The Student Room Group

Female guitar teachers

Has anyone ever had guitar lessons with a female teacher?

They all seem to be male.

I'm thinking of starting guitar lessons and I've decided that if I'm going to pay for them, I might as well have them in the company of a woman. There must be at least one cool emo-type chick out there who teaches guitar?

Scroll to see replies

The question is, what allows you to choose a woman over a man? I know talented guitarists of both sexes, what non-sexist reason can you give for choosing a female over a perfectly capable male? (or vice versa)
The first (and only) guitar teacher I had was female.

She was definitely not a 'cool emo-type chick.' She must've been about 50.
Original post by Earl Nuce
The first (and only) guitar teacher I had was female.

She was definitely not a 'cool emo-type chick.' She must've been about 50.

She wasn't called Mrs Badcrumble by any chance?
Original post by ThisIsAPseudonym
The question is, what allows you to choose a woman over a man? I know talented guitarists of both sexes, what non-sexist reason can you give for choosing a female over a perfectly capable male? (or vice versa)

i had a female drum teacher and driving instutor ..... the reason why i wanted a female over a male? ........ because i generally feel more comfortable in the presence of a women and when learning something i will be more at ease in their company ......its not a sexist thing
Reply 5

I rarely get to spend time with the fairer sex. My flatmates are all male, and so are all my friends. I think I'd just prefer a woman to teach me. Maybe, I don't know, someone who is 32 years old with dyed black/highlighted hair, has a nose piercing and maybe one or two tasteful tattoos? She would dress below her age - trainers and jeans, perhaps - and would have a cute smile and innocent laugh. Green eyes would be cool, too. And she would, of course, feel comfortable in the presence of a younger guy.

I'm not giving this too much thought in any way.
Reply 6
Are you looking for a guitar teacher or someone to pull?
Original post by tweety_2479
i had a female drum teacher and driving instutor ..... the reason why i wanted a female over a male? ........ because i generally feel more comfortable in the presence of a women and when learning something i will be more at ease in their company ......its not a sexist thing

Actually that's the very definition of sexism, discrimination based on a person's sex.

I would say I've had some very good and very bad teachers of both sexes. The sex of a person doesn't matter, it's their personality that makes the difference.

---

Original post by lovely_me

It does sound like he's heading in that direction at times...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by lovely_me

I'm insulted.

I'm after a professional relationship and nothing more. Someone who will help me improve my fingering technique, etc.
Original post by Teveth
I'm insulted.

I'm after a professional relationship and nothing more. Someone who will help me improve my fingering technique, etc.

now, see, it's statements like that that can give a girl the wrong idea...
Actually that's the very definition of sexism, discrimination based on a person's sex.

I would say I've had some very good and very bad teachers of both sexes. The sex of a person doesn't matter, it's their personality that makes the difference.

are you being serious ? your accuse me of discrimination and sexism when my initial thoughts when chossing an female teacher where a bit more innocent than that. the female drum teacher was offered by the school, so should they be accused of discrimination as well ? I wasn't purposely looking for a female teaher but since they offered it i took it.

this is a bit off point but my driving school also specifically has female teachers for femlaes who won't to learn with one (or males). Reason being is that peope learn better when their comfortable with the person teaching them, it may a nerve wracking thing for people as it was for me (don't ask why). I'm quite a shy person and i talk to girls and guys but overally i just generally feel more comfortable talking to girls. There is really nothing bad in it so i was quite offended when you've accused me of discrimination and sexism
are you being serious ? your accuse me of discrimination and sexism when my initial thoughts when chossing an female teacher where a bit more innocent than that. the female drum teacher was offered by the school, so should they be accused of discrimination as well ? I wasn't purposely looking for a female teaher but since they offered it i took it.

this is a bit off point but my driving school also specifically has female teachers for femlaes who won't to learn with one (or males). Reason being is that peope learn better when their comfortable with the person teaching them, it may a nerve wracking thing for people as it was for me (don't ask why). I'm quite a shy person and i talk to girls and guys but overally i just generally feel more comfortable talking to girls. There is really nothing bad in it so i was quite offended when you've accused me of discrimination and sexism

Hey, I never said you shouldn't do it for those reasons, and yes if you didnt choose the drum teacher then you cant have been acting in a sexist manner that time since you didnt make a choice.

And yes I understand some people learn better with someone of their own / the opposite sex, but that is still being sexist. the trouble is society has raised you to believe that it's always BAD to make a sexist decision. Whether that's true or not is debatable, but when you choose someone over someone else primarily or partially due to their sex, you are being sexist. The trouble is people associate that word with such hugely negative connotations they simply can't fathom its use in lesser circumstances. So no, im not accusing you of anything, im simply stating that you action was sexist. it's no different to if you decided to choose a blue instructor over a green one, you would be racist. (ive used blue and green because whichever ethnicities I chose for that metaphor, some people would have been upset)

I'm also interested to know what your views on transgender people would be. Would you view a pre-op male to female as male? Their own view is that they are female and in the wrong body.

man you're a fucking dumbass. everybody on this forum tries to read racism/homophobia/sexism out of posts just to try to sound intelligent or to try to put other people down. fuck's sake kid the TS just wants to pretend to look at her strumming technique so he can stare at her boobs. there's nothing sexist about that at all. you jack off to other women but not to men -- that is so sexist and i am taking offence because i'm not a woman!!!
Hey, I never said you shouldn't do it for those reasons, and yes if you didnt choose the drum teacher then you cant have been acting in a sexist manner that time since you didnt make a choice.

And yes I understand some people learn better with someone of their own / the opposite sex, but that is still being sexist. the trouble is society has raised you to believe that it's always BAD to make a sexist decision. Whether that's true or not is debatable, but when you choose someone over someone else primarily or partially due to their sex, you are being sexist. The trouble is people associate that word with such hugely negative connotations they simply can't fathom its use in lesser circumstances. So no, im not accusing you of anything, im simply stating that you action was sexist. it's no different to if you decided to choose a blue instructor over a green one, you would be racist. (ive used blue and green because whichever ethnicities I chose for that metaphor, some people would have been upset)

I'm also interested to know what your views on transgender people would be. Would you view a pre-op male to female as male? Their own view is that they are female and in the wrong body.

ok your starting to grate on me ........

I do not discriminate anyone !!
ok your starting to grate on me ........

I do not discriminate anyone !!

yes you do. discrimination is the act of choosing one thing over another based on a difference in a common quality.

for example if one person has a degree and another doesn't and you hire the one with the degree because they have it, you are discriminating on the grounds of educational background.

discrimination is neither bad nor good on its own.
discrimination is not the same as sexism.
even if the TS chose the blue instructor over the green because the blue studied at the royal conservatory of the hague you'd still find a way to call that racist :rolleyes:
Original post by nick__s
discrimination is not the same as sexism.
even if the TS chose the blue instructor over the green because the blue studied at the royal conservatory of the hague you'd still find a way to call that racist :rolleyes:

congratulations on entirely missing the point. it's only racist if they were chosen BECAUSE of their colour. If colour is an incidental aspect, then it's not racist.

for comparison, if the above poster had said they chose their driving instructor (who happened to be female) because they were easier to talk to, then that would be fine. but if they said they chose them because they were female, and they find females easier to talk to, that would be sexist. It's stereotyping a group of people (in this case females) and implying they are always easier to talk to than EVERY male.
Reply 17
How the hell did this turn into a thread about racism?

There are few things more attractive than a girl with a guitar. I wish you luck, Teveth.
Original post by Potiron
How the hell did this turn into a thread about racism?

There are few things more attractive than a girl with a guitar. I wish you luck, Teveth.

My fault, I think. I seem to be good at taking things off-topic.
congratulations on entirely missing the point. it's only racist if they were chosen BECAUSE of their colour. If colour is an incidental aspect, then it's not racist.

for comparison, if the above poster had said they chose their driving instructor (who happened to be female) because they were easier to talk to, then that would be fine. but if they said they chose them because they were female, and they find females easier to talk to, that would be sexist. It's stereotyping a group of people (in this case females) and implying they are always easier to talk to than EVERY male.

lol! congratulations on missing MY point

you're getting yourself into a muddle. the thing about posting on a forum is that people can infer things differently from everybody else (subject in question being YOU). sexism is derogatory, no? what about the OP can you read that is derogatory to men? if you say that you find women easier to talk to than men you are not implying anything whatsoever. you are SAYING what would otherwise be implied if you had said something like "i'm not comfortable around men". borderline sexism would be "men are all difficult to talk to" and that is in no shape or form insinuated by the TS.
we all interpret stuff in different ways but right now you're totally BS-ing all over the place. i'll settle that, to an extent, you could read the OP as being slightly generalised but ... sexism? really? pahaha.

Quick Reply

Latest