The Student Room Group

Getting into teaching without the appropriate Grades

Hi

I've just applied for a few primary courses this year but have been unsuccesful. Part of the reason I believe is due to my degree being in Business (with a French attachment) and having a pass grade not a full honours degree.
I have several years work experience in Marketing a diploma in It from Birkbeck university and have currently taken a French Delf a2 course and re-taking my GCSE Science this year - however I'm still not confident I have to necessary qualifications to get into teaching.
Would anyone be able to provide me with some advice on what the best route for me to take in terms of qualifications to be considered onto a PGCE primary course.
My concern is that I do not have the time to take a full degree course as I work full time and part time degrees take 4 years. I have considered either pursuing my French Language studies (DELF) as I believe language teachers are in demand and for primary level I'd need a B1 qualifcation. I am prepared to studying further part time in the evening and have looked at either re-taking my French A-level or taking a Cert of HE in French at Birkbeck university.
I've also considered studying Science Further and possibly taking a Biology or Physics A-level next year or even a foundation degree in Science at Birkbeck - as these are also subjects in demand on the national curriculum. is anyone able to offer me some advice on this?

Many Thanks

Matt
Reply 1
Language teachers are all but going to disappear in primary with the budget cuts.

Unfortunately there is not way round not having the required qualifications. I do see concern that you have not achieved the required grades at even GCSE level which is in fact not challenging at all. Secondly a pass at degree level? Would you be happy with your childs teacher not being at all academic? Schools and universities will consider this.
You can do a years top up to make an ordinary pass degree into a honours but that depends if you took the honours in the first place and failed the final year. There might be a lot more complicated if that is the case. If you do not have GCSEs at C or above in maths English and science you need to look into that. Though for primary school teaching not alot of places will take people with none curriculum based degree so I would look around maybe phone a few unis and ask them as they are the best people to point you in the right direction. I think most important is to look at the top up for your degree if you haven't already took your last year and look at your GCSES. Ever thought about college business studies? as you seem to be most qualifiedly in that area
With the languages side of things, your current level of language seems sufficient. I'm on a primary languages strand and can actually speak my languages, but there are people on my course who really really can't. The minimum entrance for the course I'm on was a GCSE in the language, although they advised you to have the A level but not many people do. Meeting the languages criteria should be the least of your worries right now as you won't be getting anywhere without a GCSE at C or above in science as this is a general government requirement for primary teachers, along with maths and English.

The fact you have a business degree won't really be an issue. A lot of providers are interested in the whole person rather than your degree, and there is zero reason why someone with a degree in an NC subject will be a better teacher than someone who does have one. My personal feeling is that the providers with NC subject restrictions do so to keep the numbers of applicants down, but in turn are shooting themselves in the foot as they're missing out on great teachers.

Your main issue beyond the basic qualifications is your degree without honours, as has been said, you need to speak to the issuing university about this as they can give you advice about topping it up.
Hi, yes it is a shame that you do not have a better grade for you degree. You need a full BA(Hons). I am currently studying for my maths gcse which you also need to become a teacher. I also had to re-take my science which I have achieved last year! I went for my first PGCE Secondary interview yesterday. Budgets are being cut and course places are being cut - only 7 on mine, so I was lucky to even get an interview, but then I have masses of experience for my age. I also have a good degree and a-levels. Just keep knocking off your qualifications - do it one by one, for example I am re-taking my GCSE's one by one and it's easier that way if you have a big work load. Good luck!
Reply 5
hi i think i am in a similar situation but the only thing is i have overseas qualifications,n when i got them compared from naric they actually ***** them up....i mean my graduation was B.Sc where my subjects were physics chemistry and computers...when they analysed they said it is comparable to a british ordinary degree...i dont believe that,because when i checked through diffrent sources an ordinary degre is just a pass,where as my marks were all in 70's and 60's...which means it is a good 2:1 degree.may b i am wrong,but my application for secondary physics is going to be affected i am sure...jus hoping for a miracle......any suggestions...?do u think physics being shortage sub,may b i can get thru?
i am not going to retake any degree here as i have already invested nice 3 years into it,n then 3 years into my post graduation...waiting to see if they give me a place ..if not then time for a change!!
Reply 6
Original post by hummi
hi i think i am in a similar situation but the only thing is i have overseas qualifications,n when i got them compared from naric they actually ***** them up....i mean my graduation was B.Sc where my subjects were physics chemistry and computers...when they analysed they said it is comparable to a british ordinary degree...i dont believe that,because when i checked through diffrent sources an ordinary degre is just a pass,where as my marks were all in 70's and 60's...which means it is a good 2:1 degree.may b i am wrong,but my application for secondary physics is going to be affected i am sure...jus hoping for a miracle......any suggestions...?do u think physics being shortage sub,may b i can get thru?
i am not going to retake any degree here as i have already invested nice 3 years into it,n then 3 years into my post graduation...waiting to see if they give me a place ..if not then time for a change!!

No, a low grade means your degree is converted to the level of an ordinary degree, but lower level degrees can be ordinary degrees and you can still achieve higher marks.
Reply 7
Original post by sam.hunton

No, a low grade means your degree is converted to the level of an ordinary degree, but lower level degrees can be ordinary degrees and you can still achieve higher marks.

hi ...thanks but can u plz clarify a bit more...i mean grades etc..if naric gave me an ordinary degre comparison does that mean its not 2:1,still confused...help!!
Reply 8
Original post by beautifulanger

Hi

Thanks, I've looked into to topping up my degree and it's not possible at my previous institution. However I've been told I could get a place on an online top-up degree for the same subject at Bournemouth University. So I would be able to top-up my degree in 18 months and continue working full-time. Alternatively I'm considering applying for the Science Foundation degree at Birkbeck Uni as this would get me a foundation degree in a national curriculum subject - however to top up for a full degree would be an extra 2 years.
kool good luck

I keep seeing this, ordinary degrees effectively have NOTHING to do with grades/marks. The only differences are the credits required at each stage and overall. These are typically 300 for an ordinary degree and 360 for a honours.

I could have the same 300 credits (minus the extra 60 they have done) as someone who has a 1st class honours degree, but get well over 90% in all the same modules and still have an ordinary degree - in this instance who has the better performance?

Of course the difference when applying for certain jobs would be a lack of dissertation which would be the biggest problem.

Original post by hummi
when they analysed they said it is comparable to a british ordinary degree...i dont believe that,because when i checked through diffrent sources an ordinary degre is just a pass,where as my marks were all in 70's and 60's...which means it is a good 2:1 degree.may b i am wrong,but my application for secondary physics is going to be affected i am sure...jus hoping for a miracle......any suggestions...?

As I said above, as the ordinary degree (mostly) has nothing to do with grading - the reason they would have said it is comparable to an ordinary degree will be that you do not have the required number of credits at the right levels (especially if you have the performance you mention).

The number of credits required can vary in countries which can cause this. You can look for a relevant top up degree, if you can find one that is relevant talk to the university about it and you may be able to add the extra credits.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending