Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Israel-Palestine Conflict Mk.III

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    The part beginning 8'45" is probably more apposite.
    I'm sorry, I still don't get the connection, you may need to spell it out.

Perhaps you misunderstood my original point.

Wait, are you accusing the anti-Israel people of being like UKIP, opposing the new arrivals of Jews?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    I'm sorry, I still don't get the connection, you may need to spell it out.

Perhaps you misunderstood my original point.
    It was more in relation to your sparring partner, whose geopolitical memory appears to span an arbitrary time-frame of no more than a hundred years, prior to which one can only surmise that all territorial claims would have been mandated, sanctioned and ratified by God himself. I felt that Stewart Lee's reductio ad absurdum served rather concisely to illustrate why such a stance (e.g. regarding Israel with respect to the Middle East) must be considered laughably hypocritical.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    It was more in relation to your sparring partner, whose geopolitical memory appears to span an arbitrary time-frame of no more than a hundred years, prior to which one can only surmise that all territorial claims would have been mandated, sanctioned and ratified by God himself. I felt that Stewart Lee's reductio ad absurdum served rather concisely to illustrate why such a stance (e.g. regarding Israel with respect to the Middle East) must be considered laughably hypocritical.
    Right, so just to clarify... you're on my side?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    What a fantastic democratic country Israel is. A country where Black women were given birth control without their knowledge or consent (as per secret government policy), a country where a minister openly called for a holocaust to be inflicted upon Palestinians, a country where the interior minister called for Gaza to be sent back to the Middle Ages via aerial bombardment, a country where in certain areas buses are segregated by race etc

(Original post by felamaslen)
    Do you not understand the meaning of the word "comparison"? Did I claim Israel was perfect?
    You don't even need to bring comparison into it, since the above rant is almost total bull****.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish)
    You don't even need to bring comparison into it, since the above rant is almost total bull****.
    Lol do your research. Everything I mentioned in that post is factually correct.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    as a previous poster mentioned ( and the OP curiously forgot to mention :rofl: ) the "gun" is a water cannon. a big water pistol if you like.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    Lol do your research. Everything I mentioned in that post is factually correct.
    Hardly. It is a mixture of outright lies, distortions, and half-truths. For example, the suggestion that there are racially-segregated buses in Israel is an outright lie. The birth-control accusation is a serious distortion, as per the link below. Meanwhile, the accusation that a minister called for a 'holocaust' is a distortion on a number of levels, mainly based around deliberate mistranslation of the Hebrew terms. If you want a near-perfect comparison it would be as if someone in Norther Ireland said "there will be trouble" and it was reported that he "threatened to restart the Troubles." There is more, but this is a neat showcase of some of the lies and distortions involved.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/br...ol-injections/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hardly. It is a mixture of outright lies, distortions, and half-truths. For example, the suggestion that there are racially-segregated buses in Israel is an outright lie. The birth-control accusation is a serious distortion, as per the link below. Meanwhile, the accusation that a minister called for a 'holocaust' is a distortion on a number of levels, mainly based around deliberate mistranslation of the Hebrew terms. If you want a near-perfect comparison it would be as if someone in Norther Ireland said "there will be trouble" and it was reported that he "threatened to restart the Troubles." There is more, but this is a neat showcase of some of the lies and distortions involved.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/br...ol-injections/

About six weeks ago, on an Educational Television program journalist Gal Gabbay revealed the results of interviews with 35 Ethiopian immigrants. The women’s testimony could help explain the almost 50-percent decline over the past 10 years in the birth rate of Israel’s Ethiopian community. According to the program, while the women were still in transit camps in Ethiopia they were sometimes intimidated or threatened into taking the injection. “They told us they are inoculations,” said one of the women interviewed. “They told us people who frequently give birth suffer. We took it every three months. We said we didn’t want to.”
    Source: http://www.haaretz.com/news/national...emium-1.496519

Regarding the racial segregation:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...gregation.html

The Israeli interior minister said:

On 17 November 2012, Yishai stated about Israel's Operation Pillar of Defense in Gaza: "The goal of the operation is to send Gaza back to the Middle Ages. Only then will Israel be calm for forty years." He also was quoted as saying “We must blow Gaza back to the Middle Ages, destroying all the infrastructure including roads and water.”
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Did you not notice that it was Haaretz itself that later went on to reveal how the story had been distorted?

(Original post by GPODT)
    (Original post by GPODT)
    Regarding the racial segregation:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...gregation.html
    And you should probably actually read this article. Nowhere is there anything approaching 'racial segregation,' which you would know if you read beyond the headline.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    And you should probably actually read this article. Nowhere is there anything approaching 'racial segregation,' which you would know if you read beyond the headline.
    What do YOU call the separation of Arabs and Jews on public transport?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    Except that's not what it is. The division on this one specific bus line (as much as there is any division, since it's not actually legally mandated), is not between Arabs and Jews, but between Palestinian Authority residents coming into Israel to work, and Israelis, which includes the 1.5 million Arabs with Israeli ID cards, among myriad others. This is 'racial segregation' in the same way that making EU and non EU passport holders go through separate lines when coming into Heathrow is 'racial segregation,' i.e. it's not.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    I'd call it you being dishonest.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 22, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.