The Student Room Group

IB Hl math vs A level further maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tommijones22
I am really confused i have to make my decision in today, I want to study Maths/economics at university I was considering Ivy league should I take MThs HL IB or Maths Further Maths? please HELP ME :frown:((( i dunno what to do

post this in the north american uni section. You'll get a much better opinion there.
Reply 21
Original post by Student-1

Original post by Student-1
You're right that FM > HL but IB further is much harder and only a handful of people do it each year as a result (I definitely wasn't one of them!) Apparently it goes well into degree level :-s not sure why anyone would want to do it!! But the rest of your list sounds right :smile: there's also maths studies IB which is easier than sl :smile:

did u took hl math?
Reply 22
Original post by bluesky42
Further maths is not actually a requirement for Mathematics at Oxford. It is simply strongly recommended. In the case that you do have it, yes they will require and A*.

I can't speak for any other top universities though.

yes, the website says A*A*A if you take FM.

if you dont do FM - oxbridge will expect you to teach it yourself and will want to know why you didnt. my friends brother is doing physics at oxford and they asked him to self-teach AS and A2 FM.

cambridge's maths offer requires further maths as well as top grades in STEP II and III, and STEP III relies on a level further maths.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
Just to confirm, Ib Further Maths SL includes all the Higher Level Options from IB HL (such as sets, discrete maths, further calc etc.), and these options go further than anything in FP Alevel. The main differences between IB and Alevel are, IB do not do Mechanics, and some trig fomulae, but do more with vectors, speficially in 3 dimensions. The main difficulty with IB HL is the linear examinations, unlike the modular A Level and IB exams can be horrible as they can go off syllabus (partical fractions as an example). I would say that furthermaths Alevel covers more content but with more time. They are both hard, and if you want to do any maths/number based degree at Warwick, LSE, Oxbridge 7 is a must at HL and they are hard to get. Otherwise most places are happy with a 6 but my advice would be unless you are doing Maths/Maths based/Physics/Computing degree at uni, do not do IB higher Maths, as more and more unis want 666 at higher for degress such as Vet Med (what I am going to do), Med, PPS etc. and this can make you life hell the months before the exams, when subjects like HL English or History are more secure 6's as they are more standard exams. Good luck to anyone sitting exams soon, exspecially people sitting higher maths in a weeks time :/
Thanks I asked for and extension I didn't decide jet the thing is that I really enjoy doing maths... therefore doing Maths and Further for A level would be more time spent on it I dunno any considerations??? :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending