The Student Room Group

'Tuna Tikka Masala': Awful things you've eaten out of sheer desperation/laziness.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Rice cooked in vegetable stock.
Ham sandwich with curry paste.
Student life is hard.
peas and ketchup makes me want to cry
"Mmm, I really fancy a cheese and ham sandwich. But what's this? The bread is mouldy? What should I do, oh great food God?!"

"You shall use the ham as bread. Spread it with chutney and wrap it around the cheese."

To be honest, it's not that awful actually...I guess it must be what people on the Atkins diet eat :s-smilie:
Reply 163
Original post by TotoMimo
Oh, another perfect example - Craving chicken noodle soup, but don't have the relevant ingredients?

Don't try a tin of Heinz spaghetti in tomato sauce, boiling water and chicken stock cubes. Yeah, and don't even make the stupid assumption that "if I dilute enough stock and water in with the spaghetti, it will eliminate the tomato sauce flavour".

I mean, who would even DO that?

*cough*

Gotta give you props for trying. Rather imaginative.

I'd contribute to this thread, but I'm not really adventurous with my food. And I don't go to university until September, so I haven't been forced to fend for myself (for longer than a month) yet.
Ritz biscuits dipped in tabasco sauce. In the back (communal) garden while doing that week's reading. And then accidentally dropping the bottle (yes I brought it out with me) and there being a large pile of smelly sauce and broken glass which took forever to clean up, and the remainder of the sauce could only be disposed of by flooding the area with months old rainwater from an old barbecue. They must have loved me in that block...
Original post by SoapyDish
"Mmm, I really fancy a cheese and ham sandwich. But what's this? The bread is mouldy? What should I do, oh great food God?!"

"You shall use the ham as bread. Spread it with chutney and wrap it around the cheese."

To be honest, it's not that awful actually...I guess it must be what people on the Atkins diet eat :s-smilie:

This sounds awesome. In fact some fast food places in the US of A actually do hamburgers "protein style" (I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's something like Five Guys or In 'n Out) where they substitute the bun for either a lettuce wrap or a cold cut (cooked meat).
Oxo cubes- just as like a drink.

But instant mash is the top. We had it on Duke of Edinburgh and it was honestly the worst thing EVER.
Original post by TotoMimo
This sounds awesome. In fact some fast food places in the US of A actually do hamburgers "protein style" (I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's something like Five Guys or In 'n Out) where they substitute the bun for either a lettuce wrap or a cold cut (cooked meat).

They do lettuce wraps in Waitrose now. It looked nice, but I don't think it would fill me up; meals without carbohydrate never tend to satisfy me :s-smilie:
Reply 168
Original post by battycatlady

But instant mash is the top. We had it on Duke of Edinburgh and it was honestly the worst thing EVER.

My sister loves this for some inexplicable reason, she has entire meals of instant mash... It looks like powdery dandruff to begin with but then quickly turns into a mushy, off-white slurry.

I do not see the appeal at all :confused:
This actually isn't awful, but I think it's a bit strange. I only made this cos it's all that was in the house. 2 Slices of king's mill white bread, 3 slices of mature cheddar, butter and smokey bacon pringles. Suprinsingly good
I once ate half a woodlouse.
I make a roast dinner curry. It's not awful though, but it was created out of total laziness/stinginess. I'm a terrible hoarder, even with food. I had spuds, yorkie puds, veg and pork left so I just fried off some onions, added my own spice blend (tumeric, cumin, mustard seeds, chilli powder, garam masala) a fresh chilli and a tin of tomatoes. Added the veg and spuds etc and then chunked the pork and added that. Shockingly good.
Reply 172
White rice with milk + ketchup.

White rice +mayo.

Bread and rice.
Reply 173
Original post by House MD
I read that as 'Naan bread and lead' and was extremely confused as to how that could have happened. Too much Chemistry, I think.

Heehee Sure THAT would have been quite the interesting combination! But noo, peanut butter , much tastier and not as deadly :biggrin:
Pasta and beans, truly horrible.

Mashed potato sandwiches, quite nice but terrible substitute for a proper meal.

My brother once ate pasta with a jar of Sharwood's curry sauce and grated cheese mixed in.. so gross.
Crackers with beans, and cheese grated on top slammed in the microwave. SO good.
In terms of culinary disasters, jelly powder mixed with water as a drink. Oh and cherrios with strongbow instead of milk because it was the only liquid in the house, we were all hungover and the water was off. Vile. My friend and I once made each other 'cocktails' - I ended up with a cherryade/vodka/milk concoction. The milk solidified. Oh mannnn.

Original post by Mocking_bird
I was in the mood for soup, but of course there was no soup.
But there was some gravy granules..... gravy + bread dunked in here we come :P

My boyfriend eats this all the time.
But he's.. odd. If he makes meat off the bone he'll boil and eat the bones.
Pasta and that cheepo curry sauce you get in Sainsbury's for less than 10p. SHOULD be revolting, tasted nice with extra chilli thrown in.

If I am skint I will dip anything in Scotch Bonnet pepper sauce. I dipped toast in it because I had nothing to put in the bread and no butter either. Fail.
Reply 177
tuna tikka masala sounds the worst dish EVER!

iv had some dire dishes in the past, 25p Asda Value Meatballs on Asda Value Toast is one, as is Asda Value meat chunks - im not usually that bad, i think i only had a few quid and no loan at the time

Quick Reply

Latest