The Student Room Group

BBC3 - Junior Doctors: Your Life In Their Hands

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helenia

Original post by Helenia
I can quite believe it, and tbh it's probably not as much of a bad idea as the parents who come in having used toothpaste or butter on their children's burns. :eek: But it did make for some light relief amidst the overly-dramatised voiceover of the rest of the show.

Haha my mum always used to put butter on our burn wounds. This wasn't a trend with asians was it?
Original post by areebmazhar
Haha my mum always used to put butter on our burn wounds. This wasn't a trend with asians was it?

Mostly, yeah. It's actually a pretty bad idea - don't do it to your kids!
Original post by Helenia

Original post by Helenia

Lol, I knew it was us asians, don't worry I won't be doing that. Another common asian remedy (not sure if you've seen this) is for ear-aches put cooking oil in ear and leave overnight :biggrin:
Reply 1963
Original post by Helenia

Lol, I knew it was us asians, don't worry I won't be doing that. Another common asian remedy (not sure if you've seen this) is for ear-aches put cooking oil in ear and leave overnight :biggrin:

My granny covered my arm in honey when I spilt hot tea over it, and wrapped it up in kitchen roll. Felt very sticky the whole day :redface:

Ahh, that's not just Asians - I've known plenty of people do that. Supposedly loosens ear wax. :s-smilie:

I remember once I had a terrible ear ache and my mum put some cotton wool + cooking oil + garlic? in my ear and it felt amazing! :colondollar:
Reply 1966
heyy, sorry kinda change of subject, but does last tuesdays episode repeat and when? :smile: cos my iplayer is playing up :frown: and i missed it :P
Original post by thegodofgod

Original post by thegodofgod
I remember once I had a terrible ear ache and my mum put some cotton wool + cooking oil + garlic? in my ear and it felt amazing! :colondollar:

Haha, I don't know if it actually worked but I remember it feeling nice when the oil first goes into the ear. Almost relaxing and soothing
Original post by sydney07
heyy, sorry kinda change of subject, but does last tuesdays episode repeat and when? :smile: cos my iplayer is playing up :frown: and i missed it :P

Last broadcast for episode 1 was Mon 30 Jan 2012 04:00 - the next broadcast will be the fresh new episode :s-smilie:
Original post by *pitseleh*
Ahh, that's not just Asians - I've known plenty of people do that. Supposedly loosens ear wax. :s-smilie:

Yeah, we actually recommend it (olive oil rather than cooking oil, but I'm not sure it makes much difference) before ear syringing, as it helps loosen wax. No use for treating other causes of painful ears though.
I think heleina and hygeia are fully qualified, don't know about any others

Whos hygeia?
Thanks heleina. How long have you been a fully qualified doctor for?? :smile:
Original post by Helenia
Yeah, we actually recommend it (olive oil rather than cooking oil, but I'm not sure it makes much difference) before ear syringing, as it helps loosen wax. No use for treating other causes of painful ears though.

I think the olive oil thing is totally useless, especially if you have a big buildup as it doesn't penetrate deep enough (unfortunately from experience-woke up a couple of times now not being able to hear a damned thing)

After being fobbed off by a NP, got an ENT SHO to suction it in outpatients. Could have hugged him.
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95

Whos hygeia?

Not sure if I spelled her name right, she's a supermod as well and I think she's a doctor too. If you want an answer from Helenia just quote one of her posts but I think she's a F1/F2
Whos hygeia?

Hygeia is one of the other supermods; she's an F1. I have been qualified for years.
Okay. Im dont mean to be funny but what does ''supermods'' mean?
Do you enjoy your job?
Do you enjoy your job?

Like a normal mod....but better.
Do you enjoy your job?

Essentially, like the boss of your boss, but they're still your boss as well :tongue:
Pahahaaaaa cracking up at Sameer here..."I got into medicine to save people from disease...if I couldn't do that I would want to save people from organised crime"

xD
Original post by Boom533
Pahahaaaaa cracking up at Sameer here..."I got into medicine to save people from disease...if I couldn't do that I would want to save people from organised crime"

xD

"I don't want to be traded for a cow....or a microwave." :rofl:
Original post by Joseppea
"I don't want to be traded for a cow....or a microwave." :rofl:

I genuinely thought i'd misheard that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending