The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

out of 24 i had 7 or 8 i think.
Same here, about 7/8 out of 24.
Not really that important I'd say, although if you can manage it your in a good position. I got 18/24
Reply 2103
I had 4 (out of 16) modules at 95%+ when I applied. I now have 11 (out of 34).
Reply 2104
Would you think that someone with an A* at A2 for a Maths A-level would be capable of going Cambridge?
c0nfus3d
Would you think that someone with an A* at A2 for a Maths A-level would be capable of going Cambridge?

possibly, what did said someone get in Further Maths?
Reply 2106
munro90
possibly, what did said someone get in Further Maths?

A in AS?
Reply 2107
c0nfus3d

You can only try.
But I'd say almost all mathmos will have found single maths pretty trivial, the A level isn't the test there.
Reply 2108
Slumpy
You can only try.
But I'd say almost all mathmos will have found single maths pretty trivial, the A level isn't the test there.

has anyone actually gotten into Cambridge with minimal extra curriculars?
Reply 2109
c0nfus3d
has anyone actually gotten into Cambridge with minimal extra curriculars?

I imagine plenty of people have.
I'd say that the idea that they couldn't care less about anything except your ability applies even more for maths, given our reputation for unsociability.
Reply 2110
Slumpy
I imagine plenty of people have.
I'd say that the idea that they couldn't care less about anything except your ability applies even more for maths, given our reputation for unsociability.

lol- what about for economics?
acm345
how are you predicted 2 A*s at A2 if you got a B at As? For my predictions you need 90% at As for an A* prediction

because of my potential, and i dropped chem t take up further maths,which is predicted at a*
emilY?
It may not be the "norm" for an applicant- but its perfectly likely that someone may change they way they view their studies between GCSE and A level. I've heard an admissions tutor say they recognise this.

How "failing" was your school? Special Measures is easily declarable via a ticky box, or it used to be anyway, if I remember rightly. If not, whether CSAS applies or not, get a reference which notes the quality of your school - the headteacher might be best placed for this?

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/saq.html#faq - shows the SAQ doesn't have an additional teacher reference specific to Cam, but says they are welcome to contact the college directly.

thanks for tha, yep my tutor will write about this in my ps
Reply 2113
c0nfus3d
lol- what about for economics?

I know a few who do some things, but I think there's a couple without much extra curricular, and some with lots.
It doesn't really matter.
Reply 2114
Slumpy
I know a few who do some things, but I think there's a couple without much extra curricular, and some with lots.
It doesn't really matter.

really? does the PS matter a LOT?
I'm not that good of a writer lol
Reply 2115
c0nfus3d

It matters a bit, but basically what matters is how good you are, and how enthusiastic.
I'm sure there's asticky or something with this kinda stuff in it, because I think ability/suitability are basically all that they look for.
Reply 2116
c0nfus3d

All of these questions have been answered a hundred million thousand times over in the rest of the forum. Would you mind looking at the big stickies in bold bright colours at the top of this forum, and using forum search, and not posting in the chat thread designated for current students? Thankyou :smile:
robert_k
I'm interested in roughly how many people got. Whether most people are exceeding 10 modules or whether 4 or 5 is the norm.

I got over 95% in 23/30 modules, but I have no idea what the 'norm' is.

robert_k
Also do you think that these high modular scores are more important for science students than for arts students?

Perhaps, though clearly they still have some importance as a discriminator.
Reply 2118
Hi,

Well I had my AS this year and got AAAB. The B was in maths.

I got A (85%) in C1, 79% in C2, but an E in M1. NOoooooo...

Has this messed up my chances of applying to cambridge? Ofcourse I plan on resiting for my other unis, (they wont see these grades I presume? right?)

I dont have an excuse, like I was ill or anything I just ***** up this exam.

Any advice i would be grateful

p.s Can you lie on your saq? no... DAMMIT
Virgil
Hi,

Well I had my AS this year and got AAAB. The B was in maths.

I got A (85%) in C1, 79% in C2, but an E in M1. NOoooooo...

Has this messed up my chances of applying to cambridge? Ofcourse I plan on resiting for my other unis, (they wont see these grades I presume? right?)

I dont have an excuse, like I was ill or anything I just ***** up this exam.

Any advice i would be grateful

p.s Can you lie on your saq? no... DAMMIT

What subject? And no you cannot lie on your SAQ

Latest

Trending

Trending