Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Football forum changes. Add your suggestions.

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skaiyote)
    Get more girls to post :awesome:
    I did not know you were a fob :sexface:

More girls would be nice tbf, I posted a pic of Phil Neville to get their attention but noone was tempted :sigh:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    I did not know you were a fob :sexface:

More girls would be nice tbf, I posted a pic of Phil Neville to get their attention but noone was tempted :sigh:
    I am :hubba:

Phil Neville :drool: should have gone with Rooney tbh
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skaiyote)
    I am :hubba:

Phil Neville :drool: should have gone with Rooney tbh
    :hat2:

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    :hat2:

:woo:
    I'm almost tempted to turn United
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    I'm a bit resistant to a general thread to discuss numerous matches. The Utd game next week is a 3pm along with 4 other matches, I certainly wouldn't want to discuss it along with people talking about the other matches. Fans of Villa/Newcastle probably wouldn't want to discuss their match in a thread dominated almost exclusively by Utd posts, and understandably so. If we don't provide a match thread we should let posters post in their societies.

Next week the 3pm games are:

-Villa v Blackburn
    -Everton v Sunderland
    -Newcastle v Bolton
    -Wigan v Man Utd
    -Wolves v Blackpool

Sunday games:

-West Ham v Liverpool
    Man City v Fulham

Monday:

-Stoke v West Brom

From that list I think the Utd and Pool games should get individual threads. Villa and Newcastle discussion in their threads. Everton and Blackpool games won't get much/any talk, then the Monday night (I assume on TV) game could be discussed in the main thread. Feel free to disagree, select your own...
    :mob::stomp::mad2:

...wait does Everton have a society on here. Looks like I have an idea :gah:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any ideas as to making the place a bit more accessible to people who don't support the big teams? N1R4V is one of the only neutrals (Bolton fan) I can think of who uses this forum regularly, it's refreshing to have a more balanced view every now and then. Oh and Colonel Pat, but he has an Arsenal bias. I don't know if it's possible without more team socs though, most of which would be inactive. A "Premier League Discussion" thread would be unnecessary I suppose.

And shall we find out how VBookie works to see if we want to revive that? Someone could quote Ronaldo or Daliymr (or someone else) who seemed to be active when the thing was actually going.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree, and when I first came here I only really used the European football thread . I see some supporters of teams like Wolves and West Brom who show up only when a bigger team play them, I guess the U.F.T could be renamed to something more general like Premier League Discussion thread.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any ideas as to making the place a bit more accessible to people who don't support the big teams? N1R4V is one of the only neutrals (Bolton fan) I can think of who uses this forum regularly, it's refreshing to have a more balanced view every now and then. Oh and Colonel Pat, but he has an Arsenal bias. I don't know if it's possible without more team socs though, most of which would be inactive. A "Premier League Discussion" thread would be unnecessary I suppose.

And shall we find out how VBookie works to see if we want to revive that? Someone could quote Ronaldo or Daliymr (or someone else) who seemed to be active when the thing was actually going.
    Pat's a Celtic fan and that thread is fairly active, anyway, but I can see where you're coming from if you're referring to his Fulham support and I see the point you're making overall. This was a large part of the reason I was interested in doing the match discussion thing the way I proposed - it'd mean the main thread doesn't get clogged with supporters of the big teams and allows a place for all other prem team supporters to discuss their games, which, hopefully, would get more supporters of teams which aren't represented very well into the forum. However, we do need a way to keep them after match day, so you raise a good point. Given we already have the UFT, I think a separate Prem discussion thread would be somewhat pointless, when really the activity of both could be combined into one. I quite like N1r4v's suggestion of renaming the UFT - any of the non-prem stuff that already goes in there at the moment must have an alternative thread to be put in, whether it be the football league or euro thread etc. How do others feel about that?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Forgot about Celtic, they don't really count

Just skimmed the last 5 or so pages and there isn't a lot that would have to be moved anyway, and as you say there's another place for it if it does, could be worth a try :yy:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Forgot about Celtic, they don't really count

Just skimmed the last 5 or so pages and there isn't a lot that would have to be moved anyway, and as you say there's another place for it if it does, could be worth a try :yy:
    I haven't read the posts made, but what they did on 606 (before they shut it down two weeks ago) was the Matchday discussion thread. I liked that. So have a separate thread for Saturday, Sunday and Monday (if a Prem game is on). Would work better than 606 as that contains a lot more WUMs.

Individual match threads wouldn't work as well i don't think, the match day threads would incorporate the big games anyway and it'd just be a chance for any game that day to be mentioned.

Another (silly) idea is some kind of Match of the Day thread. Not many people will stream illegally and so the societies aren't that busy around match times and most people comment after seeing the highlights. Might die down a bit on Sunday, though. Obviously there'd probably not be much point if there is also a match day thread for that day really. But for example I didn't see the Rooney incident until MOTD, like most people.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just a little update, it looks like there will be a match thread sub forum, gonna try and get it put in place as soon as. :yy:

Btw, is anyone still interested in the blogging idea. If so, we might as well push on with that, too. Wrt the format of it, has anyone got any further ideas? I quite like the idea of having a thread purely for blog posts, then those who make blog posts which can be discussed can make their own thread, post the blog in the OP of the thread (as well as in the blogging thread) and link the thread in the post they make in the blogging thread. That allows one thread for just reading blogs without the interruption of comments and other thread to discuss the issues brought up in the blogs, if that makes sense? :holmes:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_wizard123)
    Another (silly) idea is some kind of Match of the Day thread. Not many people will stream illegally and so the societies aren't that busy around match times and most people comment after seeing the highlights. Might die down a bit on Sunday, though. Obviously there'd probably not be much point if there is also a match day thread for that day really. But for example I didn't see the Rooney incident until MOTD, like most people.
    I was going to suggest this (or maybe did already?) but you just know with the userbase of this forum that every week you'll get a collection of morons spoiling the thread each time, rendering it useless :facepalm2:

(Original post by JK.)
    Just a little update, it looks like there will be a match thread sub forum, gonna try and get it put in place as soon as. :yy:

Btw, is anyone still interested in the blogging idea. If so, we might as well push on with that, too. Wrt the format of it, has anyone got any further ideas? I quite like the idea of having a thread purely for blog posts, then those who make blog posts which can be discussed can make their own thread, post the blog in the OP of the thread (as well as in the blogging thread) and link the thread in the post they make in the blogging thread. That allows one thread for just reading blogs without the interruption of comments and other thread to discuss the issues brought up in the blogs, if that makes sense? :holmes:
    Sounds good. Hopefully the subforum takes off but if not it can always be incorporated into the main forum. Not as if we have nearly enough new threads tbf, just the same old at the top.

Blog thread is still a good idea, hopefully someone leads the charge and bravely submits the first entry
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    So basically an overally blogging thread that links to any blogs created.
    These blogs are then on a seperate thread where that actual blog will be discussed?

The source blog thread should be fairly detailed in showing that it is not about how long your piece is or any other sort of crap. It is about your opinion, be it one sentence or 10,000 words. And it is about anything linked to sports. A rant about one players performance, and in depth discussion of tactics. Which stadiums you like/dislike, why?

And other such things.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    So basically an overally blogging thread that links to any blogs created.
    These blogs are then on a seperate thread where that actual blog will be discussed?

The source blog thread should be fairly detailed in showing that it is not about how long your piece is or any other sort of crap. It is about your opinion, be it one sentence or 10,000 words. And it is about anything linked to sports. A rant about one players performance, and in depth discussion of tactics. Which stadiums you like/dislike, why?

And other such things.
    Yep. :yy:

Totally agree, it was you're idea and you say it best so if you wanna go ahead and make the thread yourself, I'm sure we'd all be very grateful. :adore:

I came across a similar sort of idea elsewhere earlier this morning which might interest you. Jonathan Wilson (journo/inverting the pyramid/behind the curtain/genius that knows everything football) has set up The Blizzard which is going to be a sort of quarterly magazine/book for journalists and football writers to write pieces about anything and everything they wish to. The first copy is available to download as a PDF. You have to pay, but you can pay as much or as little as you like, having had a quick look at the first one it looks fantastic, I'm sure you'll recognise some of, if not most of the writers and the pieces range from looking very interesting to pretty funny. Once it's written print it obviously won't be that similar, but I like the concept of allowing some of these great football writers to just give us whatever they want and if we could do a similar thing (though I doubt we'll be able to get an interview with Hiddink or Bergkamp :sigh:) and get people posting about the pieces, it'd be pretty good.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Torn between whether to blog about the failings of Glen Johnson or Stanley Petrov :teeth:

Or maybe just an overall fail blog :beard:
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    With the MOTD thread just one thread could be created and it could be used until 10000 posts instead of having a MOTD thread each week. Not sure how much interest it'll generate, though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, having one thread rather than one a week sounds a good idea for the MOTD idea. :yy:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It would be nice if Mods would sign their name when generously handing me out warning points.

I just need to know where I should direct my thanks.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll blog :sexface:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go for it. :coma:

Forgot to mention before, but the vBookie thing didn't get moved over with the site change so atm there's nothing happening with that.

Sub forum is ready to be made though, I've been getting some of the threads ready for the next prem week, I'll probably make England/Wales and England/Ghana threads soon and it'll be up by the weekend. :yy:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 26, 2014
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.