The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I think society percieves doctors as being more revered due to the social awareness of what there job comprises of, not many people know about what Lawyers do on a daily basis. In my opinion theyre are both respectful jobs, as doctors save lives and lawyers bring justice to lives. :smile:
Doctors - without a doubt.
Original post by miyah
I think society percieves doctors as being more revered due to the social awareness of what there job comprises of, not many people know about what Lawyers do on a daily basis. In my opinion theyre are both respectful jobs, as doctors save lives and lawyers bring justice to lives. :smile:

Not always!
Reply 83
respect isn't earned from a job description

its earned from what you achieve in that job and in wider society
The major difference is one pretends to be caring.
Doctors. You only go to a Lawyer when it's something bad.
At least Doctors save lives, and help with children and things

Engineers are the best though.
Reply 86
I'd say doctors. Although I reckon more lawyers are lads.
Original post by Hopple
LIPs?

Granted, you need criminal lawyers, but it's the civil lawyers who are demonised.

Yeh...

"This is almost invariably an inadvisable course of action, since the law and procedure can be complex and the penalties if convicted can be severe."

Sounds like attempting a DIY vasectomy to be honest. But point taken.
Original post by Planar
Doctors beat lawyers, but barristers beat both.

A barrister is a type of lawyer...
Doctors by far.
Reply 90
Blood-sucking, parasitic lawyers or life-saving, altruistic doctors . . . hmm, hard to choose.
Reply 91
Original post by TurboCretin
A barrister is a type of lawyer...

Fine - if you must force me to specify - a solicitor.
Reply 92
My sister's studying law, trying to become a lawyer while i'm trying my best to actually get into medcine and become a doctor. Both professions can bring benefit to people's lives, while both can also take from someone else's life.

It also depends on the individual. Many doctors are seen as arrogant, while many lawyers are also seen as arrogant but also greedy.

I personally believe that it depends on what expereince you have had with both lawyers and doctors.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 93
Doctors.

Doctors save lives whilst Lawyers get criminals off the hook. Lawyers don't have a good reputation.
The stereotype that lawyers are greedy, money grabbers etc is completely untrue.
Firstly- criminal law is only one part of many areas of law, and secondly, whilst there may be a barrister defending a criminal for example, there is also a barrister prosecuting (or whatever the word is) the criminal.
If we didn't have lawyers we couldn't enforce society right?
Much like the police, lawyers are evil scum. Until you need them.
Reply 96
Doctors.
Reply 97
I would say doctors. I am a doctor myself and found from my experience lawyers tend to have a callous, arrogant and blinkered nature. That said, some lawyers are very respectable and moral. Doctors tend to be more pleasant in character. My one gripe is the injury lawyers who will try and leave cards in a and e departments encouraging the sue culture. They don't actually care about their clients, clearly have no shame and will goto obscene lengths for money. If lawyers become acutely ill (which they do) they happily accept the treatment from the people they are trying to shaft.
(edited 12 years ago)
Doctors. I'm a lawyer. Though I still say it depends on the type of lawyer, those who work in the Citizens Advice Bureau are pretty good, but then you get the type mentioned in the post above which make the rest of us seem like d!cks.
Reply 99
There are also different levels of respect that different types of doctor get... a psychiatrist, a GP and a neurosurgeon all get different levels of respect from society as a whole.

Latest

Trending

Trending