The Student Room Group

Uni Application Enquiry

Basically, how would physics related achievements or readings look on a personal statement for mathematics (i.e. are they equally as commendable as a mathematics related topic in the eyes of the university since physics heavily involves mathematics?).

And also, what about the other way round?

Scroll to see replies

Physics related achievements that demonstrate your maths ability will look great I'd say, as long as it doesn't read like you love physics more than maths it should be fine... Mechanics is a major part of maths and physics and lots of topics in both are related.
Reply 2
Original post by Smelly Ellie
Physics related achievements that demonstrate your maths ability will look great I'd say, as long as it doesn't read like you love physics more than maths it should be fine... Mechanics is a major part of maths and physics and lots of topics in both are related.

yeh mechanics is basically half a physics AS i think, and either way, as physics involves alot of maths, having a love for physics (and being talented at it) shows you must have a good understanding of maths. However if you are applying for maths, then surely you want to be far more interested in maths, and read books about maths, and not physics?
Original post by Lord dudek
yeh mechanics is basically half a physics AS i think, and either way, as physics involves alot of maths, having a love for physics (and being talented at it) shows you must have a good understanding of maths. However if you are applying for maths, then surely you want to be far more interested in maths, and read books about maths, and not physics?

Yeah that's what I meant by make it read like a maths ps not physics :smile:
Reply 4
oh sorry yes i know you meant that :smile: i was hoping reminisce would reply saying why he likes physics so much but wants to do maths :P
Reply 5
I'm just saying that I enjoy both a lot and have done a lot of extra studies on both so i am just wondering if the physics related things will still be useful or vice versa.
I'm sure they will be, just make sure there's more maths than physics :smile: Sorted.
Reply 7
Original post by Reminisce
Basically, how would physics related achievements or readings look on a personal statement for mathematics (i.e. are they equally as commendable as a mathematics related topic in the eyes of the university since physics heavily involves mathematics?).

And also, what about the other way round?

I'd say your personal statement has to demonstrate a committment to mathematics rather than physics except you apply for a joint honours programme like maths and physics/astronomy, etc. You can mention your interest in physics very briefly but I wouldnt write essays about that.
Reply 8
Original post by pappymajek
I'd say your personal statement has to demonstrate a committment to mathematics rather than physics except you apply for a joint honours programme like maths and physics/astronomy, etc. You can mention your interest in physics very briefly but I wouldnt write essays about that.

Thank you for posting and yes I understand but the physic that I am embroiled range from mechanics to relativity which are heavily maths based and some part of maths anyway. If I mentioned some on the PS but biased towards the maths of the said physics topic, then would it show the commitment to maths?
Thank you for posting and yes I understand but the physic that I am embroiled range from mechanics to relativity which are heavily maths based and some part of maths anyway. If I mentioned some on the PS but biased towards the maths of the said physics topic, then would it show the commitment to maths?

I don't think it would harm your application if you just talked a bit about your physics interests. But make sure you let them know you prefer maths.
Reply 10

are you going for maths on its own? Judging by your interest a maths+physics joint degree sounds more appropriate for you.
Reply 11
Original post by anshul95
are you going for maths on its own? Judging by your interest a maths+physics joint degree sounds more appropriate for you.

Yes, I am considering that but one final issue,

I am aware of some universities with the joint degree but Cambridge has only Physical natural science of Mathematics. However, I have found out that you can take mathematics with physics once you are in your first year.

Therefore, surely it would be useful to have physics related things in the PS when applying for just mathematics there (since as I understand it, you need to apply to the mathematics department but you could choose your path once an offer is made).
Reply 12
Yes, I am considering that but one final issue,

I am aware of some universities with the joint degree but Cambridge has only Physical natural science of Mathematics. However, I have found out that you can take mathematics with physics once you are in your first year.

Therefore, surely it would be useful to have physics related things in the PS when applying for just mathematics there (since as I understand it, you need to apply to the mathematics department but you could choose your path once an offer is made).

It would be good to have that in your PS but make sure you're not too physicsy and explain why it has made you want to study MATHS more. Perhaps add some more pure maths interests as well. E.g. mine was a little more of a balance (I applied for straight maths) I talked about my work exp shadowing and completing a project an engineering/physics academic set for me (applied/physics) and for pure I wrote a paragraph on a book I read about real analysis.
Reply 13
Ah yes thanks, that's what I mean. =)

Basically having a balance of the two (more of the maths and link the physics into the maths as well).
Reply 14

Basically having a balance of the two (more of the maths and link the physics into the maths as well).

yes exactly.

If you can use examples in physics to demonstrate your passion for mathematics, that should be ok. Sometimes its so difficult to separate physics from mathematics-its like the chicken and the egg story-which came first (physics or mathematics?). I presume you will be selective about the unis you apply to. I also agree with anshul, you'd benefit greatly from a joint honors programme.

So which of the two do you think gave birth to the other?-In a way, you could say mathematics gave birth to physics but physics also gave birth to a lot of new mathematics too. Perhaps you might get this kind of question at your interview..............

Good luck
Reply 16
If you can use examples in physics to demonstrate your passion for mathematics, that should be ok. Sometimes its so difficult to separate physics from mathematics-its like the chicken and the egg story-which came first (physics or mathematics?). I presume you will be selective about the unis you apply to. I also agree with anshul, you'd benefit greatly from a joint honors programme.

So which of the two do you think gave birth to the other?-In a way, you could say mathematics gave birth to physics but physics also gave birth to a lot of new mathematics too. Perhaps you might get this kind of question at your interview..............

Good luck

you've just talked about something I stuck on in my EPQ :tongue:!

Good luck

IMHO Mathematics gave birth to physics. Science cannot be proved without mathematics. Even though physics births some mathematics, it is the mathematics which makes it possible, and provable. As Michael sing says in his book "Fermat’s last theorem", scientists make hypothesis on trial an error tests, which in an infinite amount of time, could be proved differently. Mathematicians prove something to be absolutely true, which is undeniable in all cases.
Original post by anshul95
you've just talked about something I stuck on in my EPQ :tongue:!

Wow!! what a coincidence, i guess great minds think alike. Whats EPQ?-is this your blog?
Reply 19
Wow!! what a coincidence, i guess great minds think alike. Whats EPQ?-is this your blog?

No my blog is more about problems than history. Visit it and join if you like. EPQ stands for extended project which is free standing qualification where you can write an essay on anything you like. I chose the history and applications of calculus. I am really enjoying it but its the paperwork that can get really annoying.

Quick Reply

Latest