The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Europe is the wealthiest region in the world. So we arent jealous of you- and when Glenn Beck once yelled "we're not Europe yet!!!11!! herp derp" i took that as some kind of backhanded compliment. I much prefer Europe. What is standard holiday time in the USA, erm... 10 days a year?
Original post by LysFromParis
Access to health care (and not only basic health care), access to education, life "security" (unemployment benefit, benefit for disabled, illness benefit etc.), pollution, median income (taking into account what American have to pay which is provided by government in Europe), access to culture, minimum wage etc... Life seems to be way easier in western Europe.

Access to education is really not a good measure if the education you're being given acess to, sucks. So it's an irrelevant measure by itself, really. Quality of education is surely the most important variable (+access to it of course) but it's not easily quantified. Healthcare suffers from the same thing. Access to healthcare in North Korea is awesome (free) but nevertheless not much caring for health is going on (a better measure might be to ask people if they're satisfied with their healthcare but you might run into problems of comparison here).

Also how do you measure pollution?

And I don't see why the Americans lack social security - it's the biggest item on their budget (that's a universal thing actually). As to the rest of the measures, I'm pretty sure America has a roughly equal (if not higher) median income than Western Europe, the higher minimum wage is one of the reasons why European youth unemployment rates are consistently higher (so I don't particularly see that as a good thing), and culture is, again, hard to measure.

As I see it, you forgot to mention the most important measure and that's consumer prices (i.e. how much do you have to work to cover your needs). But then again that's subjective so even if you knew all of the above (which I'm pretty sure nobody does and most who think they do are just kidding themselves), there's still the weight factor. Would you assign the same weight to income as you would to culture? how do you decide which is most important or if all of them are equally important?

Anyways, this is a huge issue and I don't really think it's as easy as "VEE HAV UNIVERSAL CELSCARE". You have to make assumptions about how other people subjectively value these different measures and then go on to create an objective standard of living index. It makes no sense. If you can't have an objective index, comparison becomes useless.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Bourgeois
Access to education is really not a good measure if the education you're being given acess to, sucks. So it's an irrelevant measure by itself, really. Quality of education is surely the most important variable (+access to it of course) but it's not easily quantified. Healthcare suffers from the same thing. Access to healthcare in North Korea is awesome (free) but nevertheless not much caring for health is going on (a better measure might be to ask people if they're satisfied with their healthcare but you might run into problems of comparison here).

Also how do you measure pollution?

And I don't see why the Americans lack social security - it's the biggest item on their budget (that's a universal thing actually). As to the rest of the measures, I'm pretty sure America has a roughly equal (if not higher) median income than Western Europe, the higher minimum wage is one of the reasons why European youth unemployment rates are consistently higher (so I don't particularly see that as a good thing), and culture is, again, hard to measure.

As I see it, you forgot to mention the most important measure and that's consumer prices (i.e. how much do you have to work to cover your needs). But then again that's subjective so even if you knew all of the above (which I'm pretty sure nobody does and most who think they do are just kidding themselves), there's still the weight factor. Would you assign the same weight to income as you would to culture? how do you decide which is most important or if all of them are equally important?

Anyways, this is a huge issue and I don't really think it's as easy as "VEE HAV UNIVERSAL CELSCARE". You have to make assumptions about how other people subjectively value these different measures and then go on to create an objective standard of living index. It makes no sense. If you can't have an objective index, comparison becomes useless.

This (emboldened bit) alone is an excellent way to measure the superiority of the European Culture "Variable", - our higher tolerance and respect. And European healthcare systems are frequently ranked higher than the US for consumer satisfaction (see the E.I.U.'s worldwide index), not to mention the fact that our educations systems focus on other cultures as well as our own and aren't riddled with creationist bull**** - unlike the minds of many Americans.
Reply 43
I am embarassed at the default anti-Americanism that is de rigeur in Britain, not least in this topic. Even a 'jazz' lover above has a pot shot at the place that gave birth to jazz.

What I have come to understand about Britain is that it is unhealthily obsessed with 'losing its inhibitions', inhibitions that are actually mainly of the intellectual kind as it frequently only pretends to have moral inhibitions. (I am not a churchgoer and don't necessarily say that religiousness and morality go hand in hand but, still, only 7% of Brits go to church and close to 50% of Americans do. Whether you are religious nor not, it suggests that there is a stronger wish to live to a moral code in the average person in America). Also, as the comedian Reginald D Hunter put it , Brits drink like the Americans eat. But at least overeating never resulted in anyone getting a glass in the face.

In America there is a respect for the grass roots. There is the idea that you can go from the 'log cabin to the White House'. This metaphor is designed to inspire hard work whereas in Britain the metaphor would cynically be used to promote left wing social engineering.

America has a rich history that most Europeans cannot be bothered to look in to.
Being wealthy there is seen as an earned by-product of hard work.
Reply 44
Original post by Muscovite
not to mention the fact that our educations systems focus on other cultures as well as our own and aren't riddled with creationist bull**** - unlike the minds of many Americans.

Personally, regardless of whether I believe that there is actually a God, I'd be happier living in a country where far more people do believe that. I'd feel safer and life would seem to make more sense in terms of natural justice knowing that people's actions may be done as if an all knowing, all seeing, all powerful deity can be witness to them rather than living in a country where the only deterrent to many is being found out and, for some, that old fashioned notion 'conscience'.

Is your dismissal of creationism as bull**** actually an educated one? Have you read any objections which, entirely correctly, state that evolution could have been created by a God? How can you know? The country has been brainwashed in to thinking that God has been disproven merely by evolution.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by janco
I've only lived in Europe for a year due to my mother's stupid job, but on a recent trip to Monaco, I noticed how desperate people were to display their 'wealth'. All of the women were wearing fur coats, and the men thought they were all it because they wore Rolex watches. I was in the mood for a burger and bought one from a street vendor, and he proceeded to get a plate with a knife and fork and serve it under a sun-umbrella. I was enjoying it until I saw the bill and it was 15 euros for the burger and a bit of salad. It just struck me as so pretensious and ostentatious. To me, as an American, I've always been used to being surrounded by wealth but not having to brag about it like Europeans do. I suppose this is the reason that Monte Carlans were desperate to show off; to kid themselves that they have life as we do in the States. Do you agree?

What the others have said.
Western Europe has higher living standards, better social care and Monaco is not anything like the rest of Europe. Its like hollywood, but much, much richer.

What are you basing this apparent 'wealth on? The simplest method of that would be GDP per capita ($46,436 in USA. $211,501 in Monaco). To me, that very simple comparison clearly says Monaco IS richer than the average US state.

Take Washington DC (US's richest region)
Total area = 68.3 sq mi
Population = 601,723
GDP per capita = 66,000

Monaco
Total area = 0.78 sq mi
Population = 30,586
GDP per capita = 159,811
This (emboldened bit) alone is an excellent way to measure the superiority of the European Culture "Variable", - our higher tolerance and respect. And European healthcare systems are frequently ranked higher than the US for consumer satisfaction (see the E.I.U.'s worldwide index), not to mention the fact that our educations systems focus on other cultures as well as our own and aren't riddled with creationist bull**** - unlike the minds of many Americans.

As far as I know, the Economist's index (quality of life index) suffers greatly from the kind of thing I was talking about before (arbitrarily assigning importance in different variables). And they don't measure satisfaction with healthcare in their "health" variable. They measure life expectancy which is highly influenced by other factors other than healthcare. In any case I don't even see how this helps you. The US ranks higher than the Netherlands, Portugal, Austria, Greece, Cyprus, Belgium, France, Germany, and the UK. That's quite a lot of EU countries. This is the 2005 index btw.

And I'm not gonna comment on your opinion about universal healthcare and education. As I said before, it's subjective.
Reply 47
Original post by Picnic1
America has a rich history that most Europeans cannot be bothered to look in to. Being wealthy there is seen as an earned by-product of hard work.

