Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Apple conference - March 2nd - Ipad 2???

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    Ahh Why don't they do student discount on iPads?
    I'm not sure, but I'm not technically a student at the moment so I can't get that anyway haha. Plus it's no higher than that with student discount so I'm not losing out [=
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    They both have 1GHz dual core processors, and we don't even know the RAM yet.
    iPads go even cheaper than the Xoom, the 32GB Wifi models are identically priced, and the 32GB 3G iPad 2 is $70 cheaper than the Xoom equivalent. The Xoom has literally no price advantage.
    Aside from Android OS and expandable memory, I can't see anything in the Xoom that the iPad doesn't have.

EDIT: For anybody who's interested, the keynote is now available to watch:
    http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html
    720p display,SD cards, USB, non VGA cameras, not locked to iTunes. All bonus features and worth it tbh.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    iPad 1's are going for £312 at Currys and Comet lol Grab them while you can.

I'd only consider one around the £200 mark. No flash makes it almost worthless to me for surfing the net. I don't want to have to reach for my laptop, ever.

(Original post by Repressor)
    720p display,SD cards, USB, non VGA cameras, not locked to iTunes. All bonus features and worth it tbh.
    And DLNA, Flash (this is a big one imo, unforgiveable on a tablet).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)

I'd only consider one around the £200 mark. No flash makes it almost worthless to me for surfing the net. I don't want to have to reach for my laptop, ever.
    Referb ones on apple for £289
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:

And DLNA, Flash (this is a big one imo, unforgiveable on a tablet).
    Yep the no flash kind of puts it right out of my line of sight, I only want to go for my Laptop to do heavy typing or something that is keyboard intensive. However I can't see them adding flash anytime soon.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    Referb ones on apple for £289
    £30 odd extra for brand spanking new is excellent imo.

The funny thing is, the upgrade is minor. The iPad 1 is relatively good value.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They look more attractive to me. The iPad 2 is barely an upgrade if at all. Sales don't equate to better product. Honeycombe tablets will flood the market soon enough. I'm sorry, but a tablet that can't run flash is absolutely pathetic-- how can you surf the net? It's acceptable on a smartphone but not on a tablet.

Not to mention lack of USB, memory, DLNA etc. The only good thing so far is Apple have a good price point which, surprisingly, their competitors are finding difficult to beat.
    Are you sure Honeycomb will flood the market, or is that what you want to believe? Apple's pricing of the iPad 2 and the original iPad destroys the only real tablet - the Xoom - at the moment.

Have you used an iPhone or an iPad? Have you considered how the lack of Flash affects your lifestyle? I literally never use Flash. It's a lazy argument that's made by Apple haters or tout this feature as make or break. You need to wake up and realise that most users don't give a damn about Flash.

Regarding the amount of units sold, then you're wrong to suggest that 15 million units sold doesn't suggest that the product is the best on the market. If you honestly think that every consumer who bought the tablet didn't make an educated opinion, then you're naive. The fact is that the original did, and the iPad 2 will, offer a better experience for the casual consumer. The OS is more optimised than Honeycomb is at the moment, thus offer a better experience for arguably inferior hardware. This has always been the case and will likely to be the case.

And again with the lack of USB etc., and? What's your point? I keep pointing out the casual consumer because they're important. The software is the key selling point of this product. Apple dominates Google in that part. Most consumers don't care about more technical features.

Oh, and before you continue to claim that Honeycomb will dominate the market as soon as it comes to more devices: Apple has the momentum in app development. When you're developers have generated $2 billion, and have 65,000 apps in that category alone, then Honeycomb has a long while to go.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're a grandma what Johncha say is correct, iPAd will offer the better experience. But I'd like to think we were a bit more technically gifted, things like having a 4:3 aspect ratio kill the iPad for me, or the lack of flash, if this thing wants to replace a laptop I need to be able to see what a laptop can see. It offers nothing more than size for an iPhone 4, it's still just a blown up phone OS, something Apple really needs to address. Lack of widgets is even more prevalent on tablets and the bad notification system also.

This isn't to say the Xoom doesn't have problems, because it does, it need another update, it was rushed to the market which is poor and seems to be something google are doing more often (Nexus S?). It's slightly buggy and there's no flash atm. I'm personally aiming more towards the Galaxy Tab now as it looks quite impressive and I prefer the back cover, or maybe just wait to Gen 2 which I'd imagine we'd start seeing things from september/october.

If I wanted to get my gran something obviously it would be an iPAd but for me, someone that wants to be productive and is technology literate I'd be bored within days.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Unless you're a grandma what Johncha say is correct, iPAd will offer the better experience. But I'd like to think we were a bit more technically gifted, things like having a 4:3 aspect ratio kill the iPad for me, or the lack of flash, if this thing wants to replace a laptop I need to be able to see what a laptop can see. It offers nothing more than size for an iPhone 4, it's still just a blown up phone OS, something Apple really needs to address. Lack of widgets is even more prevalent on tablets and the bad notification system also.

This isn't to say the Xoom doesn't have problems, because it does, it need another update, it was rushed to the market which is poor and seems to be something google are doing more often (Nexus S?). It's slightly buggy and there's no flash atm. I'm personally aiming more towards the Galaxy Tab now as it looks quite impressive and I prefer the back cover, or maybe just wait to Gen 2 which I'd imagine we'd start seeing things from september/october.

If I wanted to get my gran something obviously it would be an iPAd but for me, someone that wants to be productive and is technology literate I'd be bored within days.
    Thats where your logic is fundamentally flawed.
    The iPad is not meant to replace the laptop.
    Steve Jobs said the conference that he (proverbially) laughs at the competitors who DO view the tablet market as a replacement for laptops, and that they are "missing a trick"

Maybe the Xoom, Playbook, Galaxy Tablet etc are laptop/netbook replacements but that is not the angle of the iPad.

Furthermore, understand that as a more advanced user of technology you may require a USB socket (for what I dont know, considering you can transfer files easily between devices with the iPad) or VGA cameras (again, for what I dont know, considering whichever phone you have will probably have a better camera anyway) and what other features you may require.

But the iPad suits the needs of the majority of the market, which is why it is the most successful tablet. And for features it doesn't have, to coin the phrase "theres an app for that" there's literally an app for... just about everything that you want.

If you want Flash that bad you can jailbreak it, and use Frash to get Flash on your iPad, for what I dont know because most websites that use Flash such as the BBC website, as an example, have a designated website which runs on the iPad coded by HTML5
    Unless you want to play Farmville on the go or something lol

I dont understand how lack of "widgets" is an issue of concern? I have widgets on my Android phone, and I dont use them for more than to quickly glance at my emails for example, but the amount of time it takes for the widget to refresh, is the same amount of time it takes to press "mail" on the iPad. Widgets are not going to be the defining feature of tablets, and will ultimately slow down performance over time - I've had my Desire for nearly a year now, and its getting really slow 'cuz all my screens have widgets on them, and i've expanded the memory from 4GB to 8GB in that time too.

Again, with literally thousands of Apps I fail to see how you'll be bored with the iPad, yet add a few laptop-like features and any other competitor fits the bill?

If you want a tablet as a mini-netbook, then I understand why you dont want an iPad.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Mammoth)
    Well, that's a pretty big overhaul but it's not really been made any less pointless. It's still just a big iPod.

I disagree. When you get your hands on one so will you.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonCha)
    Are you sure Honeycomb will flood the market, or is that what you want to believe? Apple's pricing of the iPad 2 and the original iPad destroys the only real tablet - the Xoom - at the moment.

Have you used an iPhone or an iPad? Have you considered how the lack of Flash affects your lifestyle? I literally never use Flash. It's a lazy argument that's made by Apple haters or tout this feature as make or break. You need to wake up and realise that most users don't give a damn about Flash.

Regarding the amount of units sold, then you're wrong to suggest that 15 million units sold doesn't suggest that the product is the best on the market. If you honestly think that every consumer who bought the tablet didn't make an educated opinion, then you're naive. The fact is that the original did, and the iPad 2 will, offer a better experience for the casual consumer. The OS is more optimised than Honeycomb is at the moment, thus offer a better experience for arguably inferior hardware. This has always been the case and will likely to be the case.

And again with the lack of USB etc., and? What's your point? I keep pointing out the casual consumer because they're important. The software is the key selling point of this product. Apple dominates Google in that part. Most consumers don't care about more technical features.

Oh, and before you continue to claim that Honeycomb will dominate the market as soon as it comes to more devices: Apple has the momentum in app development. When you're developers have generated $2 billion, and have 65,000 apps in that category alone, then Honeycomb has a long while to go.
    The Xoom is £435 today in Dixons. That's similar to the iPad 2.

Yes I've used an iPhone 4 plenty. You can get away with flash on that. But you can't get away with it on what is almost a laptop replacement. I couldn't live with that. One of the journalists on cnet commented how their iPad was gathering dust because often she couldn't view certain sites and had to pull out the netbook/laptop. If you have to lug around a netbook in addition, that kinda renders it useless. Imagine a netbook that couldn't run flash...it's silly and an iPad is basically a full netbook replacement.
    Also, I really don't consider USB a 'technical' feature as though it's only limited to those technically minded. It's basic and it's bloody stupid that they don't include one.

Apple was first with the iPad. Their share is gonna fall. Sales so far don't tell us much, it's too early in such a new market.

I'm not so sure about Apps either. They are not as important on a tablet as they are on a smartphone because with a great browser, all you do is use load the full sites. You don't need an app for everything. Games will be a big one though and yes Apple is well ahead on that front (I don't game myself).

Honeycomb has a long way to go. It will probably take another year until it can properly compete with Apple. I really don't think the upcoming Honeycomb will be that good. Almost everything Google releases is beta and buggy to begin with and it annoys the hell out of me.

Anyway, at the current price the iPad 1 is a good deal at £312. I wouldn't buy one though, but still a good deal.
    Also, on a sidenote, it's funny how Apple charge $40 for a lead to do HDMI out on the iPad.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Blackberry Playbook. 7" is the ideal size, it's the lightest of the bunch and has the highest pixel density of all tablets. It ticks all the boxes for me. I don't care much about apps, I just want a good web browser and video capability.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    I disagree. When you get your hands on one so will you.
    What? It is just a big iPod touch. It has the same features just it's bigger.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 5, 2011
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.