The Student Room Group

wheat bags vs hot water bottle

Are wheat bags any good? Are they effective at retaining heat? I'm considering buying one because they are easier to use and I don't risk burning myself but don't know if they are any good.
Can anyone recommend one?
I personaly find that they dont stay hot for as long. The 2 main benefits are flexibility, so you can wrap it around something (like your shoulders) and as you mentioned your less likely to burn yourself with boiling water.
Reply 2
I just bought one and I've been using it for about a week. I agree with the post above- I've also found that they're more flexible than a hot water bottle and mine's been good for my muscle problems but it doesn't retain heat for that long.
The one I have is shaped specifically for my neck and shoulders and I got it from Amazon.
Reply 3
They don't go nearly as hot as hot water bottles, also, I find a lot of them smell quite bad.
Reply 4
Original post by hannah_dru
I just bought one and I've been using it for about a week. I agree with the post above- I've also found that they're more flexible than a hot water bottle and mine's been good for my muscle problems but it doesn't retain heat for that long.
The one I have is shaped specifically for my neck and shoulders and I got it from Amazon.

Thanks for the reply. I had a look on Amazon for prices and found one for £6. Is that about right?
Reply 5
Original post by sunfowers01
Thanks for the reply. I had a look on Amazon for prices and found one for £6. Is that about right?

The ones I'd looked at were about £7 upwards. The one I've got was £9 but worth it.
Reply 6
They're not as warm, and they get cool a lot faster. They smell... wheaty I guess, though lavender ones are lovely. I actually like the smell of the wheat bag things anyway, and they're extremely easy to use.

Only problem is... they seam to sweat a bit which isn't all to nice.
Reply 7
I have Microclanger, George (monkey) and Giles (sheep). I also had Mr Bee but he died :cry: due to a fire in his bottom. They're great, but I still have a ht water bottle as well. Although I would question the need to pay that much - my shaped ones were mostly cheaper and usually if you're just getting a straight one they're about £3. You can even make your own.
Reply 8
It isn't really an either/or thing here. Here both fit different purposes, not just one purpose in multiple ways.

Have somewhere aching that a bottle can't manage? Bag.
Have a belly ache? Hot water bottle.
to get bean bags really hot I found myself putting them in the microwave for 3 minutes at a time, so obviously they began to smell of burnt beans... not nice! but now I have a hot water bottle and sometimes when i wake up in the morning its still lukewarm - which is lovely.I got mine from home bargins for about £3 and it has a little grey aran hot water bottle jumper :smile:
Reply 10
My wheat bag smelt (and felt) like my cat
Kinda off-putting
Hi,

I am a third year undergraduate currently writing a dissertation on the fire risks associated with microwaveable wheat bags, which have caused at least five fatalities and numerous house-fires to date.

I would urge any one who uses one of these, or is considering buying one, to watch the short video made by Surrey and Sussex fire services on the BBC News website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12514613

Paul
Reply 12
Original post by Bramblegate
Hi,

I am a third year undergraduate currently writing a dissertation on the fire risks associated with microwaveable wheat bags, which have caused at least five fatalities and numerous house-fires to date.

I would urge any one who uses one of these, or is considering buying one, to watch the short video made by Surrey and Sussex fire services on the BBC News website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12514613

Paul

ok. so don't over-microwave them then. there are risks associated with hot water bottles too.
I find the smell and sweat aspect of the wheat bags makes them a no-no in my case! I much prefer hot water bottles...
Original post by jimbo139
ok. so don't over-microwave them then. there are risks associated with hot water bottles too.

But the video shows a firefighter handling the wheat-bag with his bare hands, showing no signs of discomfort, nor any other warnings, prior to it setting fire to the bed.

Whilst the British Standard requires the wheat-bag itself to be clearly and permanently labelled with the heating instructions, many are not, with the heating times only shown on the (disposable) packaging.

Agreed, there are some risks associated with hot water bottles, such as scalding and, generally, superficial burns, but these rarely prove fatal and, I would suggest, are minor in comparison with a fire which may spread throughout the building, risking the lives of other occupants.

Quick Reply

Latest