The very origin of America is Europe's greatest embarrassment. We found some land, kicked everyone off of it, killed a lot of people and then found ourselves some nice slaves. Not a very rich history in my opinion.
Original post by janco
I've only lived in Europe for a year due to my mother's stupid job, but on a recent trip to Monaco, I noticed how desperate people were to display their 'wealth'. All of the women were wearing fur coats, and the men thought they were all it because they wore Rolex watches. I was in the mood for a burger and bought one from a street vendor, and he proceeded to get a plate with a knife and fork and serve it under a sun-umbrella. I was enjoying it until I saw the bill and it was 15 euros for the burger and a bit of salad. It just struck me as so pretensious and ostentatious. To me, as an American, I've always been used to being surrounded by wealth but not having to brag about it like Europeans do. I suppose this is the reason that Monte Carlans were desperate to show off; to kid themselves that they have life as we do in the States. Do you agree?

*******s. US living standards are not much higher than in Europe.
The UK, despite having no Empire, has a more lasting contribution to global civilsation. The USA is only noteworthy for making ICT, and being a superpower due to muscles only.
I spent two weeks in Kentucky. Suffice to say, coming back home to London was like returning to heaven (by comparison).

We can all extrude wild conclusions based on very insignificant field data. Just know that your words are meaningless.
Ahahahahaha.

Hahahaha.

The only thing I'm jealous of is the price of real estate.
Pretty sure America is in more debt than any other country in the world...
Reply 53
This (emboldened bit) alone is an excellent way to measure the superiority of the European Culture "Variable", - our higher tolerance and respect.

HAHA that is just comical, what with one European nation after another declaring that multiculturalism has failed and resorting to nationalism.
As far as I know, the Economist's index (quality of life index) suffers greatly from the kind of thing I was talking about before (arbitrarily assigning importance in different variables). And they don't measure satisfaction with healthcare in their "health" variable. They measure life expectancy which is highly influenced by other factors other than healthcare. In any case I don't even see how this helps you. The US ranks higher than the Netherlands, Portugal, Austria, Greece, Cyprus, Belgium, France, Germany, and the UK. That's quite a lot of EU countries. This is the 2005 index btw.

And I'm not gonna comment on your opinion about universal healthcare and education. As I said before, it's subjective.

How could you rank satisfaction ? Lets take an example : France has its health care system ranked as the best in the world, USA is far to be perfect and when the cost is averaged over all citizen is more than twice more expensive.

Now, the average French citizen probably never used an other health care system than its own, so he will probably complain saying it could be better (probably with reason), same thing goes for the American. If the American think are more satisfied, with a less effective system, does it mean that their system is better ?

About education :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment

The main problem in USA is the high gap between poor people and the middle class. In Europe this gap is much more smaller, so everything equal the overall "median life standard" would be higher.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 55
If someone says to Miss World how ugly and stupid she is, I believe I would expect a similar reaction to whats happening on this thread.
Europe is an old, nationally diverse and drenched with history continent. I havent heard of one european complaining about how less of people they are from the americans.
For the record I dont think America is full of ingnorant people, Europe as well. I dont think that the standard of life is bad on any continent/country. I do think we are richer in history, science and culture - no American can aruge that for the mere fact that your history has barely 200 years. I do think that the houses in America are bigger, more spacious and cheaper. I intend to buy one in California one day :smile:
Original post by LysFromParis
How could you rank satisfaction ? Lets take an example : France has its health care system ranked as the best in the world, USA is far to be perfect and when the cost is averaged over all citizen is more than twice more expensive.

Now, the average French citizen probably never used an other health care system than its own, so he will probably complain saying it could be better (probably with reason), same thing goes for the American. If the American think are more satisfied, with a less effective system, does it mean that their system is better ?

About education :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment

The main problem in USA is the high gap between poor people and the middle class. In Europe this gap is much more smaller, so everything equal the overall "median life standard" would be higher.

That's one of the reasons why I said earlier that:
Bourgeois
(a better measure might be to ask people if they're satisfied with their healthcare but you might run into problems of comparison here)

And that's also why you fail on your own terms when you declare that France has the best healthcare system in the world whilst simultaneously acknowledging that satisfaction with healthcare is a subjective thing. What does "best" mean if it doesn't mean best for those who use that service?

