The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

American Studies

Hey all, got an offer for ABB from Sussex University on 9th November for American Studies.

Anyone else out there studying/ studied/ received an offer for this course? Or current/ former students who can share information about the university in general?

Worried about firming Sussex over my Birmingham offer though, I heard that Sussex has pretty poor funding for extra-curricular activities especially in regards to societies (probably because RG uni's receive 2/3 of the gov's funding).

And heard that Sussex nightlife isn't that great compared to Birmingham?

But plus side; Sussex kick butt when it comes to their year abroad programme - they offer more American Universities than any other University in the Uk , 40 to be precise, and not the crappy ones; ones with brilliant reputations including, California @ Berkley or IVY LEAGUE Pennsylavania.

But hey, just leaving this topic on the floor for anyone to come chat :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by lisalilsmartass
Hey all, got an offer for ABB from Sussex University on 9th November for American Studies.

Anyone else out there studying/ studied/ received an offer for this course? Or current/ former students who can share information about the university in general?

Im studying politics and american studies, i really cant wait. The year abroad scheme looks amazing! Now its just getting the grades.

How did your exams go?
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by Vinnygillan
Im studying politics and american studies, i really cant wait. The year abroad scheme looks amazing! Now its just getting the grades.

How did your exams go?

My exams went all right I think :smile:

I ended up firming Birmingham over Sussex though.

How do you think your exams went? :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by lisalilsmartass
My exams went all right I think :smile:

I ended up firming Birmingham over Sussex though.

How do you think your exams went? :biggrin:

Ohhh poo! I was excited to finally meet someone who would be on my course!
Exams were a mix, i already have an A in English lit, History went really well but politics went awful.

Hope sussex like me enough to let me in at ABC :'(
Original post by Vinnygillan
Ohhh poo! I was excited to finally meet someone who would be on my course!
Exams were a mix, i already have an A in English lit, History went really well but politics went awful.

Hope sussex like me enough to let me in at ABC :'(

we do exactly the same subjects!!! :-O

I've noticed there not a lot of people on here firming for sussex compared to bham American Studies ... it's weird ... I'm sure they'll pop up though :-)
Reply 5
One of my best friends has been doing American Studies (with History), which is pretty funny because he's from the US. The program sounds really solid, and when I visited I liked the school so much I decided to do a Postgrad degree there (Digital Media). He went to UCLA (in California) for study abroad, we drove across the US to get out there & went wandering in the New Mexico desert. And yeah, it'd make sense for Sussex to be twinned with Berkeley; I describe it to people as the British equivalent.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest