The Student Room Group

Is anyone a member of the University Air Squadron?

I seriously considered i career in the RAF as a physiotherapist and one thing that was brought to my attention was that if the RAF were to sponser me through my study was that i would have to be a member of the UAS.

I was just wondering whether anyone is a member and if it is as good as it sounded to be and something that i should try and get involved in even though the RAF isn't on the cards for me anymore as a career path because i've changed my course to English.
Reply 1
Original post by PattersonL
I was just wondering whether anyone is a member and if it is as good as it sounded to be and something that i should try and get involved in even though the RAF isn't on the cards for me anymore as a career path because i've changed my course to English.

Why'd you say that? Just because you wouldn't join as a Physio doesn't mean any of the other 70-odd jobs are also closed...?

Either way, yes. Join. It's pretty much the best uni soc/club you can involved in. It's highly selective, for obvious reasons but that's no reason to put you off.
Reply 2
There are other reasons for not joining the RAF like being brought in a forces and home and having my heart broken everytime my dad was sent away. I've come to realise that it's not the right choice for me but i don't want to lose all the life experiences it can give you. UAS comes across as a good inbetween.
Reply 3
Well then, you already know what you want to do.
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski

Original post by Drewski
Well then, you already know what you want to do.

I just wanted to make sure people really got something out of it and was worthwhile. It looked good on paper but then again a lot of things do that necessarily aren't.
Reply 5
Original post by PattersonL
I just wanted to make sure people really got something out of it and was worthwhile. It looked good on paper but then again a lot of things do that necessarily aren't.

Depends how you define 'getting something out of it'.

If you want to have lots of fun, do all manner of sports, socials, activities, expeditions, have a much wider circle of friends, become a member of the RAFVR and earn a little bit of money at the same time, then it seems like a pretty decent option. Of course, you only get out what you put in, it's not served up on a plate for you.

How could you not get something out of it?
Reply 6
It;s a great opertunity for all students as drew says it his highly selective for obvious reasons but it is certainly worthwhile from my experience :smile:
Reply 7
Highly selective???? Pipe down all of you! Its a social club which uses taxpayers money to subsidise all manner of parties! The selection is for a male: Be good at some kind of sport. For Female: Be good looking. It is as simple as that and don't let any UAS Biffs tell you otherwise!!!

Mr. Vice!
Reply 8
Also, do not wear your flying suit to the bar like you own the place. It annoys people, big time!

Mr. Vice
Reply 9
Original post by Mr. Vice
Highly selective???? Pipe down all of you! Its a social club which uses taxpayers money to subsidise all manner of parties! The selection is for a male: Be good at some kind of sport. For Female: Be good looking. It is as simple as that and don't let any UAS Biffs tell you otherwise!!!

Mr. Vice!

I'd say a selection process that, for a university club, involves 1 formal and 1 informal interview and narrows a field from, often, in excess of 400 to around 30 as fairly selective. It's no AACC, we all know, but considering the university alternative is "hand over the money and you're in", I think we can get away with it.

Any more patronising remarks?
Reply 10
Got to love a bit of UAS Bashing!

Vicey.
Reply 11
Aka trolling and looking massively unprofessional. But heyho, whatever floats your boat.

[I will, however, second the remark about the flying suits in the bar... unless you're at Woodvale then you're the only people there and you can get away with being a bit more precious]
Reply 12
Fair point.

Not really unprofessional though, the UAS on the other hand, very unprofessional!
Reply 13
Fair point.

Not really unprofessional though, the UAS on the other hand, very unprofessional!

Scattered with a few studes who want to try their best and put a fair amount of effort in.
Reply 14
Fair point!

Mr. Vice

Mr. Vice!

You are a total phallus
Reply 16
I may indeed be a "Phallus" but without justification your accusations are pathetic. You may care to expand on your comments?

Mr. Vice
I may indeed be a "Phallus" but without justification your accusations are pathetic. You may care to expand on your comments?

Mr. Vice

You're exagerrating the unprofessionalism of the UAS. You may be doing it as a joke, but people here might not get that, and judge the UAS accordingly.

Quick Reply

Latest