So it's still better than any other measure I can think of (certainly much better than the standards of measure you used to come up with French healthcare being the best in the world).

Also yes I agree that American healthcare is expensive. Now, THAT is an objective measure.

From reading your post, all I have established is that the Americans pay more for healthcare relative to the French (they pay more for healthcare than anybody else in the world actually). And I already knew that.

And yes I'm familiar with the programme you're talking about but as you see there are objections to it and as with life expectancy it doesn't take into account other factors which influence school performance greatly (America being a land of immigrants, for example, is of course going to score much lower than Finland which takes in 1 poor immigrant per year). They don't control for any factor, they simply take tests.

So all I'm saying is that people should tone it down with international comparisons. There are so many variables at play and it's very difficult to know things like which country has the "best" healthcare or the "best" education.
Original post by janco

You'd be wrong to think that, very wrong.
Many Americans seem to think often Europe and nations around the world want to compete or keep up with the USA, this is not true. They are in fact keeping up with each other, with the rest of the world in terms of finance and trends and traditions, technology, and so on. This extends to trade, economy, fashion and so on.

Original post by Chillaxer
No. America has been equally if not more notorious for vulgar displays of wealth, and you were in Monaco ffs, just about the capital for such things.

This
That's one of the reasons why I said earlier that:

And that's also why you fail on your own terms when you declare that France has the best healthcare system in the world whilst simultaneously acknowledging that satisfaction with healthcare is a subjective thing. What does "best" mean if it doesn't mean best for those who use that service?

So it's still better than any other measure I can think of (certainly much better than the standards of measure you used to come up with French healthcare being the best in the world).

Also yes I agree that American healthcare is expensive. Now, THAT is an objective measure.

From reading your post, all I have established is that the Americans pay more for healthcare relative to the French (they pay more for healthcare than anybody else in the world actually). And I already knew that.

And yes I'm familiar with the programme you're talking about but as you see there are objections to it and as with life expectancy it doesn't take into account other factors which influence school performance greatly (America being a land of immigrants, for example, is of course going to score much lower than Finland which takes in 1 poor immigrant per year). They don't control for any factor, they simply take tests.

So all I'm saying is that people should tone it down with international comparisons. There are so many variables at play and it's very difficult to know things like which country has the "best" healthcare or the "best" education.

http://www.who.int/whr/2000/media_centre/press_release/en/
http://www.who.int/whr/2000/en/whr00_en.pdf

I think those guy know what they talk about.

They pay more for a second rate health care system which most Western European will not judge acceptable, that's all.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 59
This anti-Americanism is a default setting in Britain it seems. People see a few McDonalds and KFCs and think that the fabled quaint British way of life is under threat (which, actually, will have started its decline since at least the end of the First World War). America is responsible for none of Britain's problems, none at all, and helped to cheer up its miserable populace with its entertainment, especially its movies.

Britain is actually more 'vulgar' than the USA because the USA never claimed to be a 'cut above' intellectually. It is comfortable even laughing about the matter - George W Bush, a much smarter person that most people realise - took the mickey out of himself. Britain, far more damagingly, laughs at its own incompetence- it doesn't realise how small-minded it is (and that includes the older generations who do not have the wisdom to see that their own complacency, lethargy and small mindedness has resulted in the current state of the worst of Britain).

Britain perversely chooses to see its own weaknesses as its strengths - its general lack of faith in a higher being has trickled down to a general dismissal of authority, no matter how sound that authority is, in general.

Oscar Wilde said 'People say sometimes that Beauty is superficial. That may be so. But at least it is not so superficial as Thought is. To me, Beauty is the wonder of wonders. It is only shallow people who do not judge by appearances. The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible'. That epitomises the British attitude to America to me. Britons like to see America as the superficial, the false 'have a nice day' (prefer the glum, sarcastic, hung over British look do you?). They like to see Britain as 'authentic' even though much of its authenticity now only exists in its museums.

My conclusion is that there is more realness in supposedly superficial America.

Latest

Trending

Trending