The Student Room Group

How important is uni reputation for Chemical Engineering?

I'm applying for chem eng this year, and my likely firm choice is a good university, not exactly Cambridge/Imperial but still from what I can tell very sound academically.

If I go into chemical engineering as a career, how much of an effect will this have, especially if I want to work abroad somewhere?
Original post by t('.'t)

Original post by t('.'t)
I'm applying for chem eng this year, and my likely firm choice is a good university, not exactly Cambridge/Imperial but still from what I can tell very sound academically.

If I go into chemical engineering as a career, how much of an effect will this have, especially if I want to work abroad somewhere?

As long as it's accredited, I personally see no problem with it (and it would be very helpful if it were an MEng as you would fulfil the academic requirements to be chartered).
Reply 2
Original post by im so academic
As long as it's accredited, I personally see no problem with it (and it would be very helpful if it were an MEng as you would fulfil the academic requirements to be chartered).

Ok, thanks. Yeah, it's all accredited and I'll be doing Meng with year in industry, so that's not a problem.
Original post by t('.'t)

Original post by t('.'t)
Ok, thanks. Yeah, it's all accredited and I'll be doing Meng with year in industry, so that's not a problem.

Then that's perfect, especially since you have a Year in Industry. Out of interest, which course/university are you doing?
Then that's perfect, especially since you have a Year in Industry. Out of interest, which course/university are you doing?

im betting birmingham
Reply 5

Straight chemical engineering, and probably Bath although I haven't definitely decided yet.
Original post by t('.'t)

Original post by t('.'t)
Straight chemical engineering, and probably Bath although I haven't definitely decided yet.

I'd suggest you to do a placement in between your 3rd and 4th year.
Reply 7

Bit of a late reply, but yeah I'm probably going to do that, I'll decide closer to the time though.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing/ applying for/planning on doing?
Original post by t('.'t)

Industrial experience can sway uni reputation greatly.
When I went to work experience at Petrofac the chemical engineers there explained that once you finish your degree they basically retrain you for the job, the degree is merely the basis. So industrial experience is a massive advantage, as you have more of a head start/used to the environment.

Quick Reply