History or RS at GCSE?

I'm currently choosing my GCSEs and I've pretty much decided on so far:

Maths
English x2
Triple Sciences
French
German
Geography

But I have to choose one more subject and I don't know whether I should choose RS or History? I am equally good at both, maybe slightly better at RS, than History, so I don't know what to take? I enjoy RS alot more and find History slightly boring, but I want to get the best grade I possibly can and keep the doors open for me in later life ie. A-Level etc. Which one looks better on your CV?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

If you like RS more and you're better RS, take RS. You're not going to be motivated enough to work if you don't like history. The subjects you take at GCSE aren't going to close off any doors (you could do history A-Level with out having done it at GCSE, for example)
Reply 2
I did both at GCSE and really enjoyed them. I've always loved history so enjoyed that more, but thats just my opinion.

I'd say if you enjoy RS more, you will most likely do better in it. Although history would arguably look better on a CV, a high RS grade would be better than a lower history one, I would have thought. Also, A Level/ uni grades will in the furture be more important on a CV. Employers won't think any less of you for having RS instead or history. Generally it doesn't matter too much what you want to do at A Level with regards to what you did at GCSE. I know a few people who took A Level history without having done it at GCSE.

As much as it pains me to say it, being a historian, maybe consider doing RS.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
So should I take RS because I enjoy it more?
Everyone says it's really difficult because it's lots of essay questions in exams?
Is this the same for History or not?
Do what you enjoy, ultimately it doesn't matter very much.
Reply 5
I enjoy RS more, what's easier to get A* in if you are equally good in both?
Reply 6
I don't think it really matters that much seeing as how good your other choices are. Pick what you enjoy:smile:

btw, you get to pick more GCSEs than I did- we could only pick four, and triple science counted as one of these
RS, it's better.
Reply 8
If feel old asking this but by RS do you mean RE (as it was in my day)? I did both but that was because at my school RE was obligatory. If its the same as in my day it is stupidly easy and in my mind not anywhere near as important, difficult or worthwhile as history
Reply 9
When it comes to GCSEs there aren't really any subjects that people will respect more than others (with the exception of maths, english, science). It won't make any difference whether you take RS or History (unless you're looking to do one at A-level), so choose the one you enjoy more, and the one you can get a better grade in, which judging by your posts seems like RS.
Reply 10
History all the way! I do both and historys more interesting and helps you with other subjects
Reply 11
Original post by merlynct
I'm currently choosing my GCSEs and I've pretty much decided on so far:

Maths
English x2
Triple Sciences
French
German
Geography

But I have to choose one more subject and I don't know whether I should choose RS or History? I am equally good at both, maybe slightly better at RS, than History, so I don't know what to take? I enjoy RS alot more and find History slightly boring, but I want to get the best grade I possibly can and keep the doors open for me in later life ie. A-Level etc. Which one looks better on your CV?

Thanks

I voted before I read the OP. Definitely take RE - you enjoy it more, I :love: it (though slightly less than history), it is considerably easier and not unrespected.
Reply 12
I enjoy RS more, what's easier to get A* in if you are equally good in both?

I think RE. I got 100% in both in my Mocks and summer Units, but I revise at lot less for RE. Less of the dates and more subjectivity I think.
Reply 13
Original post by gm15
If feel old asking this but by RS do you mean RE (as it was in my day)? I did both but that was because at my school RE was obligatory. If its the same as in my day it is stupidly easy and in my mind not anywhere near as important, difficult or worthwhile as history

yes, this is the same, RS is RE,
does this mean it is less respected than history or not? That's my main worry.

Also is RS more difficult because you have no coursework whatsoever and it's a 100% exam or is it better that way? Because history has coursework?:s-smilie:
Reply 14
Original post by BookWormShanti
I think RE. I got 100% in both in my Mocks and summer Units, but I revise at lot less for RE. Less of the dates and more subjectivity I think.

I've looked over some of the past RS papers, most of the questions are alot shorter than I expected, is there a right or wrong answer in RS?

and is there a right or wrong answer in History?
Reply 15
yes, this is the same, RS is RE,
does this mean it is less respected than history or not? That's my main worry.

Also is RS more difficult because you have no coursework whatsoever and it's a 100% exam or is it better that way? Because history has coursework?:s-smilie:

Coursework: Errrm in my day (i'm soooooo old) we had coursework...i got full marks in every piece.

Respect: It might have changed or may have just been my area but RE was important for the obvious reasons (tolerance etc), but not exactly challenging.
Might have changed...hopefully been made more detailed. I guess you could ask a teacher how respected it is. You can always switch or just stick with it and do history at A level. Like somebody said (i think) you can do history A level without GCSE.

If i had to choose between the 2 i'd pick history but i did love history.
Reply 16
thanks for the help, i'm leaning more towards rs now,
but i'll have a talk with the teacher first?
:smile: thanks again
Reply 17
history is the BEST GCSE! I physically love it, in year 9 I just picked it to fill up my options, but now I'm predicted A* and want to do it at degree level. It's also considered way more impressive, for a-level subjects it's put in the "hard" column, alongside the sciences, maths, modern and classic languages and English. Unlike RE, think wisely!
Reply 18
History was **** in Y9, it got better at GCSE.
id go for rs if you like it
i do both and rs is easier by far
the exam (were on wjec) asks a lot for your own opinion and as long as u structure the answer properly it is easy to get full marks
history is a lot more difficult because full marks is subjective on the marker
also the longest question on our rs in 8 marks whereas on history its 16!! thats a lot of marks to lose on one question

Quick Reply

Latest