The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester Grade Requirements - UCAS

Hi i've applied to leicester for a BSc in Business Economics. They accept and offered ABB but for a BA instead because i don't have an A level in maths. I really want to go here and would really prefer to do the BSc. I got an A at GCSE and maths was always a really strong area of mine, i've regretted not taking it in college. If I write to them and offer to do supplimentary maths courses and explain. Would it be possible for them to reconsider. Also, I'm studying Economics this year and am predicted an A
Reply 1
Original post by sickojoe
Hi i've applied to leicester for a BSc in Business Economics. They accept and offered ABB but for a BA instead because i don't have an A level in maths. I really want to go here and would really prefer to do the BSc. I got an A at GCSE and maths was always a really strong area of mine, i've regretted not taking it in college. If I write to them and offer to do supplimentary maths courses and explain. Would it be possible for them to reconsider. Also, I'm studying Economics this year and am predicted an A
I think you need to consider why it is you are so set on the BSc? There may be opportunities to switch programme after you start, but if this is the uni you really want to go to anyway, you may have to compromise on the specific course. I doubt that they will reconsider your offer at this stage, but there's nothing to stop you from asking, as long as you are clear about why the BSc rather than the BA is so important to you.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
It is likely that the Bsc course has modules that build on work done in AS/A2 Maths meaning regardless of how good you happened to be at GCSE Maths, you just don't have the knowledge to survive on the course as you've missed everything in the last 2 years. It doesn't matter that you've always been good at maths as if they have a basic level of knowledge required to enter the course, which is people that have a B or higher at A level Maths then you'd struggle because you're not qualified for the course. Its like someone saying that they were really good at maths in KS3 and got a good SATs result, so please can they do the A level without having studied the GCSE course. Maths is the sort of subject where you need to have learnt A before you can learn B.

You're pretty lucky that they haven't just straight rejected you. Its clearly stated in their entry requirements that applicants for the Bsc course MUST have A level Maths at grade A*, A or B. The BA, on the other hand, only wants a B at GSCE so even if you'd taken AS Maths to build on your GCSE knowledge, you still wouldn't have met their entry requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending