Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread (Mk1)

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ahhh thanks, cant remember exactly, maths was about 86%, English was high enough, history about 87%, i think :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dawgnuts)
    Hello can someone please evaluate my chances, much appreciated

I obtained 2A* 5A 3B 1C at GCSE from a school with 23% pass rate

During A levels, I had moved to a school that's near top of the league table (State Grammar school)

I obtained:

A Maths 89% (6a)
    A Further Maths 83% (5a 1b)
    A Chemistry 89% (6a)
    A Physics 83% (5a 1c)
    A Chinese 83% (2a)
    B Business Studies (3a 1b 1e 1u)
    D General Studies (2a and rest are like us lol)

Also I got a GOLD in 2008 British Maths Olympiad

Applying for Econ, have lots of work experience and extra CA
    Was rejected from Oxford last year, so I really need to know whether or not I should try with Cambridge

Thanks

Bump please reply
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bump please reply
    To be honest your UMS (and GCSEs to some extent, but that will be compensated by your school) are a bit low, so I think you'd struggle to get an offer without a fantastic interview. Doesn't mean it isn't worth a shot though, especially if you do something impressive in your gap year.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    To be honest your UMS (and GCSEs to some extent, but that will be compensated by your school) are a bit low, so I think you'd struggle to get an offer without a fantastic interview. Doesn't mean it isn't worth a shot though, especially if you do something impressive in your gap year.
    Thanks

But I would like to add that, my module scores shows a progressive improvement. In As Chemistry I had BBB, I retook and got AAAAAA in A2 (and a few full marks too in other exams, and my exams in A2 are like 2x as much as in As).
    I believe studying in my old school was the main reason for the slack off at the beginning of my A levels, do you think it is worthwhile including this somewhere in my personal statement?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

But I would like to add that, my module scores shows a progressive improvement. In As Chemistry I had BBB, I retook and got AAAAAA in A2 (and a few full marks too in other exams, and my exams in A2 are like 2x as much as in As).
    I believe studying in my old school was the main reason for the slack off at the beginning of my A levels, do you think it is worthwhile including this somewhere in my personal statement?
    Probably not in your personal statement, but maybe get your referee to briefly mention your improvement and reason for it. From the SAQ Cambridge will see that your A2 marks are a lot better so that could work to your advantage.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably not in your personal statement, but maybe get your referee to briefly mention your improvement and reason for it. From the SAQ Cambridge will see that your A2 marks are a lot better so that could work to your advantage.
    Oh wow, after seen your academics I might just give Cambridge a miss lol

Do you know what your colleagues' grades are like?

And a non-related question, what do you want go into after graduation/masters ect...
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, after seen your academics I might just give Cambridge a miss lol
    Don't be put off by it - I just knew how to play the exam system.

Do you know what your colleagues' grades are like?
    The ones at my college in the same year as me have similar if not better grades. But we were the best performing college this year so I don't think that's particularly representative.

And a non-related question, what do you want go into after graduation/masters ect...
    I'm undecided at the moment, but am considering training to be an actuary.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't be put off by it - I just knew how to play the exam system.

The ones at my college in the same year as me have similar if not better grades. But we were the best performing college this year so I don't think that's particularly representative.

I'm undecided at the moment, but am considering training to be an actuary.
    :zomg:

But how much different is there between any two colleges of Cambridge? lol
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    :zomg:

But how much different is there between any two colleges of Cambridge? lol
    There isn't meant to be much difference, but when you consider that the average score for us was a highish 1st and the average score for one of the other colleges was a lowish 2.ii then it does make you wonder. (And yes, I am aware of the tiny sample sizes before anyone jumps at that.)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MUFC_thereligion)
    Hi,

i really want to apply to cambridge for engineering. My A-level sujects are Maths(which ive finished already), Physics,Economics and Further Maths. Ive also completed an AS in Biology and plan to do an extended project this year. Im predicted an A at further Maths.

If my UMS for all my As are very borderline especially for maths what chances do I have with a strong reference and personal statement?

GCSE's: 7A*s 3As

Thanks
    The thing is, everyone will have a strong reference and personal statement... if your UMS are good enough to get you an interview (which, if they're As, I expect they will do) then you need to dazzle 'em there, and then you'll have a chance
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There isn't meant to be much difference, but when you consider that the average score for us was a highish 1st and the average score for one of the other colleges was a lowish 2.ii then it does make you wonder. (And yes, I am aware of the tiny sample sizes before anyone jumps at that.)
    Wow that's quite big.

And also doesn't Cambridge make something like 180 offers for 166 place? So there must be people who fail to obtain the offers/or have lesser UMS scores? :awesome:
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    And also doesn't Cambridge make something like 180 offers for 166 place? So there must be people who fail to obtain the offers/or have lesser UMS scores? :awesome:
    I don't have the numbers but that sounds about right. And while some people miss the offer, others choose to go elsewhere (i.e. LSE or abroad).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't have the numbers but that sounds about right. And while some people miss the offer, others choose to go elsewhere (i.e. LSE or abroad).
    Ok tyvm for your infos

But one last question, and in your opinion, do you think Cambridge tend to choose candidates with highest academic grades; or above a certain level of ability, Cambridge will emphasize more on other types of qualities?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    But one last question, and in your opinion, do you think Cambridge tend to choose candidates with highest academic grades; or above a certain level of ability, Cambridge will emphasize more on other types of qualities?
    I'm going to have to revert to the official line here, which is that Cambridge will aim to choose those with the greatest academic potential, which will often but not always be demonstrated by high grades.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to butt in on this but quick question, Its just this AS maths grade (aswell as many other things but I digress) thats gonna screw my chances of oxbridge.

I found that my school dont hide AS results, but can I hide it by "cashing it in"? I would ofcourse leave my other sujects because there were fine.

If I can hide it, how do you go about cashing it in?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cashing it in means the official certification of your AS modules into an AS qualification, so the opposite of hiding it.

However when you fill in the additional Cambridge application form, you have to put down every module result anyway, so they can see everything regardless.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So if I apply for cambridge I must show it, without a doubt. But what about oxford?

I've heard you can just simply type "pending" in your UCAS application in the space that would have been your AS grades, this shows the uni that you are resitting without actually telling them your UMS scores is that legal?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, but you have to put everything on the SAQ anyway.

I'm not sure about Oxford, sorry.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hiya everyone. I know this will probably get moved into the stickied thread but ah well.
    I have been dithering about applying to Cambridge for a long time. I absoloutely LOVE the university and Clare College in particular. If I applied I would apply to do German and Russian Combined Honours. I'm a strong candidate otherwise, good work experience, have done both french and german exchanges and am busy learning the Russian alphabet, reading Thomas Mann translations and researching Russian culture and history ect. My Personal Statement is taking shape and I think I've managed to communicate my passion for languages and why I want to study them.

The thing that worries me is my grades. I got at GCSE:
    A* in French, German, English Literature and English Language.
    A in Science, Further Science, Maths and Art.
    B in Graphic Design, Religious Studies, ICT (DiDA) and Welsh.

I then took French, German, English Lit and English Media at AS.
    I got As in all 4 - 100% in Media, 89% in French, 85% in German and about 83% in English Lit.

Knowing Cambridge's view on Media, I dropped it, and also as I will be predicted A* in German and French so I needed to only have 3 subjects to concentrate on the languages.
    So I'm now taking French, German and English, to be predicted A*A*A I think.

The reasons I'm hesitating are my GCSE grades...Clare College expressedly told me they don't consider anyone with less than 5A*s and the teacher who is the expert in Oxbridge applications at my school told us they don't really consider people with more than 2 Bs...
    So if either of them are true, I don't have a chance. I took quite a few GCSEs (also one in PSE but I don't count that lol) and I hope they would notice that my A*s were in the subjects I am carrying on to A level.

But I love the university so much and was so impressed with the language courses and modules you can take I don't want to give up on it.

As someone who either has knowledge on the application process or has studied at Cambridge, would you say go for it?
    Thanks
    • 4 followers

In what world are A*A*A*A*AAAABBBB poor GCSE grades?! These threads are really starting to get boring. I'm really holding myself back from ranting here; there are so many things I want to say that I'm refraining from saying :p: For what it's worth, I only got 2 A*s, and I know people with more than 2 Bs who have offers. Additionally, the GCSEs that you got Bs in aren't really relevant to your degree, so I don't see the problem. Apply goddammit.
Updated: August 16, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.