The Student Room Group
n3il
the standard degree for pharmacy is the Mpharm. but is there any further education/degree to this i.e to obtain a Phd in pharmacy? or would this be pointless?

Pointless.
The majority of people with an MPharm will do their pre-reg year and go into hopsital or community pharmacy, but you could do a Phd in something else and go into research.
I don't think you can strictly speaking do a Phd in pharmacy, but you can in one of the areas -health and medicines, med chem, drug delivery, pharmacology etc.

You can also do postgraduate diplomas in clinical pharmacy, community pharmacy, clinical research, pharmaceutical medicine etc to further your career. I think a lot of pharmacists in hospital pharmacy do some sort of diploma in clinical pharmacy to shift them up the ranks. I know WSP also does a master of clinical pharmacy too. There's probably lots more you can do as well.
mmmm, I'd be interested in doing a pHd myself after an mPharm degree in some form of pharmacy logistics or delivery or the such. If it takes too many years it would be pointless though.
Reply 4
Its mainly displomas. To get anywhere is hospital pharmacy as Emmz said you NEED a diploma to get up the ranks so to speak.

Few people choose to do a PhD after their MPharm degree, but normally those that do, are offered it because they happen to work for industry or a big company that sponsors them to do it. I think its quite rare to finish your 4th year and go straight into a PhD. Normally those opportunities arise after you have been qualified for a while I believe.
You can stay on and do further education after the degree. I know a few people who are planning to do that. It generally leads into academia, but can help in getting other jobs and means you start off further up the £ ladder.

In hospital, and community for that matter, as part of Continued Professional development, which is a mandatory ball ache now associated with pharmacy, doing a clinical diploma can sort that out and make you a better pharmacist.

Basically though, if you want to do Phd and further studies, if youre good enough, it won't be a problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending