Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do so many people have Ipods?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_was_taken)
    I can't seem to find a reason apart from excellent marketing and therefore influence/persuasion to the consumer or maybe conformity or some mistaken belief they are somehow better and not just a rip off? Why else?

Thanks for any information.
    Cus they're awesome? very well built, reliable, great looking etc. thats why Apple in general have such a great reputation
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I still use an mp3 player, I feel so ancient/retro xD
    I get confused with the scrolling on an iPod, and EVERYONE has one.
    Although I might one day get a Shuffle, easier to clip on at the gym :P
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_was_taken)
    I can't seem to find a reason apart from excellent marketing and therefore influence/persuasion to the consumer or maybe conformity or some mistaken belief they are somehow better and not just a rip off? Why else?

Thanks for any information.
    I just find it convenient. I'm on my second ipod ever, and I have a selection of over 2500 songs *shrug*. Yes you can argue that there are other mp3 players out there now they do the same thing, but I just like the iPod.

I'm not an Apple fan though. I hate Apple. The only thing I like from them is the iPod.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    theyre amazing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i had two creatives trying to break the Ipod mould. They were **** so I got a touch instead...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    Because they are sheep with more money than sense. Otherwise they'd buy a Cowon or iRiver.
    Had the iriver H10, didn't really get used to it so just went back to ipods. It was a decent machine but too bulky.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd have no idea how to use another mp3 player, I have the internet and apps on it, I like the interface and stuff. Also I get a discount on them :ninja:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I bought my third generation nano nearly 3 years ago. Whilst it is out of date, it still works perfectly, and I have never had any problems with it. So even if Apple were a completely obscure company, I would certainly buy from them again.

However, I do agree with the Apple hype mostly being nonsense. I can't see the point of an iPod touch. It probably works out cheaper to have an iPhone than to buy a touch and have a separate phone on contract.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Still have my old one from 2005 or something with the separate menu/play buttons that light up orange.

I could never own an ipod touch or an iphone or anything that boasts internet connections and all singing all dancing applications whilst on the move as its such an offensive use of time to me i cant help but see people who are glued to technology as complete dullards who lack the mental capacity to think about more than whats for dinner.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    iPod touch can play games go on the Internet and store photos is thin and looks cool
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well the ipod touch is kinda the best portable media player out there.... there isn't really much to complete against it, and imo they are amazing, I'd be lost without my iPhone. But no, not over much special about all the other versions. Apart from the fact they look sexy
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    How generous of you
    No problem.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Apps, Music, Internet via wifi. If you travel for long periods of time or are constantly on the move you'd love a ipod touch it keeps you entertained and busy. Price point is quite high, but i bought mine 2nd hand so i dont really care.

I use mine mainly on the bus and when im bore in Uni, usaully reading the Metro via its app, just download it every morning and read on the bus whilst listening to music, or playing games via apps or watching movies.

Its basically everything people saw in a Iphone but without the phone or message capabilities, thats the major appeal. By no means am i a fanboy of Apple, i own only PC's a Android phone and my 1 apple product is the Touch which ive had for 6 months.

If you want a music player only theirs better alternatives, but combination of millions of apps, music, videos, internet is the main selling point.
    • 81 followers

ReputationRep:
    They seem to be a fashion statement, because all the sony MP3 players have better sound
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I bought mine years ago when they were by far the best on the market. The only other devices around were 2GB things which wouldn''t store all of my music or play videos.

Nowadays, I just use my phone with a large SD card and wouldn't dream of buying an iPod.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're popular?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    They seem to be a fashion statement, because all the sony MP3 players have better sound
    Well, the average consumer probably doesn't have headphones capable of exposing the difference in MP3 players, nor will they know the difference between a 192kbps song or a 320kbps song. iPods, especially the iPhone/iPod touch are sold as a package, you have millions of games/apps and wi-fi right on an extremely lightweight device with a beautiful interface.

Nowadays they are like a fashion item, or something that 'all the kids want' so of course they're going to sell like hotcakes! That's all down to apples brilliant marketing team!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Want the app store without forking out £500-£600 for iphone.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got my I-pod in 2006 as a b-day present, at the time my phone couldn't hold that much music.
    I use it nowadays just because really, I suppose I could put it all on my phone, but I wouldn't have much space left for apps/photos and stuff.
    I would never buy a new I-pod, I don't see the point in them nowadays.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Sony does have better sound. I replaced my Sony mp3 with an ipod touch from ebay because I was fed up with rubbish software and my Sony not synching properly. Plus I love being able to play games, send emails when I'm at uni all day and looking stuff up online in the library without having to find a computer.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 5, 2011
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sound and vision threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.