Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread (Mk1)

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for what you said Becbec, but its too late for me to change my A level options, I start on Monday. xD

I'll still try to find more info on retakes but thanks a bunch. Just gotta hope they'll give me a chance

I might try to do one of those "A-level at home" courses though, it couldn't hurt trying to get another qualification in there.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LZ_Dan)
    Thanks for what you said Becbec, but its too late for me to change my A level options, I start on Monday. xD

I'll still try to find more info on retakes but thanks a bunch. Just gotta hope they'll give me a chance

I might try to do one of those "A-level at home" courses though, it couldn't hurt trying to get another qualification in there.
    Okay .. we had people changing at our college until October half term though if you do wish to change.
    And you're right.. if you feel up to doing another one, it'd do no harm at all in having another qualification :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win2kpro)
    Hey, im thinking of applying to either Cambridge or Oxford for medicine, I have been to Cambridge but not to Oxford yet, will be going on the 18th, and therefor I thought I'd ask what my chances are at Cambridge, now obviously there is no machine to calculate this, but an answer of : "Yes you have a chance/ No you dont " would be fine .

Basicaly, I came from Holland and started my year 10 halfway through march, so I did my Gcse's in a year and a few months. For my Gcse's I got the following: 2A*'s 5A's 4B's and 1D, The D was due to me being ill on the day of the exam, with an A in maths, and double science, only a B in English. ( I was learning english as I was doing my gcse's ).

I got my AS results and they were alright:

Maths: 276/300

Thanks for any advice given
    Yes you have a chance - but think VERY carefully about medicine at cambridge (or Oxford) They are the best two Unis in UK but not necessarily for medicine. The GMC are very against the traditional courses they offer - they both proclaim that their aim is to produce 'medical scientists' the GMC wants courses that focus on medical Practitioners. They both have introduced more patient contact in Years 1 & 2 - but it is minimal - you are not going to be studying clinical medicine until year 4. Remember that the course is 6 years - you have to do a 'regular' degree in Year 3. Your clinical medicine is most likely to be in your original choice of Uni although it is possible to swap between Oxbridge unis and both swap with some London medical schools. If you want to be a patient based Doctor - you will have to think very carefully - if you want to go into research Oxbridge is for you. remember that the extra year which going to oxbridge entails can be very expensive - especially if you have to pay full tuition fees - few LEA's are going to fund such years. they will ask about the D. If you want the experience of Oxbridge - go for it - the figures for entry to medicine aren't bad - if you want a good medical training go elsewhere- your choice - remember you have 4 choices - almost anywhere will ask for at least 2 A's - Cambridge will ask for 3 with an A* in chemistry - and the Bmat exam - Gonville and C's takes most medics - don't try and impress with false reading lists and make sure you have some medical placements to talk about - no medical school will really consider you without. Good luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi what constitutes as good GCSE grades for Oxbridge Medicine because I don't know how good they are.

Maths:A*
    Triple Science: A* A* A*
    English Language:A
    English Literature:A
    ICT:A
    Business STudies:A
    French:A
    Drama:B
    History:A

Any good advice is welcome (no negative comments)
    Also I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what grades are likely to impress Oxbridge: Medicine admission tutors in regards to UMS marks in Chemistry,Biology, Mathematics and Economics.

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you from a state school?

Your grades are average, maybe slightly below.

90%s are competitive. A couple below shouldn't be a big problem.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have the misfortune of being at a grammar school and yes I think I know I did badly I could've done better. Could've, would've, should've makes no difference.

(sigh) and I take it below average is bad therefore what must I do to compensate for this in regards to getting my application on equal or better footing with the other applicants. Success rate is slim!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't diss grammars. :0

Just try hard for AS. Get four 90%s and it should compensate.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by praneesh)
    I have the misfortune of being at a grammar school and yes I think I know I did badly I could've done better. Could've, would've, should've makes no difference.

(sigh) and I take it below average is bad therefore what must I do to compensate for this in regards to getting my application on equal or better footing with the other applicants. Success rate is slim!!!!
    The average Oxbridge applicant is rejected. That's the truth.

You can get in with worse GCSEs (I did). You can be rejected with better (a friend was).

As for what to do. Get good AS grades, write the best PS you can, get a good reference (work hard and diligently, read outside the course), develop an interest in your subject and an ability to talk intelligently about it. Hope you get an interview, and try to impress them there.

These days, you'll ideally be wanting A*s, or 90%+ UMS scores, but exceptions are always the rule.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou that was indeed sound advice! Yeah its my first day at sixth form and I think I'm going to work very hard this year; especially as the gcse results gave me a kick up the **** and also because I now study subjects I both enjoy and have a desire to succeed in.

Thanks for the advice again

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I want to apply for cambridge to read natural sciences (biological) but I am still open to studying at oxford also.

I got 6A*s 4As at GCSE. Not too bad.

But at AS I did terrible.
    Chemistry- A
    Biology - A
    Physics - A
    Maths - C (Core 1 81%, Core 2 74%, Mechanics 1 44% )

I plan on retaking all those modules again in January 2010 but it will be too late for cambridge to know so have I just ruined my chances of getting in?

Any advice would be really useful now, thank you

btw. I dont really have an excuse at to why I messed up, i wasnt ill, I have no problems.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virgil)
    Maths - C (Core 1 81%, Core 2 74%, Mechanics 1 44% )

I plan on retaking all those modules again in January 2010 but it will be too late for cambridge to know so have I just ruined my chances of getting in?
    I wouldn't apply to Cambridge this year with those Maths marks - your chances would be slim to none.
    If you really want to study Bio NatSci I'd take a gap year (and do something useful in it) and reapply in the next cycle.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would there be any point in thinking about oxford instead? or are my chances just as slim?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virgil)
    Would there be any point in thinking about oxford instead? or are my chances just as slim?
    There is some point in thinking about Oxford, provided that you can still hide your AS grades from UCAS by not certificating them ("cashing them in"). If you can still do that then they'll only have your GCSEs (which are good) and your predicted grades (which I assume will be OK) to go on grades-wise, and so you'll have some chance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it still possible to do that these days or has the system changed?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Application for law:

GCSE: 10 A* 2A (maths and drama)

AS: Philosophy: 89%

English lit: 92%

History: 100%

Chemistry: 79.67% (so one UMS of an A lol)

Is the B a huge problem, basically?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boucicaut)
    No, no it's not.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boucicaut)
    Application for law:

GCSE: 10 A* 2A (maths and drama)

AS: Philosophy: 89%

English lit: 92%

History: 100%

Chemistry: 79.67% (so one UMS of an A lol)

They're really good grades! I don't think you'll have much of a problem - especially with such high UMS in Lit and History! I did post for reassurance... but also so that you would see my sig and join us! :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becbec :))
    They're really good grades! I don't think you'll have much of a problem - especially with such high UMS in Lit and History! I did post for reassurance... but also so that you would see my sig and join us! :rolleyes:
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!

I know it's stupid, but I go through cycles of 'its going to be fine' to extreme neuroticism.......guess I should get out more :s
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey! I really would love to apply to do English and got As in English lit, maths and history and a C in Spanish (getting a dodgey module that brought it down remarked) but I've heard that they want you to have over 90% UMS in at least 3 of them and I havn't got that . I got 9A*s and an A at AS and I'm from a "low income" background with no history of uni and the sixth form isn't great (thinking applying on access scheme )
    Any advice would be muchly appreciated!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbna)
    hey! I really would love to apply to do English and got As in English lit, maths and history and a C in Spanish (getting a dodgey module that brought it down remarked) but I've heard that they want you to have over 90% UMS in at least 3 of them and I havn't got that . I got 9A*s and an A at AS and I'm from a "low income" background with no history of uni and the sixth form isn't great (thinking applying on access scheme )
    Any advice would be muchly appreciated!
    90% UMS is a guideline, not a strict rule. What are your UMS marks? How close were you to 90%? I'd still say apply, if your interview goes well you've got a good chance.
Updated: August 16, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.