The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ckingalt
I concede that the quality of life is likely to be better in Europe for the poor, but that is not what maters to me most. My question would be; if I am poor, what country would offer me the best chance, no matter how slim, of becoming not poor? The answer I have come up with is;

1. New Zealand
2. Australia
3. U.S.
4. Canada
5. Singapore

I base this on the ease of small business to open, operate, and succeed. For me that is the key to true social mobility. The reason Europe does not make that list is because a Nanny State provides more security now at the price of less opportunity tomorrow.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm just saying that I personally would rather have opportunity that security.

New Zealand has one of the highest costs of living, and the rate of inflation over there is enormous. It definitely should not be at the top of that list.
Original post by DYKWIA
The USA does better in terms of HDI, GDP, happiness etc. than most areas of europe. europeans are jealous of US wealth.

And you wonder why we rip on Americans all of the time?
Aside from the fact that there are plenty of areas in Europe that are actually wealthier and more developed than the United States, > does not = envy.
Original post by calumsteele1
yet theyre really not? europe doesnt suffer from the same social ills america does and we dont let our citizens fall into complete poverty. america has one of the largest divides between rich and poor in the western world that is nothing you should be proud of but then again you being the casual fascist you are youd beg to differ wouldnt you?

Aren't poverty rates more or less identical? I'm more interested in how many billionaires you have.
(edited 12 years ago)
The only thing I'm jealous of America is the same thing I'm jealous of Canada and Australia - more space!
Original post by Made in the USA
Aren't poverty rates more or less identical? I'm more interested in how many billionaires you have.

what does that have to do with it? just remember it was you 'rich americans' that threw the world into one of the deepest depressions ever...
Err isn't Europe the wealthiest region in the world anyway ?
Almost as much as we're jealous of Samantha Brick's beauty.

in the same way india has billionares. i'd love to live there :rolleyes:
Reply 208
Monte Carlo is not an accurate representation of the whole of Europe. Besides, there are similar places in America, like the Hamptons and certain areas in LA and New York where people seem to show off their wealth.
Besides, I know where I'd rather live, and it's not in a country with a primitive mess of a healthcare system, highest obesity rates in the world and poor education facilities for underprivileged students. Is your country really so great??

You know I can come up with some random statistic which shows how Europe is much better:

Rank City Country Number of Global 500
companies Global 500
revenues ($ millions, FY 07-08)
1 Tokyo Japan 47 1,858,608
2 Paris France 38 1,419,933
3 London United Kingdom 22 1,183,769
4 Beijing China 21 943,768
5 New York United States 20 1,166,469
6 Seoul South Korea 13 576,919
7 Toronto Canada 9 229,308
8 Madrid Spain 8 357,927
9 Munich Germany 7 455,821
9 Zurich Switzerland 7 354,657
9 Osaka Japan 7 267,296
10 Houston United States 6 344,028

You see it is stupid it has nothing to do with how rich the countries are, it is just how centralised they are (for example half of French GDP is generated in the capital area).

Finally your remark is totally stupid, USA have the richest gap between rich and poor, so I do not even understand where you are coming from...

A side note on the touristic stuff. Just look at Elysée and White House, two buildings from the same century and used for the same functions. From a European eyes, US monument have nothing impressive, plus everything is modern time period...

The type of crime that is completely our of control in Athens is non-violent crimes like simple theft, pick-pocketing, and especially fraud. The institutional corruption and fraud is so widespread at every level of the society, especially government, that it would be very hard to measure accurately.

Even the people who are not professional criminals are crooks.

Lol. The biggest corporate frauds have all been in the USA. Not only that, but Enron was one of the biggest funders of the Bush campaign. Honest politics? Lol

Latest

Trending

Trending