

What about being sacked? Do you know if it makes any difference?
Reply 24
Original post by Elissabeth
So, if the OP had a part-time job whilst studying, but left this voluntarily, they would have to wait six months to claim JSA?

What about being sacked? Do you know if it makes any difference?

If you are sacked, you will be entitled to JSA. It is when you are deemed to have "chosen" to be unemployed that you may face sanctions. They often write to a former employer to ask about why you left to confirm the information you give them.

You would be allowed to leave a job, for example, if it was in your uni town and you needed to move back home. If it was more than an hour's travel they would accept this (just as an example)

It doesn't work like that. If you are sanctioned, (leaving your job doesn't mean automatic sanction) it goes from the date of your claim.
Original post by OU Student
It doesn't work like that. If you are sanctioned, (leaving your job doesn't mean automatic sanction) it goes from the date of your claim.

I'm sorry, excuse my ignorance, but I really don't understand?
Original post by alibee
If you are sacked, you will be entitled to JSA. It is when you are deemed to have "chosen" to be unemployed that you may face sanctions. They often write to a former employer to ask about why you left to confirm the information you give them.

You would be allowed to leave a job, for example, if it was in your uni town and you needed to move back home. If it was more than an hour's travel they would accept this (just as an example)

Oh okay.

Supposing someone deliberately got themself sacked?
I'm sorry, excuse my ignorance, but I really don't understand?

If you claim JSA 6 months after leaving your job, there's a chance you may get sanctioned. The 6 months run from the date of your claim.
Reply 29
Oh okay.

Supposing someone deliberately got themself sacked?

Erm as an employer, I've received letters from job centre staff saying I've been listed as someone's last employer and could I confirm why someone left. I guess it really depends on the circumstances.

I can't completely understand why you would do that. If you hate your job, I would suggest applying for other jobs then giving notice once you've found something. You have a much better chance of finding something good while you're in work already.
Reply 30
Original post by bognor-regis
£50 isn't much at all! Why don't you just get your parents to give you money???

Firstly, parents aren't money machines or bank accounts. No adult should rely on parental income to live.

Secondly, most parents don't have money to give, certainly not to the extent to pay bills for a second person.

£50 a week odd for under 25's though, don't be picky with jobs, take what you can get and then worry about getting something in your chosen field.
Reply 31
I just found out that if you go on the dole for 22 years without spending a single penny you would have enough money to put down a mortgage.
Original post by Komatic
I just found out that if you go on the dole for 22 years without spending a single penny you would have enough money to put down a mortgage.

You won't though. There is no way you could manage with no money and after £16k, your income based JSA stops completely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending