Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How has your music taste developed?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by besarlalluvia)
    Ooh cool thread.
    <12 years old: I listened to R&B/Pop.
    At 12 years old I found My Chemical Romance..yeah, I went through my emo phase. I listened to Bullet For My Valentine, Fall Out Boy, Panic! At the Disco, Paramore etc. (typical bands emos listen to)
    At ~13 years, I found Slipknot. I listened to mainstream metal(core) like SOAD, Linkin Park - Bring Me the Horizon etc. I was also into Dance House.
    ~14 years I listened to many forms of metal, but my favourite was Doom/Goth metal - bands like Sins for thy Beloved, Tristania, Theare of Tradegy. I also like Industrial bands like Deathstars, Combichrist, Celldweller. My favourite radio station was Magic. I was also learning Arabic, so I listened to lots of Arabic music like Nourhanne, Mohammed Mounir, Amr Diab, Miami, Arwa.
    ~15 years, I found K-pop. My favourite groups are SS501, Super Junior, U-KISS, MBLAQ, etc.
    ~16 years, I listen to an accumulation of everything I used to listen to plus K-pop and now some C-pop. I watch Jools Holland's show too, so I find some artists there.

I tend to just listen to what sounds good to me. When I was younger, I used to have this idea that I should listen only to what fits the genre. :rolleyes:
    You went from metal to k-pop? :confused:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh God. Lemme think..

5-8 years: My sisters blue/spice girls/Now that's what I call music/ Bewitched cds, you know, typical late 90s to early 2000s. :teehee: Oh, and I always remember playing with my toys along with Tina Turna.

8-12: Started listening to the T-Rex/ Bob Dylan/ David Bowie/ Johnny Cash/ Bryan Adams/ U2/ Journey/Travis Cds that were hanging around the house and in the car. Along with some Enrique Eglasias, Sugar Babes, etc. And er..Avril Lavigne :rolleyes:

12-14: Mainly charts stuff, along with some of the bands mentioned above

15-16: A short love affair with indie and some emo.

17: Still rocking some of the above. I was a late bloomer with The Killers, Placebo and Muse which is absolutely gutting. I now also love Kate Bush, Depeche Mode, MGMT, The Cure, Bright Eyes, Sonic Youth, Taylor Swift :ninja: Bruce Springsteen, Patrick Wolf, Sigur Ros, Pixies, Lou Reed, Broken Social Scene.

And Shakira has been a constant throughout my life.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to listen to R'N'B. Moved onto Classical music. Now I litsten to hard Japaense rock techno. Says it all...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It goes:
    5-8= classical/baroque
    8-13= classic rock (the Beatles, ELO, Buffalo Springfield- good to make the transition with!). I was really into the 60s, they were one of my Aspie obsessions.
    13-now= still lots of classic rock, but some teenagery bands like Nirvana and lots of heavy metal (proper stuff though)
    Now= solely good old classics. Some classical. And I love Kate Bush.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've always liked dance, pop and rap/hip-hop music. BTW, it has to be said that Britney Spears is my god. I mean it, my walls are plastered with her posters and I have everything she has ever released. I love her, love her music, he style, her persona. She is my everything.

There was a time when I pretended to like 'goth' music so that I would get invited places lmao.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I was a little nipper, I remember listening to Five (that dreadful boyband). I watched Firestarter by The Prodigy too and although they were quite scary at the time I really liked them. I also liked a few 80s songs my dad had on this compilation CD he had when I went to his.

As I got a bit older (Young teen) I liked Green Day, Blink 182 and all those pop punky things, all of these introduced to me by my brother. Also add to that Nirvana. (Also my sister used to play loads of trance and other general club music which I never admitted I liked but I did )

When I was 13-15 I guess I was a little pissed at life (and my stepdad) so I started getting into Metal, most genre's and also Drum & Bass

By 16 my stepdad had finally left the house and I've now started getting into a ton of new music. My music now consists of most genre's (and is also generally happier)

Last.fm in sig because I cba going through all I listen to.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Until about 12 - typical kid pop: S Club, Steps, 5ive, Boyzone, Westlife

12-14 - I started getting into bands like Greenday, the Chilli Peppers, Blink182, Sum41 and Muse (still love most of them)

15-16 - My Indie phase, but I also listened to a lot of older rock e.g. The Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Pink Floyd.

17 - 'Discovered' Metal, classic metal e.g. Metallica, MegaDeth, Sabbath, Motörhead, Dio. Started listening to prog metal e.g. Dream Theater. Still listened to a lot of progressive rock e.g. Rush, King Crimson

18-now - Went to Uni, started listening to Ambient music, Post-Rock, Death Metal, Black Metal, sludge metal, metalcore (BTBAM are really the only metalcore band I like, but anyway..)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's changed a lot from when I was a kid! It used to be S Club/Britney/Spice Girls when I was 8 or whatever age, I can't remember. And the usual Backstreet Boys, Five, Vengaboys stuff that everyone in my class liked and sang every day.

I had a phase of Eminem when I was feeling p***ed off at the world, that must have been about age 14...

I still do like some Evanescence songs. When I worked in a shop a few years ago, I basically liked whatever was in the charts for that months lol It was blaring out 5 times a day for the same song so they used to get stuck in my head!

Then I started liking Broadway/musical songs like Les Mis/Chicago/Cats. Still do, those and classical types like Katherine Jenkins/Hayley Westenra/Natasha Marsh. Of course, a bit of comedy singing like Stephen Lynch and Avenue Q is always good as well!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    at 13-14; Indie stuff like Rumble Strips, Pigeon Detectives , and then bands like Devildriver, Deicide, Cannibal corpse, as well as some Nirvana

14-15; DnB and Dubstep, after getting bored of indie - stuff like Adam F, Logistics, Nu:tone

15-16; Started listening to all the previous music, and getting into more metal like All Shall Perish, Through the Eyes of the Dead

16-17; Got bored of everything apart from Metal, and now listen to Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, Helloween, Megadeth, Sylosis, Lamb of God, Pantera, Annihilator, Killswitch engage, Iron Maiden, Motorhead....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Usual kiddy bandsartists when I was little S club 7 ftw
    I remember I liked busted, and then it was embarrassing to like them so I stopped listening to them...and now they're on my ipod
    I'm a couple of years behind everyone music taste I think - we didn't get freeview until I was 15, and internet last year (when I was 17) so I hadn't been able to discover as much new music and grow out of them as much as everyone else. The music I listened to was a lot more constant - I didn't have any music channels or charts and ofc no internet so I only really found new stuff via my friends or kerrang magazine...or sometimes pot luck (I discovered panic! when I was ill and mum put the radio on for me - I write sins was paying and I've been hooked ever since )

Although I do notice a change in my music tastes - the emoish stuff gets listened to a lot less. I'll think: "yeah, this is a good song, but I'm not in the mood to listen right now, so I'll end up skipping fair amount of fall out boy/evanescence/linkin park/MCR/youmeatsix/boyslikegirls(don't even know why I have B;G still on my ipod, I listen to a song of theirs like once every 2 months ahahah) and instead I'll listen to some enter shikari or weezer, or stuff I've recently downloaded or bought but then this could be because it's new and more novel - I've been listening to my old stuff for a LONG TIME and had a rather limited playlist so perhaps my ears just want a change?
    Since my second year of college I also listen to a lot of smaller, unsigned bands and am all the better for it
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    12-14 - Lots of R'N'B and Grime (Jay Z, Juelz Santana, Lethal B, Kano, 50 Cent, Kanye West andUK underground artists)

15-16 - Club Anthems, Death Metal, Deathcore (The Devil Wears Prada, Dance Gavin Dance, Chiodos, August Burns Red, Haste The Day, Attack! Attack!, My Chemical Romance)

17- present day - Indie Rock, Alternative (Bloc Party, Radiohead, Coldplay, The Killers)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmon93)
    You went from metal to k-pop? :confused:
    LOL. Yes. :ahee:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    when I was really young I used to love tchaikovsky.

6-9 i loved stevie wonder, the beatles. Thats all I listened too haha!

10-15 fell into the trap of greenday/blink 182 and all that sort of stuff. not great. although guns n roses/nirvana did make appearances so it wasnt all bad.

by the time I hit 16 i began to listen to rammstein, as well as a few more avant garde bands like the human league, and this kickstarted an obsession with 80s synthpop. By this point I was also delving into reggae, jazz amongst other things.

Approaching 18 and my music taste is hugely diverse. Kate Bush and the Smiths have a huge place in my heart right now
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interesting thread...

2-7 roughly: What my parents listened to - Queen, Abba, Jean Michel Jarre, The Carpenters, Mammas and Papas, Robson and Jerome, David Bowie. Still listen to most of that..

7-11: Spice Girls, S Club 7, Boyzone, Westlife, Steps, Britney Spears... I do remember buying a compilation CD purely because it had "Lolly - Viva La Radio" on it...!

11-13: Everything on the top 40. That and I had a friend who was very into Nirvana, we used to sit in her room playing with Fashion Polly listening to the likes of Nirvana and Guns'n'Roses!! She also introduced me to Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Sum 41 - at the time it was what everyone was listening to and it seemed the cool thing to do.

13-18: Went through a sad phase of dance and squeaky music (think DJ Rankin and Clubland)... tainted with a love of My Chemical Romance and Evanescence... that and music like Taking Back Sunday, The Academy Is, Hello Goodbye... Was more to fit in with everyone else than anything! Fell for Oasis and Blur too. Stuff like The Killers, Coldplay too...

18 +: Most 60s/70s/80s music (especially synth pop at the minute), Palmoa Faith, Ellie Goulding, Mark Ronson, Adele, Radiohead, U2... Discovered The Smiths in my first year of Uni too
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    0-11 Spice Girls, Westlife, general cheesy pop, bitta R&B (Ashanti :ahee:)
    11-12 Rap. All I listened to was 2Pac, Eminem and 50 Cent. And I was obsessed with N*E*R*D. Oh god.
    12-13 The emo phase. Thankfully My Chemical Romance brought out the Black Parade and I realised that I didn't like it anymore
    13-15 Discos were the highlight of my life so I listened to cheesy dance- Cascada, DJ Boonie, anything with the chipmunk voice
    15 The Kooks, Pigeon Detectives, Kings of Leon, Oasis, Arctic Monkeys. What I thought was indie basically.
    16-now My last.fm tells me it's alternative and electronic, but there's loads of random stuff that doesn't fall into that category. The range of artists that I listen to now is huge compared to what it used to be
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Little Kid-Whatever my mum put on,usually guns n roses or Fleetwood Mac.Bit of ABBA or T-Rex occasionally too.

When I was in primary school,all the other girls liked Britney spears etc..so I tried to and danced along to a few songs by her,but not really into it.

early high school(11-14) I was into heavy metal and finnish black metal etc...industrial german you name it.

senior high school(5th-6th year current) I still like rock/metal but eased off a bit and opened up to other music,so now indie/rock and a few pendelum thrown in.

Never really liked rap that much tbh.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rational Paradox)
    at 13-14; Indie stuff like Rumble Strips, Pigeon Detectives , and then bands like Devildriver, Deicide, Cannibal corpse, as well as some Nirvana

14-15; DnB and Dubstep, after getting bored of indie - stuff like Adam F, Logistics, Nu:tone

15-16; Started listening to all the previous music, and getting into more metal like All Shall Perish, Through the Eyes of the Dead

16-17; Got bored of everything apart from Metal, and now listen to Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, Helloween, Megadeth, Sylosis, Lamb of God, Pantera, Annihilator, Killswitch engage, Iron Maiden, Motorhead....
    props for your good taste Not heard of Helloween before,will check them out if ya dont mind.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to care what people thought of my music taste.

Now I don't. That's the big difference.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Been through so many musical evolutions I can't even trace it properly. My taste has been all over the place, to point where I would probably say there are now very genres I haven't tried listening to (although I still come across new "sub-genres" of music fairly frequently).

Age 8-10: general chart/pop music, britpop -> Destiny's Child, Oasis
    Age 11-12: nu-metal, pop punk etc. -> Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Sum 41, Blink 182, Alkaline Trio
    Age 13-14: "indie", non-contemporary music -> The Strokes, The Libertines, Razor****e, The Kooks, The Beatles, Joy Division
    Age 15-17: started actually looking for music more away from the mainstream. Got into the likes of Pavement, Dinosaur Jr., My Bloody Valentine, Animal Collective etc. in a big way as well as hardcore bands like Minor Threat and Bad Brains.
    Age 18-20: by this point I'd expanded my listening to loads of different genres: post-rock (e.g. Mogwai), 90's screamo/emo (e.g. Saetia, Orchid), electronic (e.g. Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada), psychedelic rock (e.g. Bardo Pond), drone (e.g. Earth), math rock (e.g. Hella), jazz (e.g. Miles Davis), grindcore (e.g. Nasum), dubstep (e.g. Burial), world music (e.g. anything produced by the Sublime Frequencies label), noise (e.g. Masonna, Merzbow), motown (e.g. Supremes) and loads of other stuff.
    Age 20-current: more recently I've just continued along the same path, I doubt my current music taste will shift dramatically again, I just appear to be accumulating more music and a wider scope of music that I listen to. Found myself spending more time listening to tropicalia (Gilberto Gil, Os Mutantes, Tom Ze) and chillwave (Washed Out, Neon Indian) recently.

For more details: Click here.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Under 10 - motown, 60s pop, Tina Turner, folk (Steeleye Span), Pink Floyd, Spice Girls and East 17 (trying to 'fit in').

Tina Turner - 1984

The Turtles - Happy Together

Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond

11-13 - Bruce Springsteen, Neil Diamond, more 60s pop (less "Summer in the City" and more "Good Morning Vietnam"), some chart stuff (Robbie Williams, Britney Spears, Nickleback, etc).

Bruce Springsteen - The River

Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit

Neil Diamond - I am . . I said

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Walk on the Water

14-15 - Got back into Pink Floyd and started listening to Muse. Was ridiculed by my peers because Pink Floyd is apparently "saddo music". Also told by my favourite teacher that I was a freak for liking Neil Diamond. Also loved some of the more popular 'dance' tracks, like stuff by Scooter and Darrude.

Pink Floyd - Sorrow

Muse - Time Is Running Out

Darrude - Sandstorm

15-17 - First major boyfriend introduced me to Drum n Bass and house/hardhouse. I liked some of it but had to pretend I liked the genres more than I did. Came away with a love for Pendulum. Was forbidden from listening to Muse - I think he even confiscated my CDs. Started a slightly 'underground' liking of The Darkness and The Rasmus, partly as a rebellion against my boyfriend.

Pendulum - Another Planet

The Rasmus - In The Shadows

18-19 - Got ditched by the boyfriend just before I turned 18. Rebelled with lots of Muse. Started listening to prog and 'indie' - Pure Reason Revolution, Mew, The Killers, Kaiser Chiefs. Was totally in love with one of my best friends who encouraged my prog habit. Discovered Fairport Convention, Morgan and the Hidden Hands (now The Romanovs) and The Scissor Sisters.

Pure Reason Revolution - The Twyncyn / Trembling Willows

Mew - 156

The Romanovs - The King

Fairport Convention - Crazy Man Michael

19 - Lots of Pink Floyd, some Muse, introduced to Faith No More by current boyfriend and tried to like them.

Muse - Map of the Problematique

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

20 - Ended my second major relationship and hooked up with my prog loving best friend. Muse was my "favourite band", as much as it makes sense to talk of my relationship to music in that way. Rediscovered Pendulum and discovered The Cranberries and The Dandy Warhols.

Muse - Cave

Pendulum - Slam

The Dandy Warhols - Heavenly

The Cranberries - Zombie

21 - Nine Inch Nails. Massive, on-going love affair with Trent Reznor. Taste starts getting heavier.

NIN - We're In This Together

Tool - Vicarious

22 - Getting into metal. Exploring industrial. Still in love with Muse, Pendulum, Pink Floyd, Mew, Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, etc. Only thing I've really grown out of is the 'chart-ier' end of things, although I will always love Scissor Sisters.

Decoded Feedback - Phoenix

Ayreon - One Small Step

Nightwish - Last of the Wilds

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 8, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.