The Student Room Group

Never had a job at 23; what will the JSA people say?

I have my interview for JSA tomorrow. I am a little nervous though. I am 23 years of age, left university in june last year with a 3rd class in economics. I have never had a job in my life. This is not down to laziness. It is down to two reasons: 1) I have never had much of a life and not needed much money, plus I make a bit on the side from a hobby of mine, so never needed a job; 2) I have still always wanted a job, but the main reason I have never had one is that I have always been too shy. I believe I have Social Anxiety Disorder or something similar.

Since leaving university I have not applied for one job. My main reason now is that who is going to employ a 23 year old with no work experience and a 3rd class degree? I had no chance of a graduate type job. I did not want to apply for a normal / non graduate job. My standards were just too high. I just do not know the exact reason though why I did not apply for a job yet. I feel embarrassed. What will the interview guy tomorrow say when he finds out I have never even bothered to apply for a job yet? It is Job Seekers Allowance. Will I even get it? Should I lie and say I have applied for some jobs but got no responses? I do not like to lie, I am not a very good liar; do not have the confidence to pull of a lie.

My original interview was for Tuesday but I called and cancelled because then nerves got the better of me. I can not cancel again. All I do is sit in all day doing nothing, watching my life waste away. I need to do something. I need a job. I have huge ambition and huge potential but it is being wasted. Every 10,000 mile journey begins with that very first step. My first step is going the dole place tomorrow.

Scroll to see replies

:facepalm2:
Reply 2
You studied economics and have never had a job? Wow guess its true that education can't teach everything.
Reply 3
There isn't much criteria to JSA.

Have to show your looking and applying, work under 16 (I think?) hours a week, and a few other random things but there is no reason why you will not get it.

I would say one thing, if you're going to sit there, lie, take my tax and not even attempt to look for a job, you do not deserve the benefits.
Reply 4
Original post by yozzo
I have my interview for JSA tomorrow. I am a little nervous though. I am 23 years of age, left university in june last year with a 3rd class in economics. I have never had a job in my life. This is not down to laziness. It is down to two reasons: 1) I have never had much of a life and not needed much money, plus I make a bit on the side from a hobby of mine, so never needed a job; 2) I have still always wanted a job, but the main reason I have never had one is that I have always been too shy. I believe I have Social Anxiety Disorder or something similar.

Since leaving university I have not applied for one job. My main reason now is that who is going to employ a 23 year old with no work experience and a 3rd class degree? I had no chance of a graduate type job. I did not want to apply for a normal / non graduate job. My standards were just too high. I just do not know the exact reason though why I did not apply for a job yet. I feel embarrassed. What will the interview guy tomorrow say when he finds out I have never even bothered to apply for a job yet? It is Job Seekers Allowance. Will I even get it? Should I lie and say I have applied for some jobs but got no responses? I do not like to lie, I am not a very good liar; do not have the confidence to pull of a lie.

My original interview was for Tuesday but I called and cancelled because then nerves got the better of me. I can not cancel again. All I do is sit in all day doing nothing, watching my life waste away. I need to do something. I need a job. I have huge ambition and huge potential but it is being wasted. Every 10,000 mile journey begins with that very first step. My first step is going the dole place tomorrow.

First of all stop cancelling. Get out of this habit now!
Second of all I think that there are probably quite a few 23 year olds with no experience due to being in education. They are not there to judge you, so shouldn't. You need to get over your nerves and can only do this by pushing yourself in the deep end. Also have some faith in yourself as employers wont believe in someone who doesn't believe in them self. You shouldn't mention that you haven't been looking by the way and if you need experience you should look around and see if you can volunteer at some places (try charities and your local mp) (if you can afford to do so travel can be costly) while you are job seeking.
Good luck don't be hard on yourself and don't be a quitter.
I wouldn't worry about it, I guess its a bit like going to the doctor - they've seen it all before.
Reply 6
You wasted 3 years at university... just to make yourself less employable...
Reply 7
You're nervous about going to a JSA interview? An interview that is - deliberately - made ridiculously simple and basic so that the people who escaped school without GCSEs can understand...?

You need to control your nerves a hell of a lot better, how the hell will you manage when you actually get a job interview?!

MTFU, seriously.
the fact you care what they think shows you're better than half of the people you'll meet in the queue at the dole office
Reply 9
Original post by stayd001
You wasted 3 years at university... just to make yourself less employable...

I did not waste it. Although all that matters is what is on paper, if I never went to university I would be dumb. I learnt a lot about how the world works at university. If I never went to university I would have been an electrician or something. Plus, I loved being a student.
Reply 10
Original post by Drewski
You're nervous about going to a JSA interview? An interview that is - deliberately - made ridiculously simple and basic so that the people who escaped school without GCSEs can understand...?

You need to control your nerves a hell of a lot better, how the hell will you manage when you actually get a job interview?!

MTFU, seriously.

I think I am in two minds whether to lie or not lie.
Original post by yozzo
My standards were just too high. I just do not know the exact reason though why I did not apply for a job yet. I feel embarrassed. What will the interview guy tomorrow say when he finds out I have never even bothered to apply for a job yet? It is Job Seekers Allowance. Will I even get it? Should I lie and say I have applied for some jobs but got no responses? I do not like to lie, I am not a very good liar; do not have the confidence to pull of a lie.

In terms of not applying for jobs pre-JSA that doesn't matter and won't stop you claiming. Once you have started your claim though you have to do at least 3 things a week to look for work, if you don't you'll have your money stopped.

Just so you know you can't just cancel signing on one week because of nerves. If you don't turn up at a specific time and date your claim can be closed unless you have a very good reason (nerves isn't one btw). Also, don't lie. JCP staff hear lies every day and are excellent lie detectors. It won't do you any good and will just annoy them that you think you can lie and get away with it.

You're also going to have to lower your job prospects for now. Someone with no experience can't expect to limit their job search to certain types of job. You'll have to start at the bottom and work your way up.
Reply 12

What does that mean?
Reply 13
What sort of questions are they going to ask me so I can prepare?
Reply 14
Original post by yozzo
I think I am in two minds whether to lie or not lie.

You've got sod all to lie about [assuming you are legally entitled to JSA, you're a British citizen and all that jazz, yes?]. So you've not been looking for work... You were under no obligation to, you've not yet been on JSA... And in 2 weeks when you go back to sign on you can say what you like, they don't really care, they'll have seen people far worse.
Reply 15
Original post by gateshipone
In terms of not applying for jobs pre-JSA that doesn't matter and won't stop you claiming. Once you have started your claim though you have to do at least 3 things a week to look for work, if you don't you'll have your money stopped.

Just so you know you can't just cancel signing on one week because of nerves. If you don't turn up at a specific time and date your claim can be closed unless you have a very good reason (nerves isn't one btw). Also, don't lie. JCP staff hear lies every day and are excellent lie detectors. It won't do you any good and will just annoy them that you think you can lie and get away with it.

You're also going to have to lower your job prospects for now. Someone with no experience can't expect to limit their job search to certain types of job. You'll have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

What will they ask me tomorrow at the interview?
Reply 16
Original post by yozzo
What does that mean?

It means, for someone who's been to university and claims to know how the world works and isn't stupid, you're being incredibly dim.
Reply 17
They are really not bothered, when I went in they were amazed to see I'd actually bothered to do a CV. I've seen some people come in who are just master bullsh*tters and barely ever bring in any evidence they've been searching for work.

I'm new by the way, so hi. Don't neg me for saying that though :tongue: :|
Reply 18
There are a hell of a lot of people in this generation of graduates who are going to find themselves in a similar position. Including plenty from this site.

Stop cancelling interviews. Don't lie. Get up early each day and keep the routine going. Take any free courses that the Jobcentre offer to improve your chances. Adjust your expectations - being a graduate does not guarantee you a graduate job. Something'll turn up.
Reply 19
Original post by Drewski
You've got sod all to lie about [assuming you are legally entitled to JSA, you're a British citizen and all that jazz, yes?]. So you've not been looking for work... You were under no obligation to, you've not yet been on JSA... And in 2 weeks when you go back to sign on you can say what you like, they don't really care, they'll have seen people far worse.

Is that true that I am only obliged to look for work once I am on JSA? You sound like you have been on JSA at some time (maybe even still on it), so what I would like to know is, what exactly are they going to ask me at the interview tomorrow?

Latest

Trending

Trending