The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

What do people think of Nottingham?

Hi, I'm looking at firming Nottingham as my first choice for 2011.. the only thing is I'm not sure what the actual city is like? Safety-wise and things to do? Is the city centre pretty safe (same as other cities)? Also if you don't want to go clubbing are there other good things to do there?

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

It's got the highest rate of gun-crime of any city in the UK, so I hear... but it's confined to certain areas, so I really wouldn't worry - I've accepted it as my first offer :wink:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I've never felt unsafe at all. I don't like clubbing but never seem to be bored...
Reply 3
Ah ok, yeahh I'm not really into clubbing.. just also from a rural area and although I've had city experiences I'm a little worried about how it'll be transition-wise :smile:
Reply 4
I've met a number of students from rural areas who had no problem settling in. Its a lovely green campus you can spend ages walking around , with fun nightlife in the city centre a short bus ride away. so you get the best of both worlds. If you're not in to bars and clubs there are so many societies you can join and find activities to get involved in.
Reply 5
You mean Shottingham.
Nottingham is an amazing city. It is massive so has everything you could want entertainment wise. It is also always ranked in the top 10 for UK student cities for experience. Not many unis have its mix of great city and amazing green campus.

Do not listen to what people say about crime. When was the last time people heard of major crime in Nottingham? All the news stories focus on London, Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham.

Stats a few years ago said Nottingham was bad, but it was cleared up when it was proved that the figures were wrong. The recent Home Office crime maps dont put Nottingham in the top 20 for crimes such as burglary and murder, let alone first.

Just to put your mind to rest, here is a quote from a Guardian article about UK gun crime;

'Nottingham is a city that has struggled with a guns label after a number of killings in 2004...but its police chiefs say public perception is at odds with reality because the city witnesses far fewer incidents per resident than other so-called gun hotspots.

Figures show Nottinghamshire Police recorded one firearms-related death in 2006 and none as of August 2007.

Its overall rate of gun crime is only marginally above the national average - and half the rate of Manchester and London''

See, not that bad. When people say 'Shottingham' they are just havng a laugh. Unfortunately people seem to take it seriously.

Nottingham was the 3rd most applied to university this year for a reason with 50,000 applications (9 apps per place).
Ignore everybody that's saying shottingham or the highest gun crime. It's a nice city with enough to do.
Reply 8
Hi, I'm from Nottingham and I know I'm biased but I think it's a great city. There's loads to do in the city centre: huge cinema, loads of good pubs/restaurants/bars, national watersports centre, great Ice rink, loads of sporting events (Go Panthers whoo!!!!) and I've never had a problem with crime. Like with every city it has it's bad areas and used to have a real gang problem in places like Bestwood which is where the reputation comes from but thats only one part and its pretty much sorted out now. If you like the university and the course don't not come here because of the 'shottingham' reputation, it's way over exaggerated, nottinghams a great city to live and study in.
Reply 9
I was also from a rural area, and I must say it was a bit of a shock to the system moving to Nottingham for 4 years.

Going out into Nottingham city centre, and no matter how many bars and clubs I went in, no-one started on me at all, it was quite shocking compared to a night out in my local town, where I would be warmly eyeballed by a group of local pricks on almost any adventure into the town centre.

I also found it very disturbing that in four years no-one once intimidated me in the street, smashed into my car, or nicked my bike, something that was a traditional rite of the idyllic rural village I grew up in. I have since moved to Cambridge, and am happy to report that the locals here have renewed my faith in the traditional English scumbag.
Reply 10
Original post by Organ
It's in the Midlands dickhead :fyi:

I enjoyed your excellent juxtaposition of the criminally underused word "dickhead" with the friendly little "fyi" icon.
Original post by py0alb
I have since moved to Cambridge, and am happy to report that the locals here have renewed my faith in the traditional English scumbag.

Bike stolen by any chance? Someone tried to steal my friends as he was stood next to it :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Original post by overtherainbow
Bike stolen by any chance? Someone tried to steal my friends as he was stood next to it :rolleyes:

..and car smashed into, and a generally surprising level of chavviness. It never would have happened in Nottingham I tell thee.

(Probably because there is no need to smash into people's cars when the majority of students are too lazy to even bother shutting their doors when they go out)
Reply 13
Original post by py0alb
I enjoyed your excellent juxtaposition of the criminally underused word "dickhead" with the friendly little "fyi" icon.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. I'm also pleased it wasn't blanked out.
Original post by py0alb
..and car smashed into, and a generally surprising level of chavviness. It never would have happened in Nottingham I tell thee.

(Probably because there is no need to smash into people's cars when the majority of students are too lazy to even bother shutting their doors when they go out)

any car in cambridge is so rare it's got to be like a magnet for thieves :tongue: especially in the possession of a student!
Reply 15
Does anyone know what accommodation is like in the second and third years? I've heard loads of crime happens in Lenton, so is it better to look somewhere else for a house? I might even stay on campus if I can.
Reply 16
Original post by chloe07
Does anyone know what accommodation is like in the second and third years? I've heard loads of crime happens in Lenton, so is it better to look somewhere else for a house? I might even stay on campus if I can.

You won't be able to stay on campus I doubt.

Your options are - basically - Beeston or Lenton (Dunkirk is a bit of a dump).

Lenton has 3/4s of the students, and has pubs, takeaways, supermarket specifically catered for the students. There's not really that much crime there, certainly not violent crime, and nothing much to worry about only house burglaries if you are foolish enough to leave your laptop there over christmas etc. Don't let it put you off, just make sure you lock your house properly whenever you go out.

Beeston is the other end of campus, a little quieter and more residential. A lot of staff (in the posh bit) and postgrads (in the not-so-posh bit) live here.
I don't go to uni in Nottingham but I think it's a really nice place with plenty to do. I mostly go there for shopping though :yep:
Reply 18
I'm not from/living in Nottingham, but i found it a looovely city. Its not so big that you feel overwhelmed but big enough for there to be plenty to do & to actually be classified as a 'city'! I felt comfortable & at home walking round, & the place is easy to get around. Personally, I love it & can't wait to go back :biggrin:
Original post by chloe07
I might even stay on campus if I can.

You can stay on campus, it's up to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending