The Student Room Group

BBC3 - Junior Doctors: Your Life In Their Hands

Scroll to see replies

Wasn't a fan of junior docs this week just felt so superfical with the two chelsea girls splashing on wages and the boring focus on venflons/cardiac arrests. Doctors do more than that...

DID like confessions of a nurse. Not being bias but much more realistic...especially as this week focuses on the newly qualified nurses/students!

Eg what initially happens at an medical emergency, the run around the ward, scrape to put the call out and how you always run into something when the buzzer goes, plus the relationship with staff and how student nurses work!

Also fully relate to how you're ON shift whilst asleep, playing over it in your mind. Plus the realism of dealing with truly difficult patients (not just one who doesn't want you to cannulate them) but the ones who insult, whack and bite you...Plus the light side of dementia care!

Not sure about the nurse Angela who is often late and gets distracted on drugs round by her mum across the corridor...I'm newly qualified and spend my time in drug rounds reading the BNF and triple checking everything!

It just looked into more detail of The effects your relationship have on shift times, what happens after a doctor has pronounced a death, the long term relationships you have with your patient rather than just when you're doing clinical duties. Plus that struggle when you have some intuition something is up but a doctor doesn't listen it you have to find some quantifiable evidence so they will review the patient!

Plus I love how they show the weird little rituals nurses do when patients die, like opening the window to let the spirit out! Plus the way they showed the patients own reaction to an arrest happening around them.

I suppose junior docs appeals to the younger generation maybe? However there is something glossed over which irks me, there is a messy side to medicine yet it's just not shown or glossed over. Or am I just a massive pessimist?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 079
Im really confused about one part of the this weeks episode, the patient who died because she stopped eating properly (well thats the reason Lucy gave)

So if a patient at a hospital refuses to eat and drink, the doctors/nurses are not allowed to force them right? Would the death then be declared as euthanasia? Any patient can do this then, if they are being refused voluntary euthanasia, they can just starve themselves and die that way.. :s-smilie:

If the patient has capacity then yes we cannot force them to eat. Although we won't give up so easily, but I've had a few patients go this way due to not eating and drinking despite everything we try and do. She must likely had co-morbidities which also may have contributed to the death, but that's the way it is. The tip is when this happens to document and document! You could argue though that the Liverpool care pathway is a form of euthanasia.

I had a patient yesterday who got put on the pathway, once I removed the oxygen they went quite quickly, was I performing euthanasia when infant the doctor and family requested all treatment (including 02) to be removed?
Original post by 079
Im really confused about one part of the this weeks episode, the patient who died because she stopped eating properly (well thats the reason Lucy gave)

So if a patient at a hospital refuses to eat and drink, the doctors/nurses are not allowed to force them right? Would the death then be declared as euthanasia? Any patient can do this then, if they are being refused voluntary euthanasia, they can just starve themselves and die that way.. :s-smilie:

No - euthanasia is doctors deliberately doing something to end a patient's life. In the UK, it is illegal.

If a patient has capacity (i.e. understands the consequences of not eating/drinking) then they are entitled to do as they please and doctors cannot force them against their will. In fact, even if a patient does not have capacity, at the end of life feeding/fluids can be withdrawn if it's not in their best interests. This is not euthanasia, it is withdrawal of unnecessary treatment and is good palliative care.
Reply 2043
Original post by Subcutaneous
If the patient has capacity then yes we cannot force them to eat. Although we won't give up so easily, but I've had a few patients go this way due to not eating and drinking despite everything we try and do. She must likely had co-morbidities which also may have contributed to the death, but that's the way it is. The tip is when this happens to document and document! You could argue though that the Liverpool care pathway is a form of euthanasia.

I had a patient yesterday who got put on the pathway, once I removed the oxygen they went quite quickly, was I performing euthanasia when infant the doctor and family requested all treatment (including 02) to be removed?

Original post by Helenia
No - euthanasia is doctors deliberately doing something to end a patient's life. In the UK, it is illegal.

If a patient has capacity (i.e. understands the consequences of not eating/drinking) then they are entitled to do as they please and doctors cannot force them against their will. In fact, even if a patient does not have capacity, at the end of life feeding/fluids can be withdrawn if it's not in their best interests. This is not euthanasia, it is withdrawal of unnecessary treatment and is good palliative care.

Thanks for your response! I understand now
Reply 2044
Original post by Helenia

Aren't doctors allowed to give morphine or something if they think it will ease someone's passing (though it will mean the patient dies quicker)?
At what point would this legally become euthanasia?
Is this only allowed when they are definitely on their way out?
Original post by kingme
Aren't doctors allowed to give morphine or something if they think it will ease someone's passing (though it will mean the patient dies quicker)?

It becomes euthanasia when you give someone morphine with the intention of killing them.

You can give morphine at any stage if they are in sufficient pain to warrant it, as long as your intention is to relieve pain (or respiratory distress in some circumstances). It is a fantastic drug when used appropriately - most of my patients are on infusions of the stuff. It does suppress respiratory drive and so you do have to monitor patients, but most of the time hastening death is not a concern.
Original post by kingme

Very very small amounts of morphine or a syringe driver is often used although so small it will make the patient comfortable more than overdose and kill them. It's only allowed when the decision is made by medical, nursing and the family usually when the patient is expected to go in the next 24 hours, it also has to be reviewed every 3 days. It's worth reading up on what's called the Liverpool care pathway, personally I think palliative care is doing shockingly poor in hospitals and you get a lot of patients who are put on the pathway far too late.
I love this programme! I work as a bank HCA in the hospitals where the first series were filmed, and my cousin and I have a little competition going on to see who can spot all the docs from the last series! I like the look of this series already, I loved the "Fun. Fair...not a funfair" thing :smile:

Plus I love how they show the weird little rituals nurses do when patients die, like opening the window to let the spirit out!

Holy moly...:facepalm2:
Original post by digitalis

It gets done, even in the most atheist of nurses! I don't open the window as im not tall enough, but I do have a cup of tea after doing last offices (I'm a coffee girl myself) as a ritual and I know one nurse who will leave a paper rose on the body after its been wrapped. It's a way of coping especially in the relationship nurses get with their patients can be quite personal, it can be like loosing a friend sometimes

I've heard of it being done before. It has the slight downside that the patient is then ice-cold by the time they're certified/seen by family.
Original post by Helenia
I've heard of it being done before. It has the slight downside that the patient is then ice-cold by the time they're certified/seen by family.

ouch I wouldn't do it then! on wards where the window's aren't out of my reach I've done it during us performing the last offices which is ofcourse done after the family have seen (but sometimes family members do help us perform this) and after certification etc
Reply 2052
Am I the only one who prefers the previous series?

I know it's early days but...
It gets done, even in the most atheist of nurses! I don't open the window as im not tall enough, but I do have a cup of tea after doing last offices (I'm a coffee girl myself) as a ritual and I know one nurse who will leave a paper rose on the body after its been wrapped. It's a way of coping especially in the relationship nurses get with their patients can be quite personal, it can be like loosing a friend sometimes

:puke:

Come on mate...
Original post by Helenia

Not to mention the poor old cachectic biddy in the next bay freezing their *******s off.
:puke:

Come on mate...

It's true! Imagine having a patient on say a stroke rehab ward where average LOS is 27 days, you'd see this person an average of 3-4 times a week, for 12hours a day and get to know them, their family and they know you aswell and call you by your first name. You get a really good relationship with them as you're helping them cope with a quite tough time that stroke rehab often is- yet after 30 days suddenly they get pneumonia, and go down hill. I cried for a few days when this happened to one of my patients as we got on really well and he was such a sweet man, his family invited the ward staff to his funeral aswell

Totally agree about the building of a relationship. I built up relationships patients on a cardiology ward who came in regularly, it is really sad seeing them suddenly go downhill and sometimes it would seem like an inevitable progression and you are glad they are no longer suffering (but still sad), but sometimes a patient deteriorate out of the blue.

I've never heard of letting the spirit out but I was taught to and find it easier to talk to them as if they were alive. It was never my favourite job as a HCA though.
Reply 2057
It's true! Imagine having a patient on say a stroke rehab ward where average LOS is 27 days, you'd see this person an average of 3-4 times a week, for 12hours a day and get to know them, their family and they know you aswell and call you by your first name. You get a really good relationship with them as you're helping them cope with a quite tough time that stroke rehab often is- yet after 30 days suddenly they get pneumonia, and go down hill. I cried for a few days when this happened to one of my patients as we got on really well and he was such a sweet man, his family invited the ward staff to his funeral aswell

I agree with this. I'm only a bank HCA so I perhaps don't really get to build relationships with patients like permanent staff do, but I understand how it is easy to get attached to patients. Many nurses have their own little rituals when patients pass away. If a nurse likes to leave a paper rose with them, then what's the harm in that?

Let's be honest; you don't see a patient for 12 hours a day. Unless you are doing 1 on 1 in ITU or psych.
Let's be honest; you don't see a patient for 12 hours a day. Unless you are doing 1 on 1 in ITU or psych.

Well stroke ward nurses do tend to be 1 nurse to a bay or 2 of 6 patients...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending