The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

"Top-Up" my foundation degree?

Hey,

This is a bit premature, but this September I will hopefully be starting a foundation degree in Travel & Tourism with my career aim being to work as Cabin Crew!! However, I would still like to gain my degree so have been thinking about the OU's Business Studies program. Has anyone else done something similar? What experiences have you had?

Reply 1
It is possible to top up a foundation degree, but to do this you need to gain credit transfer for your completed modules. This means the work you do in your foundation course needs to be similar to the work an OU student would do in the degree course. As you have different degree titles this is unlikely. You may be able to gain credit transfer for a different degree, though.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
It is possible to top up a foundation degree, but to do this you need to gain credit transfer for your completed modules. This means the work you do in your foundation course needs to be similar to the work an OU student would do in the degree course. As you have different degree titles this is unlikely. You may be able to gain credit transfer for a different degree, though.

Hi thanks for your reply!!

I'm not too fussed for the degree title to be Business Studies and have looked at the website and the Open degree looks like a better option because it doesn't matter what subject you have previous study in and I should be able to get the full 240 credits to be transferred! Has anyone done this?

Thanks Juno :smile:
Original post by HaileyD
Hi thanks for your reply!!

I'm not too fussed for the degree title to be Business Studies and have looked at the website and the Open degree looks like a better option because it doesn't matter what subject you have previous study in and I should be able to get the full 240 credits to be transferred! Has anyone done this?

Thanks Juno :smile:

You'll only get the full 240 credits towards an OU Open Degree or possibly for a named degree in the same subject. Have a look on the OU Credit Transfer website as it does give specifics.
Reply 4
Original post by Stimulation
You'll only get the full 240 credits towards an OU Open Degree or possibly for a named degree in the same subject. Have a look on the OU Credit Transfer website as it does give specifics.

Oh right, do you have a link? I looked and couldn't really find any specifics!

So, I might have to do a couple of level 2 modules as well or something? I wouldn't really mind, but it would just take me longer I guess! Thanks for replying :smile:
Original post by HaileyD

So, I might have to do a couple of level 2 modules as well or something? I wouldn't really mind, but it would just take me longer I guess! Thanks for replying :smile:

I do... http://www3.open.ac.uk/credit-transfer/academic/inst000158.shtm.

That appears to be specific to foundation degrees as well.
Reply 6
Original post by HaileyD

Original post by HaileyD

It really depends on your specific modules so as you have an intended course it might be worth contacting them - although they may just say you need to apply for credit transfer which means you'll really have to wait and see.

However, if you are looking into doing a degree this much then are you sure your foundation course is the right option for you?
Reply 7
Original post by Stimulation
I do... http://www3.open.ac.uk/credit-transfer/academic/inst000158.shtm.

That appears to be specific to foundation degrees as well.

Thanks, think I will contact them though to ask a couple of questions!
Reply 8
Original post by Juno
It really depends on your specific modules so as you have an intended course it might be worth contacting them - although they may just say you need to apply for credit transfer which means you'll really have to wait and see.

However, if you are looking into doing a degree this much then are you sure your foundation course is the right option for you?

Yeah on the website it says they will tell you how much credit you get towards a named degree/open degree!

It's a foundation degree so worth 2 years of a full time degree, and yes I am sure as it's a year less than a full time degree, less attendance per week meaning I can work to gain customer service experience (which is very important when applying to be cabin crew)!! I can't wait to start :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest