The Student Room Group

Deafness and DSA

Before starting at university I will get a ed psych report to detail my dyslexia but who do I ask to comment on my deafness in order to apply for DSA. I mentioned this to my ENT consultant and audiologist and they said they didn't know and had never been asked before. What have other deaf students done?
were you not statemented at school for deafness?
Reply 2
No as at a private school.
You were still entitled to an assessment. Now you are going to have to fork out for an assessment of your condition privately.
Reply 4
But thats the point an assessment by whom as I don't have a teacher of the deaf or similiar. Who did your assessment?
I was statemented from the age of 5.
Original post by kaz65
Before starting at university I will get a ed psych report to detail my dyslexia but who do I ask to comment on my deafness in order to apply for DSA. I mentioned this to my ENT consultant and audiologist and they said they didn't know and had never been asked before. What have other deaf students done?
The system in Scotland is a slightly different but basically:

First off, get your ENT consultant/audiologist to write a letter to confirm the extent of your hearing loss - it's a physical disability so there shouldn't be any need for education psychologists. They almost certainly write similar letters for people applying for a Disabled Rail Card and other circumstances that require confirmation of hearing loss. If in any doubt, go back and ask your school how they handled this.

Secondly, contact the disability office at your university - the sooner the better. They should talk you though what is on offer (notetakers, accommodation adaptions and various other reasonable adjustments that the university makes without recourse to DSA). They might need to bring in someone independent to verify their assessment but there shouldn't be any dispute and I can't see why you'd need to pay for this assessment (the university should either cover it as part of making reasonable adjustments or claim on your DSA).

Quick Reply

Latest