The Student Room Group

What are the most ridiculous uni courses you've seen?

I'm sure we've all come across some pretty laughable, pointless and just plain absurd university courses in our time. What are some of the most crazy you've seen?

Some of the weirdest ones I've seen are The Music Of The Beatles at Liverpool University, Fire Studies (Pyromaniacs apply now!) and Glass studies.

Another weird-sounding one was Holocaust Studies. Must be the most depressing lecture theatre in history :s-smilie:

As a side-note does anybody know someone who has taken a subject like this or even taken one themselves? If so, what is that person like/class like?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yale University offers a course in "Christian Theology and Harry Potter", where students explore ways in which the Harry Potter novels espouse a Christian theological worldview; with readings from theological texts as well as the series.

I didn't actually believe it when I first heard about it, especially because it's Yale...but yeh, it's legit.
Original post by BabushkaMan

Some of the weirdest ones I've seen are The Music Of The Beatles at Liverpool University, Fire Studies (Pyromaniacs apply now!) and Glass studies.

Liverpool Hope, actually :biggrin: And it's a good course, it's a Masters, not an undergrad degree, and I think it's silly to complain about Masters courses as they're not paid for, or subsidised, by the taxpayer :biggrin:
A couple from America:

http://www.centre.edu/web/news/2008/walking.html

http://www2.colum.edu/course_descriptions/52-2725J.html

Also heard of courses on David Beckham, sandwich making and Klingon.
Reply 4
Golf management
Pop music
Waste management with dance, third world development with pop music and dance with equine studies.

What the actual ****?
I'm pretty sure Birmingham had Golf Course Management when I went to their open day.

The David Beckham one was a 1/3 of a year of the degree at Sunderland I think, and was on his influence on sport.
Original post by Panda Vinnie
Yale University offers a course in "Christian Theology and Harry Potter", where students explore ways in which the Harry Potter novels espouse a Christian theological worldview; with readings from theological texts as well as the series.

I didn't actually believe it when I first heard about it, especially because it's Yale...but yeh, it's legit.

I cannot even begin to contemplate what our world would be like if the University of Yale did not offer "Christian Theology and Harry Potter" as a degree.

The madness and chaos.

It is just unfathomable.
Oh look, it's this thread again.
:yawn:
The Holocaust Studies course is at Manchester (although I think it's joint honors). I'd love to do it, I loved studying the Holocaust in Humanities at school, and I went to the Auswitch camps last summer and the tour guide was so inspiring, she knew everything!
Original post by forrestgump19

Also heard of courses on David Beckham.

I really wish people would stop being so mis-informed.
It was not a course on David Beckham. It was ONE module as part of a sociology / media degree focussing on superstars and the like, using him as an example.
Reply 12
BA International Football Business Management.
Or BA Airline and Airport Management.

Both at Bucks New University.

:confused:
Reply 13
Adventure at Chichester University.

In reply to the golf management at Birmingham, I know of people who do it and it has one of the highest graduate employment rates as it is applying business studies to a particular area. Think it may have been 100% or something like that?
Reply 14
Homeopathy... LOL.
Reply 15
Psychology. It's not even a real science.

:ninja:
Original post by Fusilero
Psychology. It's not even a real science.

:ninja:

I see you trollin'
physics. I mean wtf is the point?
I think the Complementary Health one at Middlesex is the worst. You are getting a degree in a subject which has been repeatedly shown to be ineffective. http://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/complementary_health/index.aspx

They were pulled up on offering the course, and a member of the faculty stated: 'It's perplexing that anyone could consider Ayurveda non-scientific'.
Reply 19
Lady Gaga sociology course at South Carolina University (in the US)

Quick Reply

Latest