The Student Room Group

Is Lord of The Rings 'Geeky' ?

Poll

Is LOTR Geeky?

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine and he seems to think talking about Lord of the Rings is geeky/nerdy :lolwut:

Does anyone else think this? I think LOTR is amazing, I have read all the books and seen the movies several times. I've also read other books such as The Silmarillion telling the history of Middle Earth.

I understand if we were talking about Star Wars, then that could be seen as geeky :awesome: But never Lord of the Rings, it's just plain awesome!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know why watching either Star Wars or LOTR would be classed as "nerdy/geeky". Maybe when you start living your life as if it's real then I can see why.
it's amazing. don't see how Star Wars is nerdy either, they're pretty mainstream films

being able to speak elvish on the other hand would be quite nerdy.
Hell no.
Reply 4
Gandalf, nooooooo!
Reply 5
If you can't appreciate one of the finest pieces of film in the 21st century, if not ever, then you probably shouldn't be allowed to judge if anything is geeky/nerdy.
Reply 6
no way, however it would be geeky to quote the film word for word during conversations :h: on the other hand, it is acceptable to say 'my precious' in a gollum-like fashion!

off topic but still... :dance:

(edited 13 years ago)
Of course it's nerdy, it's about elves and orcs... that doesn't stop it being one of the greatest books and greatest film series of all time.

Nerdy doesn't mean something isn't good, I mean... the more nerdy the better! :rolleyes:
Nothing is too geeky for TSR.
Reply 9
I wouldn't particularly classify it in that genre but it does seem to attract those that are naturally predispositioned to that particular area of interest.
Speaking as a wanna be geek - I love LOTR from the fantasy element and also love the LOTROnline, so I guess that speaks volumes in itself.
LotR and The Hobbit are very mainstream, as are the star wars films. Silmarillion, Children of Hurin etc.... Well that's good geeky ^_^
Reply 11
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
it's amazing. don't see how Star Wars is nerdy either, they're pretty mainstream films

Well I don't really speak elvish but I learnt how to write some of the 'tengwar' elvish font because I thought it was pretty cool. And i've done a few lotr based drawing when I was bored... similar to these below.

Got a Gondor theme tree like drawing on one of my folders.
Reply 12
I was the only girl in my year who liked LOTR, and my friends were shocked because I "don't seem the type" to like such things.

So it's definitely seen to be geeky...but that doesn't mean it is. And I was never seen as a geek in school....yet I was secretly part of the engineering and chess clubs...*hides*
Reply 13
Gandalf: You are soldiers of Gondor no matter what comes through that gate you will stand your ground.

Soldier: **** Me that is a badass troll

Gandalf: Volley!!

Soldier: Im so ****ed
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
I don't care if its geeky, its amazing :awesome:

Also, lots of people I know who wouldn't be classified as geeks love it, so no, I don't think it is.
Depends on just how much you like it really!
Original post by hash007
Well I don't really speak elvish but I learnt how to write some of the 'tengwar' elvish font because I thought it was pretty cool. And i've done a few lotr based drawing when I was bored... similar to these below.

Got a Gondor theme tree like drawing on one of my folders.

ha they're actually pretty good! i've personally got nothing against nerdyness, just pointing out most people would consider you a little obsessed..
Reply 16
Original post by didgeridoo12uk

My girlfriend got me a Teach Yourself Elvish (Sindarin AND Quenya) book for Xmas as a joke present cos she knows I like LOTR. The sad thing is tho, now I know there are people out there who think Tolkien had discovered ancient elvish documents and was really revealing the true history of planet earth..................
Reply 17
Original post by Mally-xo
no way, however it would be geeky to quote the film word for word during conversations :h: on the other hand, it is acceptable to say 'my precious' in a gollum-like fashion!

off topic but still... :dance:

Lmao! That video is hilarious, never seen that one before :biggrin:

Have you seen this

Original post by tikkitak
I don't care if its geeky, its amazing :awesome:

Also, lots of people I know who wouldn't be classified as geeks love it, so no, I don't think it is.
Depends on just how much you like it really!

Well hello there :tongue:
Original post by hash007

I understand if we were talking about Star Wars, then that could be seen as geeky :awesome: But never Lord of the Rings, it's just plain awesome!

What, is there some sort of barometer? :holmes:

Latest