The Student Room Group
Reply 1
it depends. your considered a sex offender if your caught having underge sex... so surely you can be given a second chance after that?
but for more serious sexual crimes no.
Reply 2
This doesnt even need to be debated! :smile:
It depends on the nature of the crime and what you mean by "second chance" and the extent of this "second chance".
It's impossible to generalise all sex offenders (or any groups of criminals, really), because individual cases can be so different. Some people might have committed a mild sexual offence when they were extremely drunk, and feel horribly guilty about it, in which case they're unlikely to do it again and perhaps deserve another chance. However you get people who assault/rape others intentionally and will do it again, so they don't deserve it.

It's the same with any kind of crime, too many grey areas.
Reply 5
I think I deserve a second chance just like other criminals yes.
Reply 6
Do sex offenders deserve a second chance

Like hell they do.
Reply 7
Hmmmm it's a difficult one, it depends.

For a start it depends on the nature in which they are a sex offender. I mean there's a difference between a 17 year old having sex with his 15 year old girlfriend and being prosecuted for statutory rape, and a serial rapist.

I think if the person has genuinely been changed and rehabilitated, and there is absolutely no chance of them being a threat to the outside world then they should be given a second chance.

I saw a documentary a while ago with Louis Theroux about an institute for paedophiles and it was really quite interesting and eye opening. They would perform tests, like showing them pictures of children and testing their mental reactions to see whether they were still... aroused by children. There were people who had been put in this place after one crime 30 years ago, and they did genuinely seem like changed people, it was strange... but then there were people who weren't.

It really does depend on the specific circumstances, but I do believe people should be given a second chance provided they are no longer a threat to the outside world.
Reply 8
Sure some of them do, its just about picking the ones that have been rehabilitated completely, the others can rot for all i care.
But also, you have to remember that they're only being allowed to appeal against being on the register - it doesnt mean that they're actually going to take anyone off it. If a child rapist appealed against being on the register and said 'i havent committed an offence in the last 10 years' it still isnt proof that they wont in the future so they wont necessarily be taken off. I agree with the above about boys of 17 sleeping with underage girls being allowed to be off the register because thats different. People who have committed really disgusting obscene crimes especially against children should have to deal with their punishment - their name's on a register for the rest of their life....they should be thankful they're not in prison for the rest of their life!!! I think they got it easy! In some countries women are put in prison for BEING raped!!
They deserve the right to appeal to be taken off the register providing the system for deciding who is taken off is reliable enough. People really need to stop acting as if every single sex offender has done horrific things to children.
Reply 11
Depends on the crime really.
A leopard doesen't change its spots seems an apt phrase here. Those that have committed sexual offence acts aged over 20, perhaps even as low as 15, imho should never get a second chance. The laws are there; they cannot claim at that age that they didn't know what they were doing.

However, I don't hold sympathy for younger offenders, but, a good point was raised on question time. Those that offend aged 10; are they fully aware of what their doing? Is it fair that this should hang over them all of their lives? I'm not totally sure.

Nevertheless, the main issue here, is the right for appeal. Not to be let off. The right to appeal might be there, however, it may be that 99% of those appealing do not get off. This to be honest, has had so much more made of it than need be. The papers have blown it all out of proportion, like anyone who appeal will be let off. That, will definately not be the case.
Original post by SpiritedAway
It depends on the nature of the crime and what you mean by "second chance" and the extent of this "second chance".

I second this.
Really does depend on the crime. If it's against a minor, then I would say unequivocally no, but for other crimes possibly.

Either way it's not really as simple as yes or no.
I don't like to talk about this because it was quite traumatic for me but I have been abused myself as a child and I believe that they should be given a second chance otherwise what's the point of there existance also there's been many cases where murderers being released from prison have gone on to do amazing things and I think that it depends upon the situation and if they keep reoffending if they don't reoffend then I believe someones mistakes should not define their whole life and they should be afforded the chance to change and be better people

Latest

Trending

Trending