The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Is architecure at Nottingham 'creative'?

Just recieved an AAB offer from notts :biggrin:
and i was just wondering if it is a creative/arty type course, because i feel like i'd be more interested in that kind of style. I'm not saying it should be as creative as say ucl's architecture course, but i feel i'd get bored if it was as technical as bath?

Also, when applying i wasn't asked for a portfolio or any evidence of my work, but they do require i get an A in art - although i've heard some people get in without art a-level?

I'm just really confused and wanted to know what anyone on here that does/did the course thinks? Will I still get to be artistic or not? or is it all just alot of theory, maths, physics stuff?
Original post by seyi_ajewole
and i was just wondering if it is a creative/arty type course, because i feel like i'd be more interested in that kind of style. I'm not saying it should be as creative as say ucl's architecture course, but i feel i'd get bored if it was as technical as bath?

Also, when applying i wasn't asked for a portfolio or any evidence of my work, but they do require i get an A in art - although i've heard some people get in without art a-level?

I'm just really confused and wanted to know what anyone on here that does/did the course thinks? Will I still get to be artistic or not? or is it all just alot of theory, maths, physics stuff?

Ok, I don't study architecture here, but in my first year I had a male friend in halls who did. He always seemed to be doing loads of drawing, and a lot of it non-techincal, and lots of arty stuff - made me wish I had some kind of artistic talent so I could do the course! As far as I know there's hardly any maths/physics (in the first year anyway) - my friend did a couple of maths modules when we were in first year, but that was because his course was maths with engineering rather than straight architecture. Hope this helps!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Its a mix. You can decide to which area you go to. Theres not much technical teaching going on at all, mostly a holistic knowledge of structures and environmental design.

Basically. First year you all do the same, can be how you perceive it, abstract or not. Second year you get a choice on units from more conceptual, to more technical. By third year you get a choice between completely hand drawn, abstract units with UCL tutors, or completely CAD driven, non abstract 3D unit, or a more Pragmatic, thought provoking unit. So basically theres room to develop in the areas that you want to.

There offer is always an A in art or design and require no portfolio, I think this stands each year.

I wouldnt bother looking on the architecture forum on this site as its just full of stuck up pricks.
Reply 3
Original post by seyi_ajewole

Hey I was just wondering, I also applied to nottingham for architecture and still haven't heard anything yet, did you have attend an interview or were you just given an offer straight away?
Reply 4
Original post by lalalalala
Hey I was just wondering, I also applied to nottingham for architecture and still haven't heard anything yet, did you have attend an interview or were you just given an offer straight away?

Applied in november, got my offer like 2 weeks later, no interview or portfolio or anything like that. Think it's more based on personal statement, reference and predicted grades to be honest, but i'm not too sure. Good luck anyway :smile:
Reply 5
I've just been asked to send a portfolio so fingers crossed
Reply 6
I have also applied for Nottingham and I went to there open day, the work that was displayed was varied and looked really creative! I haven't heard back from though yet, so good luck : )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending