The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by aprilterri
You can get some of your JSA back dated by the way so ask them about this.
If you have a CV you should bring one if not don't worry they'll probably refer you to someone to help you write one.

I have a CV

How long have you been out of work?

23 years

How much do you have in savings/assets?

£200

What have you been doing to look for a job?

**** all

What experience, skills and education do you have?

Listed on my CV

What type of jobs are you looking for?

Don't know
Reply 41
Original post by yozzo
Nothing wrong; I cannot slate anyone who has any job, since I have never had one myself. It just is not for me. I am far too ambitious. One life, one opportunity.

Ok, I call BS.

You aren't ambitious. If you actually are, you have the laziest way about it I've ever seen.
You're ambitious but didn't work at uni to get a good enough grade to join in with recognised graduate schemes.
You're ambitious but have no idea what you want to do.
??
Seriously?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Joinedup
I've always found them to be detached civil servants who go by the book tbh - the system's not set up to evaluate what you deserve, or your value as a human being. Just what you're entitled to under the rules.
(whether that's a good thing is another question)

They're not all like that. I think the problem is people only get to see them for 5 minutes every 2 weeks. It's hard to make a good impression in that time and still do all the things they need to get done.

The impression I had of the staff in my local office changed dramatically after I started actually working there. I know from my own personal experience that generally the staff do care and do want to help, and do so if they can. What they dislike is liars because it's just annoying to have people coming in trying to be clever.
Reply 43
Original post by bloomblaze
^silly statement in bold ^

eg did high school not teach you anything??

I got one C at GCSE level. I was always too distracted at school. I actually believe I have ADHD/ADD.

really...........? the working environment teaches you a lot about how the world works, university is very academic/theoretical

It opened my eyes up a bit. I cam from a poor state school where about 2% go to university. No one in my family ever went to university. Plus, I studied Economics; you can learn a lot about the world from economics.
Reply 44
Original post by gateshipone
Advisors don't have time to lecture people, they'll just make a note that you haven't got any experience. You have to choose 3 types of job you're looking for so that JCP staff can do a job search for you if they need to. They may ask how you've supported yourself but that'll only be to find out if you've got savings that could make your claim invalid. You have to have a decent amount though.

You have to have money in the bank? Why?
Reply 45
Original post by h82think
Job centre advisor: "Are these details correct?"
You: either yes or no, if no then you'll correct them
Job centre advisor: "Come back in 2 weeks, make sure you apply for some jobs"

NEXT!

I applied online. Will they really just go over the details with me? I have been writing two page Q & As to prepare myself for this interview.
Reply 46
They're not all like that. I think the problem is people only get to see them for 5 minutes every 2 weeks. It's hard to make a good impression in that time and still do all the things they need to get done.

The impression I had of the staff in my local office changed dramatically after I started actually working there. I know from my own personal experience that generally the staff do care and do want to help, and do so if they can. What they dislike is liars because it's just annoying to have people coming in trying to be clever.

But I never tried to be clever with them and I wouldn't recommend OP or anyone else to do so... they were quite friendly tbh. maybe they were pleased to see me cos I seemed a bit more helpable than the alco's and druggies.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Einheri

I mean you have to have a decent amount of money to make your claim invalid.
Reply 48
Advisors don't have time to lecture people, they'll just make a note that you haven't got any experience. You have to choose 3 types of job you're looking for so that JCP staff can do a job search for you if they need to. They may ask how you've supported yourself but that'll only be to find out if you've got savings that could make your claim invalid. You have to have a decent amount though.

£200 in a bank account?
Reply 49
Original post by yozzo
It opened my eyes up a bit. I cam from a poor state school where about 2% go to university. No one in my family ever went to university. Plus, I studied Economics; you can learn a lot about the world from economics.

You can. However, it distinctly appears that you did not.

Original post by Einheri

No, the post you're referring to is meaning that in order to have a claim for JSA turned down you'd have to have an obscene amount of money in your banks.
Reply 50
Original post by yozzo
I applied online. Will they really just go over the details with me? I have been writing two page Q & As to prepare myself for this interview.

You can't be for real...
Reply 51
Original post by bloomblaze
didnt university give you some idea of what type of work you want??

It did. I studied Economics which covered a wide range of subjects (accounting, business, finance, marketing, etc) and I do have an idea. However, these are graduate type jobs. Someone in my position has no hope of this type of job. Maccies, BK, Kwik Save, maybe.
Original post by yozzo

They'll confirm those details are correct, collect any that haven't already been collected and then go through what kind of work you're looking for and compile a jobseekers agreement.

I've never heard of anyone coming in after doing prep work. What could they possibly ask that you don't have an answer for?
Reply 53
Original post by Drewski
Something tells me he didn't pay that much attention...

I paid lots of attention. But, when you have ADD, SAD, OCPD, PERFECTIONISM, INSOMNIA, OCD, it is not easy to come out of university with a good degree.
Original post by yozzo
£200 in a bank account?

That's fine. It's only when you get into the thousands that it becomes an issue.
Original post by yozzo

i agree with the bit in bold.

Although trust me, you have a lot to learn about life if you havnt worked before. Things like time management, dealing with the general public, how to handle difficult people etc etc are things i learned from work.

There are many things in life that a classroom/education just cant teach
Reply 56
Original post by Drewski
Ok, I call BS.

You aren't ambitious. If you actually are, you have the laziest way about it I've ever seen.
You're ambitious but didn't work at uni to get a good enough grade to join in with recognised graduate schemes.
You're ambitious but have no idea what you want to do.
??
Seriously?

I suffer from a number of mental disorders.
Reply 57
Original post by yozzo
I paid lots of attention. But, when you have ADD, SAD, OCPD, PERFECTIONISM, INSOMNIA, OCD, it is not easy to come out of university with a good degree.

That's a good one.

Not easy, maybe, but not impossible for someone who's "far too ambitious", which is why I think you're either a wind-up merchant or actually clinically braindead.
Reply 58
Original post by Drewski
You can't be for real...

Yes. I think it is the perfectionism.
Reply 59
Original post by yozzo
I suffer from a number of mental disorders.

And you're using them as fairly feeble excuses, IMO.

Latest

Trending

Trending