The Student Room Group

Do uni's accept D1 and D2?

I am self teaching myself FM, but as part of it I am self teaching myself D1 and D2, as I dislike mechanics and actually find D1/2 a bit interesting.

Point is, I read that uni's don't like students doing D1/D2 applied modules and would prefer other ones.

I would have FP1 -> FP3, so all the pure modules covered as well as C1 -> C4 and S1 -> S3, surely this is what uni's would care about? Would it matter in my case if I was to apply for say economics at universities? Would I be at any disadvantage whatsoever?
Reply 1
I have not heard this before :erm: I'm pretty sure it will make no difference!
Me neither....my school actively encourages FM 'geeks' to do Decision modules because they are (supposedly) easier to get higher marks on. :confused:
Reply 3
From what i've heard Uni's only have preference if you are going to do a course where doing something like Mechanics might come into practical use i.e. an engineering course... if you were to apply for Economics I can't see how doing D1 would be a disadvantage
Reply 4
I hadn't heard about it until earlier when I was searching through old TSR threads, with some posts saying about how universities don't like D1/D2 and prefer other applied modules. But there were a few conflicting opinions. Which has kind of got me worried now xD
Original post by np1992

Original post by np1992
From what i've heard Uni's only have preference if you are going to do a course where doing something like Mechanics might come into practical use i.e. an engineering course... if you were to apply for Economics I can't see how doing D1 would be a disadvantage

What if you do Mechanics modules AND Decision modules, for an engineering course?
Reply 6
Original post by im so academic
What if you do Mechanics modules AND Decision modules, for an engineering course?

I can't see any issue with that as you'll have done the mechanics modules and done decision instead of something like statistics which is equally as inapplicable as Decision
Reply 7
Original post by np1992
I can't see any issue with that as you'll have done the mechanics modules and done decision instead of something like statistics which is equally as inapplicable as Decision

I'd say quite a few aspects of decision maths and statistics are applicable to many things.
i did maths with D1 and M1, wasn't a problem for me, and i do a fairly mathematical course!
haven't heard of it being a problem, the decision (D) modules tend to be popular because they're so easy, so boost marks :smile:

you could always try emailing a couple of the unis you're interested in, to check, i'm sure they wouldn't mind enquiries, at least it shows interest!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm currently at Exeter doing Maths and for Maths and FM I did:

C1-4
FP1-3
M1-3
D1-2
S1
Original post by CameraGirl

Original post by CameraGirl
i did maths with D1 and M1, wasn't a problem for me, and i do a fairly mathematical course!
haven't heard of it being a problem, the decision (D) modules tend to be popular because they're so easy, so boost marks :smile:

you could always try emailing a couple of the unis you're interested in, to check, i'm sure they wouldn't mind enquiries, at least it shows interest!

Apparently D1 can be done over a weekend as it's so easy?! :s-smilie:
They might slightly prefer mechanics but it shouldn't make a difference. Also, for your information it's impossible to enjoy D1.

No. Even though the content is easy, you need to know exactly how they want you to apply it. This is because the algorithms they expect you to know need to be carried out precisely (E.g. the completely useless bubble or quick sort...)

But once you know how to do it and have done a couple of papers then, yeah, it's quite easy :smile:

yeaaaah the best way i can describe it is "dot-to-dot" :P
gave me a chance to concentrate on C4! haha. no revision and got 95% haha. shame about that other 5%, must have mis-judged some dots XD

but yeah, as soutioirism said, not quite over the weekend :wink: you do have to get it exactly right, some bits are easy to make a mistake, but the actual maths isn't hard at all tbh
(edited 13 years ago)
It strikes me that Decision Mathematics is a set of modules designed for wasters who cannot handle Mechanics, and is looked down upon accordingly. I'd seriously recommend sitting Mechanics exams instead.
Reply 15
Original post by Harry S Truman
It strikes me that Decision Mathematics is a set of modules designed for wasters who cannot handle Mechanics, and is looked down upon accordingly. I'd seriously recommend sitting Mechanics exams instead.

So not true. At all.
Original post by ElMoro
So not true. At all.

The orthodox view of Decision Mathematics is that, well, it really isn't Mathematics at all. Don't shoot the messenger just because you were bamboozled into taking worthless modules.
Reply 17
Original post by Harry S Truman
The orthodox view of Decision Mathematics is that, well, it really isn't Mathematics at all. Don't shoot the messenger just because you were bamboozled into taking worthless modules.

1. Yes, decision modules aren't the best choice if you want to do a degree in maths. Does that make them worthless? No.

2. Who are you to say that people who take them are wasters and can't handle mechanics? I chose to do D1 because it genuinely interests me (I want to do CompSci) and I can handle mechanics fine, thank you very much. I got a very respectable grade in M1 and will be taking M2 and M3 in summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending