The Student Room Group

Applying to Uni

Hello everyone,

I am a current student at a FE College and am trying to apply to university.
I originally done my application through UCAS but due to reflection and issues in my family life I have had to re-consider my chocies. Most importantly, I applied to study Law but believe I would be better at History.

I have recently sent letters to various universities appealling for a chance to enter their program but they are all giving me the 'elbow' explaining I must go through UCAS.

Is there no way a university can accept me, unless I go through UCAS?

Kind regards
Reply 1
If you're prepared to move to the Midlands and study part-time, you can apply directly to Warwick, via the Centre for Lifelong Learning:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/cll/degrees/parttimedegrees/historicalstudies/

HTH
Reply 2
You pretty much have to go through UCAS.
Reply 3
Owly, I have acutally sent a letter to Warwick but have not received a receipt of confirmation.

Thank for the link! Im going to have a look now.
Reply 4
Original post by d0wnload
Owly, I have acutally sent a letter to Warwick but have not received a receipt of confirmation.

Thank for the link! Im going to have a look now.

You're welcome :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by d0wnload
Hello everyone,

I am a current student at a FE College and am trying to apply to university.
I originally done my application through UCAS but due to reflection and issues in my family life I have had to re-consider my chocies. Most importantly, I applied to study Law but believe I would be better at History.

I have recently sent letters to various universities appealling for a chance to enter their program but they are all giving me the 'elbow' explaining I must go through UCAS.

Is there no way a university can accept me, unless I go through UCAS?

Kind regards

If I've not read this incorrectly. you currently have an application for entry in 2011 for law and you wish to switch to history?

If you want to keep your current university choices but change subject, you can individually email each uni and ask if they will transfer you to a different course and accept a revised personal statement.

Alternatively, if you want to choose a different uni, you'll have to withdraw from your 5 choices and apply through Ucas Extra (again submitting an updated PS to each university that you apply to - ring them first to check if they'll allow this) or go through clearing.

Your final two options would be to take on a course such as the one at the CLL at Warwick, or reapply in the next Ucas cycle for entry in 2012.
Reply 6
You have read correctly :smile:

The thing is - I currently have a one conditional and one Uni has not got back to me yet. Its too much of a risk for me to go onto UCAS Extra when I do have a conditional to study Law, however this university does not offer History, so I cannot transfer. I have to wait until my last university replies to me and if they accept me. It will be happy days, as I will just transfer from Law.

I cannot afford to wait a year to go to university, I am 20 now and have spent two years in education (since leaving my job).

Quick Reply