The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Come on, America have to have SOMETHING to brag about, and it can't be their lack of xenophobia, their free healthcare, their human rights record, their gun control laws, their crime rates, the fact that they're part of China, their obesity levels, their waste culture or their fundementalism, so we should allow them the opportunity to boast about how there are indeed, some rich Americans.
Original post by Shadowplay
I don't think there's much to see in America in terms of history.

Too right, not like there is the Liberty Bell or any of the American Revolutionary War (War of Independence) and Civil War sites to visit... the resting place of Elvis or the Government power house that is Washington D.C. that has a lot of politicially history... you obviously have never set foot on American soil.

(Look at me defending America :eek:).
Original post by Made in the USA
History is just one of many reasons to travel. I personally think a city like new york has more to do in terms of culture (Broadway, comedy, museums, exotic cuisine from all over the world) than a sh1thole like athens, greece. Sure, they've got the Acropolis, but the rest of it is a complete armpit.

Once you've seen one big city, and they're all very similar (they each have their own quirks, but that's it), you've done it.
People in general want to travel to see history, different cultures, scenery, etc.
USA has the scenery, but it doesn't have different histories or a wealth of different cultures to visit.
Greece is a beautiful. It has a lot more then just the Acropolis, and I think it's quite ignorant for you to think so. There's some stunning places in Greece (not just the islands either); there is also some beautiful cultural things to see in countries like that.

But aside from that, I want to give my say on the original question.
You can't judge an entire continent, with 50 different countries (each with very diverse cultures, history and wealth) on one place you've visited.
Actually, quality of life is actually a lot better in a lot of western European countries than in America, and considering the USA is in the most colosal amount of debt, I wouldn't say we could be jealous.
The USA has its poor areas just like anywhere else.
:smile:
Original post by LysFromParis
Compare city like Paris, London, Barcelona, Berlin, Vienna, Roma etc. with an American city and you'll understand.

Okay... so Cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco (I like San Francisco a lot as they actually care about what their residents health, no McDonalds for me thank you!) cannot compare to them? sheesh sounds like you too have not been to America.
History is just one of many reasons to travel. I personally think a city like new york has more to do in terms of culture (Broadway, comedy, museums, exotic cuisine from all over the world) than a sh1thole like athens, greece. Sure, they've got the Acropolis, but the rest of it is a complete armpit.

I can't believe you just called one of the most historic and cultural cities in the world a "sh1thole".

:nothing:
Original post by tehFrance
Okay... so Cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco (I like San Francisco a lot as they actually care about what their residents health, no McDonalds for me thank you!) cannot compare to them? sheesh sounds like you too have not been to America.

Some of those cities are lovely, but they're not the same.
It depends what you like. I guess if you've grown up in America, and just don't HAVE history to the extent that there is in Europe, then you wouldn't know what you're missing.
It comes down to preference.

But for me... If I want to see a city, I will go to a European one. Because it has everything that American cities have (generally speaking), plus so beautiful history and heritage to see.

you seem like a douche. iv been to the middle east and america, and loved them both for different reasons.

also, you said something somewhere about womens rights? LOL they have to pay for abortions in america :L
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Once you've seen one big city, and they're all very similar (they each have their own quirks, but that's it), you've done it.
People in general want to travel to see history, different cultures, scenery, etc.
USA has the scenery, but it doesn't have different histories or a wealth of different cultures to visit.
Greece is a beautiful. It has a lot more then just the Acropolis, and I think it's quite ignorant for you to think so. There's some stunning places in Greece (not just the islands either); there is also some beautiful cultural things to see in countries like that.

But aside from that, I want to give my say on the original question.
You can't judge an entire continent, with 50 different countries (each with very diverse cultures, history and wealth) on one place you've visited.
Actually, quality of life is actually a lot better in a lot of western European countries than in America, and considering the USA is in the most colosal amount of debt, I wouldn't say we could be jealous.
The USA has its poor areas just like anywhere else.
:smile:

Greece isn't the only foreign city I've been to. I've been to London several times as well and I've been to several cities in Latin America.
I reject this notion that you need to have a history going back thousands of years to have a proper tourist destination. 40 million people go to Las Vegas every year, yet it probably has one of the shortest histories of any tourist destination. The last time I was in Vegas, I was so busy with activities I didn't even have time to gamble.

Getting back to the point of the thread my experience has been, from traveling all over western europe, is that Europeans have a lot less disposable income than than Americans do. If you count TVs, phones, microwave ovens, cars or personal computers per person, you'll find that the numbers are far higher in the US than anywhere in europe. Cars are extremely expensive and so is fuel in europe, so everyone drives a small, uncomfortable, underpowered, poorly equipped vehicle that no American would ever be caught dead in.

The GDP per capita figures show when you compare things state by state, France would be the 47th poorest state and UK would be the 45th poorest state.

Greece isn't the only foreign city I've been to. I've been to London several times as well and I've been to several cities in Latin America.
I reject this notion that you need to have a history going back thousands of years to have a proper tourist destination. 40 million people go to Las Vegas every year, yet it probably has one of the shortest histories of any tourist destination. The last time I was in Vegas, I was so busy with activities I didn't even have time to gamble.

Getting back to the point of the thread my experience has been, from traveling all over western europe, is that Europeans have a lot less disposable income than than Americans do. If you count TVs, phones, microwave ovens, cars or personal computers per person, you'll find that the numbers are far higher in the US than anywhere in europe. Cars are extremely expensive and so is fuel in europe, so everyone drives a small, uncomfortable, underpowered, poorly equipped vehicle that no American would ever be caught dead in.

The GDP per capita figures show when you compare things state by state, France would be the 47th poorest state and UK would be the 45th poorest state.

But how many of those visitors to Las Vegas are americans? A lot.
See my previous point about having grown up in the USA away from the extensive history we have, and so don't value it as much (in general).

Looking at those figures doesn't really prove much... Most people here DON'T drive uncomfortable or bad cars. Europeans cars are built a hell of a lot better than American.
and, you're generalising our wealth, when there are 50 different countries in Europe, all completely different.
Seriously, the average American does not have more money than people in my country, and if they do it's really not by a lot.
Have a look at the stats for "quality of living". Places like Norway and Sweden top it right off.
Too right, not like there is the Liberty Bell or any of the American Revolutionary War (War of Independence) and Civil War sites to visit... the resting place of Elvis or the Government power house that is Washington D.C. that has a lot of politicially history... you obviously have never set foot on American soil.

(Look at me defending America :eek:).

Yeah, and everything has to do with modern American political history.There are presidential palaces in Europe too, and millions of war sites to visit (you can choose your war, be it World war 1, world war 2, english-french war, balkan wars, punic wars, Roman wars, Ancient Greek wars ) I don't think you understand. America has a lot of things, yeah, but Europe has all those things x 1 000 000. And America is just one single culture, while in Europe you travel 200km and you're in a different culture, different language, different stuff in the shops, different looking people, different mentality, different food. Which is everything your normal backpacker wants, to experience a different culture.

And considering you, Made in the USA, called Athens an "armpit" (the cradle of the modern civilization, democracy and all that stuff you soooo love in America) I don't think YOU have a clue about the world. But, you're an American and obviously very patriotic if even your name deals with USA, so it's probably emotions clouding your judgement.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by janco
I suppose this is the reason that Monte Carlans were desperate to show off; to kid themselves that they have life as we do in the States. Do you agree?

Hell yeah.
Are you serious?!!
THis is Monaco, its far from an average european country...
Original post by Luceria
I hope whoever made those doesn't think Norway is a member of the EU.

It's part of the EEA so I suppose it can be counted as part of the EU for these purposes.
Reply 92
Funny.
Original post by janco
I've only lived in Europe for a year due to my mother's stupid job, but on a recent trip to Monaco, I noticed how desperate people were to display their 'wealth'. All of the women were wearing fur coats, and the men thought they were all it because they wore Rolex watches. I was in the mood for a burger and bought one from a street vendor, and he proceeded to get a plate with a knife and fork and serve it under a sun-umbrella. I was enjoying it until I saw the bill and it was 15 euros for the burger and a bit of salad. It just struck me as so pretensious and ostentatious. To me, as an American, I've always been used to being surrounded by wealth but not having to brag about it like Europeans do. I suppose this is the reason that Monte Carlans were desperate to show off; to kid themselves that they have life as we do in the States. Do you agree?

what american wealth? why would we be jealous?

the American system only seems to have either the poor or the mega rich, never in between. we europeans have a middle class.
Reply 94
More Americans still find the time to travel to Europe than the other way around. Only something like 2.5 percent of Europeans have ever been to the USA, which is an astonishingly low number.

I'm a European and I've been to america, It was okay i suppose but the food was appaling and the whole style of it (clothes, attitudes, cities) was stuck in the 1980s
Reply 95
It's part of the EEA so I suppose it can be counted as part of the EU for these purposes.

The EEA is NOT the same as the EU and so Norway should never be counted as part of the EU for any purposes!
Reply 96
Original post by Muscovite
The EEA is NOT the same as the EU and so Norway should never be counted as part of the EU for any purposes!

Agreed. Though most seem to assume that if a country is in Europe, it must be a member of the E.U. Which is a little annoying.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Muscovite

I know that, I was just sayin.... forget it.
Reply 98
Original post by Luceria
Agreed. Though most seem to assume that if a country is in Europe, it must be a member of the E.U. Which is a little annoying.

I know, a colleague of mine was amazed that even though Switzerland is in the heart of Europe, it is not a member of the EU. EU isn't the same as European :wink:

Look at those wealthy americans.

Latest

Trending

Trending